-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What synthetic stockoptions, other than the unobtainium tupperware version that came on the S/S Classic, are available for the Win 70 Safari Classic CRF? Keeping in mind (or from what I recall) the newer Safari's use a one-piece trigger guard/floorplate, and have the under-barrel recoil lug.

Understand McM is always an option. Not seeing anything from HS that would fill the bill. Same goes for B&C and Hogue.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Swapped out the original stock of my M70 SE for a High Tech Specialties stock set up to fit me. This is back when Mark Bansner had them. He's doing something different now, I guess.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Forgot about High Tech Specialties - Brown Precision too.

FWIW, years ago I had a Rem 700 that I had rebarreled to 375H&H. 22" IIRC. Dropped it in a Brown Precision and shot the daylights out of it on the range developing loads. The barreled action went down the road to someone who had more purpose for it than I. The Brown Precision was re-purposed and now holds a 280AI Custom.

Anyway, I digress. M70 Safari Classic, CRF is the topic of discussion now . . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yea, my M70 Safari Express in H&H is a better off-hand shooter in the H-T Specialties stock for me than when it sat in its original wood stock.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Do you want a tupperware versions from a stainless classic?

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Bad time to want anything so specialized.
Buy a quality stock that otherwise fits your needs. Have it fitted to your gun. RH LH wrong action or vintage...no matter it will all get fixed in the fitting. OR DO IT YOURSELF basic 10th grade body shop work. Use Marine Tech.
I put a Brown Pre-64 I found used and glassed in. Did not fit my Classic SS it made the stockfitter cuss a bit, but $200 labor and a $75 gun show stock is currently on my everyday rifle. A while back I started a rant "Why no M-70 ... on ask the gun writers. Quite a few replies.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love these from Bell & Carlson still a great bargain at $300. Inflation !
A shim can be found or made to make this fit the 2-piece bottom metal.
I have one on a 1990s M70 Classic that I converted from .416 RemMag to .458 WinMag, with 1-piece bottom metal.

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1082

[Linked Image from bellandcarlson.com]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
McM here on my M70 416 Rem is Zimbabwe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Picked up this Stainless .375 early this year that was already fitted up with Sunny Hill drop bottom metal and fiberglass stock. So far I haven't been able to determine who made it but they sure did a nice job.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For reference, the McMillan-Sunnyhill combo for M70 long action:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I always add pillars to the McMillan when bedding:

[Linked Image]

No need to do that with the Bell & Carlson or HS Precision with full bedding block.

HS Precision, if they still make them:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Latest HS Precision: https://hsprecision.com/product/pss021/

PDF spec sheet: https://hsprecision.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/PSS021_SpecSheet.pdf

It fits the two-piece bottom metal, can be inletted/fitted for one-piece.
Inflation has got this one up to $479 (before custom options) and at about 2.5 pounds is a few ounces heavier than the Bell & Carlson.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bansner has a couple versions available for the M70. Can be inletted LA or SA, RH or LH, 1 or 2pc bottom metal, and fit with recoil pad and LOP set for in the neighborhood of ~$525. It'll still need final sanding and finishing. 2 week turn around I'm told. Not sure whether it'll accommodate the the bulkier 375 barrel though. Didn't ask - my bad . . .

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Bansner has a couple versions available for the M70. Can be inletted LA or SA, RH or LH, 1 or 2pc bottom metal, and fit with recoil pad and LOP set for in the neighborhood of ~$525. It'll still need final sanding and finishing. 2 week turn around I'm told. Not sure whether it'll accommodate the the bulkier 375 barrel though. Didn't ask - my bad . . .

I can confirm tonight but I’m 99% sure it will.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by WiFowler

I can confirm tonight but I’m 99% sure it will.

Appreciate it. While my safe doesn't currently hold a 70 Classic in 375, there's nothing to say it won't in the future. My experience with Banner stocks has been favorable. It's nice to see another quality option for the M70.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Confirmed. It’s about max, but it will work nicely.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Confirmed. It’s about max, but it will work nicely.

Thanks for the confirmation. I may just have to order one, so I have it when/if the time comes I 'need' it . . . . . . grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the HS Precision Sporter on my Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Weatherby. Has the full length aluminium bedding block and inletted for the 2 piece bottom metal. The only thing I would change is the recoil pad, it is not a Decellarator, even though it is a Pachmeyer pad.
It’s not very pleasant off a bench but not noticeable shooting game with it.

Cheers.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I’m having a McMillan Super Grade put together for my M70 stainless classic.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 40 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.