Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
John,

Maybe "a bit" would have been better used than "hard". Either is an precisely inexact term. Like I said the newest brass still has tight primer pockets after 5 or 6 firings right about 3000fps (c.2985 instrumental Oehler 35 center screen @ 10'). I had some WW brass that had 12 firings before it retired, but that was also used in load development so was past the point where I stop now at least twice. Unsure how much speed the 25" barrel adds. Maybe 25 to 35 fps/inch? Negligible over a 24", but noticeable over a 22". Was going to cut it back an inch at a time after a good load was found to see how many fps were lost, except the rifle balances & handles well as it is. The loads have been trouble free after some initial teething pains. If you were wondering, nickle 280 brass cracks at the neck/shoulder within 3 to 5 reloads after fireforming, but looks cool as schidt with CT Ballistic Tips. It's the same with my other Ackleys. The '06 has a 26" barrel & knocks on 300 H&H speeds with 150s to 180s. The Roberts was 26" & came near 25-06 speeds, but got sold. The 22-250 is only 24"... for now, but betters any 26" Swift I've ever had. Brass life is beyond good with all, but I run them close to red line because that's where they seem to group best. A win/win it seems. Yes I did read most of Bob Hagel's stuff, but tempered it a bit with a lot of Ken Waters.

Now about pressure... equivalent of what? It's certainly higher than a factory '06 & so far, less than problematic. I have no pressure equipment other than a .00005" micrometer & a chronograph, so I bow to your experience with actual pressure tested loads. If the brass lasts as long, or longer, than the same brass in a regular factory chamber with plain old regular loads below "book max." (think 50-52 gr 4064 in WW brass with a 150 in the '06) it makes me curious how unsafe it could really be. Are there really +/-10% pressure excursions with carefully prepared handloads showing SDs often in the teens or lower? Thanks-358.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Never had the AI in 338-06, no need with a 24 inch barreled 338-06, H-380 powder, and 210gr partitions at a 1/2 moa accurate 2800 fps, save the throat, component cost and time, neck up 30-06 brass with one pass, load, zero, and go hunt. smile

It's a great cartridge, haven't fooled with big bears of the great white north either, but wouldn't hesitate to do so with 250gr A-Frames at 2525 fps over RL-17, or any other critter that inhabits that big spot on the map.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Compares favorably with the x62 in your opinion?

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have been saying this for 15 years now: 338-06 ballistics are an ideal mountain rifle set up in bear country.

Make that longish shot on the sheep or goat through 30 mph winds with a sleek 200-225 grain bullet.

Drop the scope and hike out with the magazine loaded with 275-300 grain bullets sighted to the open sights. Middle of the night, when a curious bear comes to sniff your pack full o bloody sheep meat, that rifle will feel just right in your hands........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
More trigger time is a real pain in the ass.......

Haha. Truth.

To add -

I’ve got several 338-06 rifles and love them. Never tried the AI but can’t see it doing bad things if even limiting the case stretching & maximizing brass life with no other gains might be a net positive.

Stack up a bunch of 200gr Speers & 210gr NP and even several 250gr NP because you can - you’ll be set up for about everything.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In agreement with Atkinsonhunting. There does seem to be a difference (to me, at longer ranges) between a 338-06 (in any of its versions) and a 338 WM or in my case a 340 Wby. I really like the 338-06 almost to a level that some might call excessive - but - it’s not a 340 Wby or a 338 WM. Those two rounds just seem to stomp stuff like they should be illegal especially in the long range penetration department.

My goodness - I don’t know how to express how great a 250 grain Nosler Partition is - and I know there are other, better bullets that I don’t have experience with but I can’t imagine more of a reliable bedrock, simple, at all cost performer.

All of this is my .02 and I’m not a gun writer or professional in any way but have killed lotsa stuff with lotsa stuff.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Is a 338 06 AI practical? Nope.

Any real advantage over a non improved 338 06? Nada.

But I like it. And that sharp 40 shoulder looks cool.
😁
And NO ONE else will have one in an Alabama deer camp. Hell, most people give me a puzzled look when I respond to their questions about what's I'm carrying in the woods.

And it HAMMERS Alabama critters with a 200 gr SST at 2875 FPS.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For something really impractical, I also have a 35 Whelen AI. Mule Deer has called it the most useless AI cartridge.

Practicality? Meh...

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think this thread is a good example of why resurrecting an old thread for more discussion is not necessarily a bad thing.
i have two .338-06 (standard versions) and a .35 Whelen AI. The Whelen feeds very smooth in its Mauser action with no mods (was born a Husky M98 30-06)
Do whatever you like on your build. I think the AI is cool, even though neither of mine is an AI. The basic .338-06 is great too and you'll love it as well.

Best of luck,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might as well have an AI - it’s not like the normal 338-06 is that normal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Then there's the 338 RCM PRC LMNOP on the short action. Mine holds 4 down, weighs 6lbs 8 oz without scope. Equipped with good open sights, its turn key from the factory. Only thing I did was sell the synthetic stock and ordered a walnut stock from Ruger.

60 grains of reloder 16 under a 225 grain Federal fusion is what I'm running.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/05/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends of what you may see an an advantage.

For use in the field killing game (the intended purpose------ unless the purpose is making the "numbers higher" to impress yourself) the simplest answer is simply "no.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Is a 338 06 AI practical? Nope.

Any real advantage over a non improved 338 06? Nada.

But I like it. And that sharp 40 shoulder looks cool.
😁
And NO ONE else will have one in an Alabama deer camp. Hell, most people give me a puzzled look when I respond to their questions about what's I'm carrying in the woods.

And it HAMMERS Alabama critters with a 200 gr SST at 2875 FPS.

For something really impractical, I also have a 35 Whelen AI. Mule Deer has called it the most useless AI cartridge.

Practicality? Meh...

Not sure why he says that, Volume increase isn’t that much less than a 280 AI percentage wise.

Granted, it’s really about the pressure difference of the reloaded rounds !
Supposedly, the AI doesn’t show pressure signs as soon.

For me, I haven’t decided if spiral bolt fluting is a real functional improvement , or simply an affected style feature.

338’06 Go your own way : Alaskalanche built a beaut off of an 84L Montana ‘06 rebored , with a 20” barrel.
A thing of beauty in the bush.

Others go with a longer barrel, and the AI gives more combustion chamber and less trimming, to take advantage of it.
338-280AI takes it to a fairly practical limit using standard brass.

Some have used the 280 RCBS for the optimum shoulder angle for combustion and a little easier feeding after necking up to 338. I can’t see much real difference their over the AIs 40 degree shoulder, but some folks are willing to pursue that compromise especially in a crf action.

4 or 5 down doesn’t hurt either.

I like ‘em both

Last edited by 338Rules; 09/06/21. Reason: The rest of the story

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
338Rules,

Hmm. Are you saying any tiny difference in velocity and, perhaps, accuracy makes a noticeable difference in "killing power"?

Sorry, but could not resist. But if you LIKE it, why not?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s all about the “Panache” !

As I get older, and so much maturer, I am starting to realize that “Killing Power” has as much to do with Accuracy, as Initial Velocity , Ballistics of Drop & Drift, terminal velocity, and finally terminal impact performance All Combined.

Thanks for not resisting !

Cheers

Last edited by 338Rules; 09/06/21. Reason: Clarity

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 338Rules
It’s all about the “Panache” !

Yes it is. 👍

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Then there's the 338 RCM PRC LMNOP on the short action. Mine holds 4 down, weighs 6lbs 8 oz without scope. Equipped with good open sights, its turn key from the factory. Only thing I did was sell the synthetic stock and ordered a walnut stock from Ruger.

60 grains of reloder 16 under a 225 grain Federal fusion is what I'm running.

Got the left hand blued/wood version of this. It smacks thing hard. This is the real Improved version of the 338 as it has nice proportions, has irons on it and handles wonderfully with its 20" tube and short action. It's been the best rifle I've ever had to date and it's closeout price of $499 NIB was a steal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My AI was strictly a good rifle deal I couldn't let get away... On the receiving end definitely no advantage I can see...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by outahere
I have the 338-06 Imp on a model 70 classic. It feeds very smoothly so, at least in my rifle, compromised feeding is not an issue.

The supposed hassel of fireforming is another complete non-issue ... you do practice with your rifle, do you not? Two birds with one stone and all that.

There is probably less case stretching with the improved version but that really is another yawner. If you are too lazy to trim every few firings, you are probably too lazy to handload well.

If you find yourself in a situation where you have to use standard factory 338-06 ammo (good luck finding it) than go ahead and use it. The accuracy in my rifle suffers not at all when fireforming and velocity loss is negligable. The worst that will happen is you will end up with more fireformed brass.

You will realize a velocity gain of maybe 35 to 40 fps if you do not lean on things too hard. This is a negligable gain in the real world but it does seem to fall under the category of "free lunch".

The only issue of consequence is, I believe, having a gunsmith who is competent enough to see that your rifle feeds propery.

Do what ever you want and sleep easy after the fact - there is no wrong choice between the two. In either case you will end up with an easy to load, easy to shoot and extremely potent big game getter.

Nice old thread. I agree with this ^^^^^^.
Doing it on a Mauser will cause some feed issues either way and mag box length issues either way. Both can be over come.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
AI cartridges give plenty of benefits:
- increased velocity
- increased efficiency
- reduced brass stretch
- reduced bolt thrust (very good for a military Mauser)
- better headpace (and likely improved accuracy)

I doubt I would build a rifle in .338-06, but if I did I would definitely do AI. There really is no downside.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 09/09/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
My AI was strictly a good rifle deal I couldn't let get away... On the receiving end definitely no advantage I can see...

Woody! Good to see you on the 'fire... and HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY! Hope its a good one....

some of us miss ya around here..... one of the good guys, we've been sorry to see ran off by the idiotic Trolls...

Have a good hunting season my friend....

Myself... I'm thinking this may be my last one...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.