Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image from static2.hotcarsimages.com]

One day when I was 18 two of these passed me on Telegraph rd doing at least 140, one on each side, the noise was deafening and they shook my car like it was a rag doll.

Ever since then the Superbird has been a dream.
in 1981 my best friend bought one of these sum bitches , it was that blue with the white interior, 440 6pack with the pistol grip 4 speed transmition. one day we decided to go to bentonville ar. he had worked all night and wanted me to drive. we were just south of kansas city mo on 71 hwy and i had that thing laid out going south at about 140mph and met a mo hyw patrol and he was headed north. I let off the gas and brought her down to about 70 mph and sure enough here comes that patrolman ! lights on and balls out! I pulled over woke up my buddy, told him what was happening. that cop came to the drivers window and wanted to see in the trunk. he never ask for a license or anything . when we opened the trunk he told us that he had a car just like this one and was looking for a certain mark ( scratch ) in there. he said that while he was in the service his mother made his dad sell the car and he was just wanting to see if this one was his old car. he never said a word to us about how fast we were going. just told us to take care of that car ! i was sure I was going to catch hell ! those were the days !

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
GB1

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS LS6 454 red with black stripes

[Linked Image from heacockclassic.com]

when I was 18 I had a 72 ss big block it was the yellow with the black stripes and cowel inducted hood. selling that car is a regret I will carry to the grave ! at 23yrs old I bought a 81 Z28 with a 350 4 speed . and my dad refused to let me leave the chevelle in the barn on the farm. I had no place to keep it inside , so after 2 yrs of trying to juggle 2 cars and my first house, I decided to sell the chevelle and keep the z28. boy was that a dipchit decision !!! still know where it is , but they wont even talk about selling it !

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
1965 Mini Cooper S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of great cars shown here and a few I'm surprised aren't shown (yet)...

I've been a car guy since before I was old enough to own one and owned a number of great cars over the years that were very fast, or very sporty, or both at one time or another. However, I found out that good looks don't always mean a great car...
I've always thought the early C1 and C2 Corvettes were some of the best looking cars ever made and I still have that opinion. However, after driving a few and being in more than few that were driven hard I would never own one in original configuration. For an old guy on a Sunday drive they are probably great and that is where an awful lot of them seem to be ending up due to their increased value these days. But the fact is they aren't a car you can drive hard and enjoy- they just handle like crap and feel about the same in the seating and driver ergonomics. Purists would hate me as I would love to get a 67 Vette and Restomod the hell out of it with a custom chassis, great handling components at all four corners along with huge brakes, a modern LS engine , and an interior that would do justice to a true sports car... then you would have a Corvette as it was supposed to be built IMO....

I built a Cobra because I always wanted one and couldn't afford an original and wasn't impressed with many of the kit cars available. The project was the biggest reason I built it and I enjoyed every minute of it even though it took way too long to complete with work, family, other obligations that got in the way. Learned a lot along the way and one of them is- if you're going to own a high performance car like some of these in this thread do yourself a favor and learn how to drive it before going crazy with it. We've all seen the results of drivers at the intersection of more car than they can handle and lack of driving skills or unexpected behavior. Cobras are the epitomy of this with typically 400-500 hp at the rear wheels, a 90" wheelbase, and a 2,000-2,400 lb car with a small cockpit and limited space to maneuver... as in any car that is on the edge of control like some of us like to think we are good enough to drive- they can get away from you with just a moment's inattention... been there , done that.... as I bet many of you have.

And don't let the wet blankets keep you from enjoying your dream. I don't feel I have to justify to anyone why I own a hot rod as long as I enjoy it. Once I stop enjoying it the "thing" will go down the road and I'll find something new to enjoy... if I wasn't getting so darned old I would look into building an airplane from a kit or some other crazy thing like that... smile

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 09/09/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Toyota Landcruiser Pickup.....crew cab......would do me just fine as I have no need for sporty cars here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
58 chev impala blue and white rag top,, or 56 lincon 2 door.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Why are you so critical about how or why others choose to spend or might want to spend their own money on cars?

I like fast street/highway cars for driving because for me they are fun to drive, but I've never fantasized about being a Formula 3 racer. To each their own.

Not critically condescending, but maybe critically thinking. I had "fast street/highway" vehicles and I thought critically about that. I mean, I used critical thinking. Again, the point of that criticality isn't to condescend what you think is fun, but to ask myself, "what's the point?" "Is there something to this other than a simple amusement?" If you've ever had a really fast vehicle, you've probably been confronted with the dearth of skill to use it anywhere near its potential. It's a kind of absurdity. I never fantasized about just possessing a race car, but I long ago decided I would rather have the skill to drive what I have than a more impressive vehicle without the skill to use it to any meaningfully different effect.

There's nothing remarkable about Formula 3. I suppose I could have posted a Formula 1 car but my point wasn't about some ultimate race car. I could have just as easily posted a kart, a Formula 500, or even a Sprint Car. To me, the racing ethos is more meaningful than mere baubles that middle-aged, middle-class men lust after in a pursuit to make their dull life more "fun." The problem with it, that is the racing ethos, is that it tends to be all-consuming.

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Michael Delany (Steve McQueen), Le Mans

If you ever spent more than a little money on cars, you'll be thinking pretty critically about it too. Thinking about why you do that and whether it makes any kind of sense is not something that's easy to get out of such a one's mind.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by jar
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image from static2.hotcarsimages.com]

One day when I was 18 two of these passed me on Telegraph rd doing at least 140, one on each side, the noise was deafening and they shook my car like it was a rag doll.

Ever since then the Superbird has been a dream.
in 1981 my best friend bought one of these sum bitches , it was that blue with the white interior, 440 6pack with the pistol grip 4 speed transmition. one day we decided to go to bentonville ar. he had worked all night and wanted me to drive. we were just south of kansas city mo on 71 hwy and i had that thing laid out going south at about 140mph and met a mo hyw patrol and he was headed north. I let off the gas and brought her down to about 70 mph and sure enough here comes that patrolman ! lights on and balls out! I pulled over woke up my buddy, told him what was happening. that cop came to the drivers window and wanted to see in the trunk. he never ask for a license or anything . when we opened the trunk he told us that he had a car just like this one and was looking for a certain mark ( scratch ) in there. he said that while he was in the service his mother made his dad sell the car and he was just wanting to see if this one was his old car. he never said a word to us about how fast we were going. just told us to take care of that car ! i was sure I was going to catch hell ! those were the days !

Former coworker and friend (now deceased) was a Mopar collector, but primarily Superbirds and Daytonas and usually kept several in different colors and configurations on hand for years. At one time he owned easily over a dozen in various colors and configurations, including some with hemi engines. His dad had owned a Mopar dealership back in the day so he grew up loving muscle cars and especially the Plymouth / Dodge "wing" cars He used to get ribbed pretty hard about being such a "wing-car" nut . He told me though they can laugh now but those "fuggly wing-cars" were his retirement fund. He showed me a letter he got from the owner of major Mopar dealership located in Michigan once wanting to buy everything Mopar / Mopar related he had and to "name his price".

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well i cant post pics so i'll list em.

Viper triple black convertible
600 series MB V-12 triple black convertible
'70 hemi Cuda black
'69 Roadrunner plum crazy purple
'52 Dodge B3PW power wagon green and black
'07 CVO Harley SE springer softail

All fun, but mostly sit around sucking on battery tenders ; ]

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunner500
Well i cant post pics so i'll list em.

Viper triple black convertible
600 series MB V-12 triple black convertible
'70 hemi Cuda black
'69 Roadrunner plum crazy purple
'52 Dodge B3PW power wagon green and black
'07 CVO Harley SE springer softail

All fun, but mostly sit around sucking on battery tenders ; ]

Very Nice collection.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
What's with all the old guys in convertibles these days anyways?

I see those old clunks everywhere this summer reliving the 70s. <eye roll> smile
Tastin' them sour grapes there, SC? laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by RickBin
[Linked Image from ]

Hell yeah.
'63 Split-window... (drool)..

But - this is more to what I'd love to have: https://www.boyceequipment.com/m35a3-bobbed-deuce

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by EdM
Though not a rocket I enjoy driving the green one about as much as the white or grey ones. Turns out lots of folks grew up with a family Dart apparently.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My first car was a 73 Dart. That lime green color.

my BIL's driveway. People must have some kind of connection with those cars

Last edited by KFWA; 09/10/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
[quote=EdM]Though not a rocket I enjoy driving the green one about as much as the white or grey ones. Turns out lots of folks grew up with a family Dart apparently.

My first car was a 73 Dart. That lime green color.

my BIL'd driveway. People must have some kind of connection with those cars

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quotemy fist new car what a 69 Dart Swinger with a 340 in Medium Green just like the Green pictured only his is a 70 or newer.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by Whelenman
That’s nice! 302 or 427?

427 small-block stroker, crankshaft dyno HP 485, 505 lb. torque, Tremec TKO 5-speed.

Uff-duh. You'll shoot yer eye out!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
One of these three. I don't really care which one:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Well the top one will start when you want it too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AZmark
I've pretty much filled my bucket list for vehicles.
47 Willys
71 F100 short bed 4x4
Jeep Wrangler TJ

That truck is bad ass.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Always wanted one of these.

makes my nipples hard............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Yall can have and enjoy your small pee-pee ED compensation euro sports coupe mid life crisis fàg wagons 😃

This right here son.....👍👍👍👍

More expensive than any other car shown, except that Euro rig...and you can make money with it.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,197
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.