Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nollij Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, I stayed up at the lake Monday night to avoid traffic, and after a windy, stormy night, I woke up to the all kinds of fun. No one was hurt, it's just stuff. My Dad's Glastron that he has had since new in 1986 seems to have made it mostly intact. I pulled my boat off the lift the afternoon before as did our neighbor. Oh well, the world keeps turning. Time to get back to work.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My Dad had recently repowered the Glastron. Boat had a Mercury XR2 on it, and it was a legit 60mph rig. It will do about 55 or so with the 4 stroke. I long ago lost count of how many Walleyes and Northerns we've pulled into this boat.

The neighbor's lift. It was pulled up by the storm, walked across their other lift, and deposited top down beside and behind the other lift. I'm glad I was inside during the storm.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Man that's tough to see. Beautiful boats

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't mind - Where? (Understand if you don't care to specify.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Nollij Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Kabekona Lake. Not far from Leech.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Experienced something similar over on Potato Lake near Park Rapids a number of years ago. Were staying at a resort. The rope holding the front of my boat tore part of the dock away, the rear held. Lots of lifts looked like those pictured. One boat upside-down on shore.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ouch. My pontoon lift was moved 100 yards on Big Pine when that tornado hit Wadena

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to kick you when you're down, but the cover has to come off the lift when the boat does. Fun with numbers, a rough calculation for wind force:

0.00256 x the square of the wind speed x Area

For a 60 mph wind and a 10'x20' cover that works out to 1,843 pounds of force. Of course angles and drag coefficients affect everything, but the numbers add up quick and boat lifts get flipped.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Not to kick you when you're down, but the cover has to come off the lift when the boat does. Fun with numbers, a rough calculation for wind force:

For a 60 mph wind and a 10'x20' cover that works out to 1,843 pounds of force. Of course angles and drag coefficients affect everything, but the numbers add up quick and boat lifts get flipped.

Yup, and the new cover wasn't cheap.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted by Nollij

Any hail or just wind? I have a camper parked just south of Walker?

Nollij Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG

Kick away. I had concerns about the blowout on the new cover not being adequate, but had never had lifts move with boats on or off for 20+ years. I went to the well one too many times, and am paying the price.

IC B3

Nollij Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bubbajay

Any hail or just wind? I have a camper parked just south of Walker?

Wind and rain. Trees down. Downdraft was the word folks around the lake kept using.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie
Ouch. My pontoon lift was moved 100 yards on Big Pine when that tornado hit Wadena

That the one that leveled the school?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JOG

Kick away. I had concerns about the blowout on the new cover not being adequate, but had never had lifts move with boats on or off for 20+ years. I went to the well one too many times, and am paying the price.

Well, your handling it better than I would. I would be a "little tense." lol

Of course, I just bought another boat early summer (after a 10 year gap) and a lift later on. Lack of rain has our lakes so low that I didn't even bother putting the lift in at the cabin and you have to search for an access that has deep enough water to launch/load in.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,524
Posts18,452,784
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.