Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think their best use is to aid in making YouTube videos. Noisy PITA to carry if walking around.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wish my calling was better and I dodnt need them to distract the birds. I cant do the mouth calls to save my life.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by humdinger
I cant do the mouth calls to save my life.

If you buy them at Sporting Good stores that might hold true forever....years back I used to tell people if you want some diaphragm calls go to the Bass Pro shop parking lot close to me because all I've bought there went out the window before I left the parking lot.....All I've encountered took too much air to play. I'm not looking for a diaphragm call that I can call a turkey in the next county with.

If you are not tone deaf and have most of your teeth there is no real reason you can't learn to play the right one....there's the key.

Two words "right one".

Will you go broke before you find it ?....Possibly.

First you need to get the simple basics of a playing a diaphragm call....you put it in your mouth hold it up against the roof of your mouth with your tongue...you start to blow/huff air from your diaphragm.

You're looking for the high pitched beginning of the yelp.....yeeee.....then you just drop your jaw and the rear end awwwk just happens.

Diaphragms are semi automatic.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shane Simpson has a good video on how to select one. Not sure of it’s spot on, but it would explain why I can use some but am hopeless with others.

My go-to is a Black Magic aluminum pot. Easy-peasy. Can’t believe some of the prices they get for glass ones now. A good box call like a Lynch is pretty easy too.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by humdinger
I wish my calling was better and I dodnt need them to distract the birds. I cant do the mouth calls to save my life.

If you set up correctly you don't need to call when the bird is in sight. If a gobbler believes you are a hen, and you are in a place it will come to, and it has to come within gun range to see your position then calling more is little use. Moreover, when you are in such a situation your odds go up. They'll more often show up than you might expect. It may take a good long while, but it works.

Or you can play trigger man for the little Chinese gal who made the decoy that is actually responsible for the kill.

I'm not a great caller, neither. But I do kill turkeys. Well, I'm a better caller than LFC; particularly with trumpets. But then I use better trumpets than he makes. So, it's not really a fair comparison. If he ever got a truly accurate trumpet, and learned what turkeys actually sound like, he might do better.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Down here no one uses decoys unless you are taking a child or someone that has never called in a bird. Kinda takes the skill/fun out of it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That was funny.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.