-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone have any real world experience with Kohler Home Gens? I’ve had Kohlers in several boats and they are pretty bullet proof. After hearing some unfavorable reports of reliability with Generac, I am strongly leaning towards a 20 kW Kohler. They reportedly outperform the Generac 22 kW Guardian series plus has a peak capacity that exceeds the Generac 22 kW gen.

The wait times for generators are horrendous at the moment (hardly surprising). Accordingly, I made a deposit a few weeks ago, so I have time to decide as my installer carries Generac, Kohler, and Briggs & Stratton.

Any ideas?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of those three I would go with the Kohler from reports I've read about reliability issues with the other two. If I had my choice though, I would go with an Onan . They cost a bit more, but they have been making these things for RV's and other uses for a very long time and have them down pretty well by now. I used to install these when I was an electrical contractor and the Kohler's and Generac's were just reaching the market.. so all I know about them is anecdotal.

Have you considered what bells and whistles you are going to order with the unit? There are a couple I would strongly suggest you invest in - automatic exercising, oil level alarm, block heater, engine overtemp alarm, starting battery charging, remote start. Several of these options would require an automatic transfer switch for your install but I've always considered these options well worth the investment...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Those Germans up there in Wisconsin in the Sheboygan area not only make good sausage but they are pretty good at designing & making other things too.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have about a 7 Kw LP Kohler Backup Generator as part of my solar electric system at my off-grid cabin in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I use it to condition my batteries, and during late grouse season and deer season when there's little sun it runs to charge the batteries about once every other day for two hours. Just sits there from the end of November to the 1st of May when I can't get in due to snow. I had it installed about 2010. Change the oil and filter each spring, and the battery once every 3-4 years. Never had a problem with it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Does anyone have any real world experience with Kohler Home Gens? I’ve had Kohlers in several boats and they are pretty bullet proof. After hearing some unfavorable reports of reliability with Generac, I am strongly leaning towards a 20 kW Kohler. They reportedly outperform the Generac 22 kW Guardian series plus has a peak capacity that exceeds the Generac 22 kW gen.

The wait times for generators are horrendous at the moment (hardly surprising). Accordingly, I made a deposit a few weeks ago, so I have time to decide as my installer carries Generac, Kohler, and Briggs & Stratton.

Any ideas?
I have a 12 year old genrac 17kw whole house gen.Never one single problem with it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RalphBeagle
I have about a 7 Kw LP Kohler Backup Generator as part of my solar electric system at my off-grid cabin in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I use it to condition my batteries, and during late grouse season and deer season when there's little sun it runs to charge the batteries about once every other day for two hours. Just sits there from the end of November to the 1st of May when I can't get in due to snow. I had it installed about 2010. Change the oil and filter each spring, and the battery once every 3-4 years. Never had a problem with it.

I'd probably grab one of those solar trickle chargers for the battery for when you aren't there.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 20KW Generac quit on day 6 of Laura aftermath, had to use gasoline generator for the next 18 days

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

S
S
I am a certified service tech on these unit and hands down without a doubt in my mind I would choose Kohler over Generac. The older series 1 generacs were great units. Last 7-8 years they have went downhill faster than an Olympic skier. Very few calls on Kohler. Sitting here waiting for this storm to hit and I know once it does i will get at least 4 calls on Generacs not starting.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
100% Kihler. I have a 35KW.. Been running it for 13 years. Zero issues. Had to replace a transfer switch once (not a Kohler problem). Just ran 100 hrs straight ftom H. Ida. H. Gustav it ran 96 hrs straight. That big V8 engine just rolls! Runs 4 AC units, 4 freezers rest of house with no problem! You will pay on the front end, but I know of 4 friends who bought what the installer said and ended up with a Generwreck yard ornament in this storm. 98 degrees and 98% humidity is a beast with no AC for 4-5 days (or as they are telling some neighbors-6 WEEKS without power!!)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of the three your only going to hear about people who have problems. When I have a rifle built I ask the gunsmith what barrel he likes. That’s what I use. I would do the same with my generator selection. Ask dealer, installers what they like.
I have the Generac 22 kw. It has only ran during one power outage that lasted 60+ hours. No problems.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kohler has been making a good unit for a long time. Check the KVA ratings of the units KW ratings can be a bit deceptive depending on power factor. Natural gas or diesel or gas driven? I know of several generac natural gas units that seem to do a good job.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borchardt
My 20KW Generac quit on day 6 of Laura aftermath, had to use gasoline generator for the next 18 days

What was wrong with it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious. What caused it? Generacs use oil and will shut down on low pressure but your engine is in trouble by then. I have a Generac 22KW that uses about a pint every 48 hours. With less than 2 quarts capacity and a 10 day power outage bad stuff can happen. My neighbor kept restarting his 17KW without adding oil and had to rebuild the engine. Mine is 4 years old and good so far. Kohler or Onan are probably better machines.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Seips
I am a certified service tech on these unit and hands down without a doubt in my mind I would choose Kohler over Generac. The older series 1 generacs were great units. Last 7-8 years they have went downhill faster than an Olympic skier. Very few calls on Kohler. Sitting here waiting for this storm to hit and I know once it does i will get at least 4 calls on Generacs not starting.

What about the Cummin/Onans?

Do you also service the Kubota diesel generators?

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seips

Thanks for this. It matches exactly with what I am being told by my electrician & generator guru. They love the new Generacs as it keeps them flush with expensive service calls. Great for the service technician, not so great for the homeowner.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Kohler!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Toddly

What was wrong with it?

Fuel mix valve

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My only experience with Kohler is the 26hp engine in my Craftsman garden tractor. It's been run hard for 14 years and it's been bullet proof. I wish I could say that for the rest of the tractor.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 22kw generac. That is at least 7 years old. Works great.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.