Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Range of cost to have a pre-fit installed? New action, no barrel to remove. I know it's a couple of minutes job for someone with a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench, and go/no go gauges.

Thanks

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know about a real gunsmith, but around here a package of deer meat will get 'er done.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Range of cost to have a pre-fit installed? New action, no barrel to remove. I know it's a couple of minutes job for someone with a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench, and go/no go gauges.

Thanks

You don't need a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench or go/no gauges. I have done many just using a vice with wooden inserts and a new factory round for headspace (back off snug a little bit). You can use a strap wrench to tighten up the nut if you don't have the wrench made for the job though I have that wrench.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rickt300

Thanks

You don't need a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench or go/no gauges. I have done many just using a vice with wooden inserts and a new factory round for headspace (back off snug a little bit). You can use a strap wrench to tighten up the nut if you don't have the wrench made for the job though I have that wrench.

No nut, it's a shoulder pre-fit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300

Thanks

Shucks, why don't you just beat it on with a hammer until it looks about right?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I am pretty good with a sledge hammer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on the rifle it's going on.
Some require a lot of care and fitting. Examples can be Pre-64 Winchester M70s, 1917 Enfields, SMLEs and Springfield 1903s They have to be set up to time correctly and clear the extractors. Most autos other then the AR15 are also in that class.

Others like Mauser M98s, Remington M700s and Ruger M77s are very quick and easy.
So saying "new action" doesn't give enough info to answer the question.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sorry....Defiance anti. Guaranteed headspace for shoulder pre-fit. Will likely be a Proof pre-fit barrel. It should be about as easy as it gets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
you ought to be asking your local smith that's gonna do the job. Not trying to beat him up on price by finding the lowest price some other smith is charging. You want him to stay in business? Or you looking to do this for someone else??

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't have a local smith. That's why I'm asking. The only two nearby that I would trust anything to have stopped doing smith work, one produces suppressors and the second only does machine work for custom projects now.

I'm asking to get an idea of price, figure in cost of shipping to/from....and compare that to the cost for me to pick up a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench, and go/no go gauges and do it myself.

Parts I'm providing:
Defiance anti w/guaranteed headspace.
Proof Research pre-fit barrel already chambered.

The job:
Screw the barrel on to ~80 ft/lbs. Check headspace.

I thought it was a simple question but this is the campfire....

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
This is what's needed, with the exception that the action doesn't need the recoil lug since it's integral:

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've never used a torque wrench to tighten barrels. You take the crush value and then calculate the index angle. Hand tighten the barrel, scribe a line on the barrel and the action. You then you scribe another line on the circumference of the barrel indicating the distance the barrel needs to be turned to tighten to achieve the proper crush fit. I've used this method on my long range prone match rifles, centerfire benchrest match rifles and hunting rifles that I've built, never had any issues. Unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a torque wrench... 😉

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am pretty good with a sledge hammer.

Even the shouldered prefits are pretty easy, actually even easier than the nutted prefits. A vice with wood pads and a strap wrench. Still I would have someone check the headspace just for luck. You don't need it to be incredibly tight, 50-75 foot pounds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry....Defiance anti. Guaranteed headspace for shoulder pre-fit. Will likely be a Proof pre-fit barrel. It should be about as easy as it gets.

Why not get a barrel vice, action wrench and head space guage and do it yourself? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Why not get a barrel vice, action wrench and head space guage and do it yourself? -Al

I'm asking to get an idea of price, figure in cost of shipping to/from....and compare that to the cost for me to pick up a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench, and go/no go gauges and do it myself.

I thought it was a simple question but this is the campfire....

Have wondered the same so bumping this for Jay.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks for the bump Joe.

This thread reminds me of a quote from a forum member here who was a gunsmith....asking for info here is like bobbing for apples in a septic tank, you might eventually get it but it's just not worth it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not sure where you're located JCM. I have the tools and do my own pre-fit shouldered barrel installs on a Bighorn Origin. When I asked one 'smith to do this, I think it was around $80. I bought the tools instead and the $80 I would have spent went towards go/no go gauges, grizzly action vise and Bighorn action action wrench.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Jay,

PM or call Shaen (shooter's here) he will give you a fair price, then you han decide of you want him to do it or buy tools to do it yourself.

I've got a wheeler barrel vice and action wrench, I've never used id sell if you want them, or I'd be happy to loan them to you.

Pretty sure you can rent headspace guages too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread reminds me of a quote from a forum member here who was a gunsmith....asking for info here is like bobbing for apples in a septic tank, you might eventually get it but it's just not worth it.

Fair enough. wink

Here, this would include checking the action and tenon threads dimensions prior to fitting, trial fitting with Dykem to verify contact at the shoulder, checking headspace with a real headspace gauge (not a piece of brass), cleaning and final assembly with the appropriate lube on the tenon and the barrel torqued to the action mfg. recommendation. $100 will cover it if no problems pop up.

Hope this helps. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it is a pre-fit that is GUARANTEED to headspace up correctly, I would charge about $65 plus return shipping and insurance. I use the corrrect headspace gauges and if it don't fit up right it is a whole new ballgame. Heed what Al says, he knows what he is doing

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.