Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Calling Phil Shoemaker!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NVhntr...thanks. Following the links gets you to the Ammoland piece which has links to the local news reports. You are now The World's Foremost Authority.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problem, it was easy.
Even you could have done it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I figured a few people get a little wound over what the article claimed. I’m pretty sure that is why the author wrote it. As for me, I prefer bigger calibers than 9mm for bears. I was just surprised by the results in the article. Actually I’ve killed a pretty fair number of black bears and at close range the 9mm will work. In Utah all I carry is a 9mm. In Montana I don’t have nearly as much confidence in the the 9mm as bear protection regardless of what the article said.

Lastly I didn’t put that junk out there. I cleaned up the bottles I took out, but I agree that it’s sad people trash public land like that. The only thing good about that place is that it’s a target rich place to burn a little ammo. This winter I plan to go out there and pile up anything that will burn and torch the pile. If I ever catch who is dumping all that junk they will get turned in immediately!

Last edited by Big Sky; 09/09/21.

Is it Friday yet?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Maybe a combination of large magazine and controllable recoil. I had better be right first time with a .44 blackhawk. That said, all we have here is black bears. If I went to gruz country I would take ( from current guns) a .41 da, .357 da, .40 cap pistol, or .357 sa, or a 12 ga.

IC B2

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There is a lot of truth in what you said about being right the first time with a 44 mag. I’ve killed a number of bears and I’ve never been overly calm while doing so. I can only imagine what my adrenaline and heart rate would be if I were being charged. I shoot handguns relatively well, but I’m not so sure that would be a true statement under extreme stress. I personally do not enjoy shooting a 44 mag a whole lot.

Is it Friday yet?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was a Black bear guide carried a S&W 44 mag. most of the time sometimes a 12 ga with buck shot ....one day had my 45 ACP had to use it shot a 200 lb. bear at 2' it had smoke coming from its head.....
For me a 9mm is just not enough 45 ACP would be the minimum....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tleec
There’s video of some guy taking down a feral hog with a gamo pellet gun on YouTube. It’s more about aim and the grace of God

For all matter, there is anti-matter.

Go check the video with Wade Boggs and a Gamo pellet gun hunting hogs. Lost count how many times he shot this one poor hog he chased across creation.

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Montanabadger, it's going well. How are things in the northeast part of the state?

It's going, I'm about to head south to salt lake city for a bone marrow transplant. Wish me luck, a few prayers wouldn't hurt.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10 mm would be a better bear gun but it is on the lite side too. People who live and work in bear country have a much better idea of what to carry. Like a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. Nice video by the way.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 09/10/21.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Montanabadger, it's going well. How are things in the northeast part of the state?

It's going, I'm about to head south to salt lake city for a bone marrow transplant. Wish me luck, a few prayers wouldn't hurt.

I'm not Big Sky, but since you asked and are going down for some serious stuff, you've got mine.

Kick its ass!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Big Sky. Great video.

Have you tried to work with the local branch of the agency that presides over that place? Besides burning, they may be able to come up with funding for a dumpster for the non combustible stuff.

And I haven't been involved in quite awhile, but in the mid 2000s I participated in a cleanup day on some checkerboard ranch land that was mostly organized by some sportsman's organizations and outfitters. Helps with maintaining access to places like that you were shooting at.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,118 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.