Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16421835 09/10/21
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I want an AR type platform in .22 LR. What brand is considered the most reliable and accurate? Emphasis on reliable and accuracy. I’m intrigued by the HK but have not fired one. I have shot a few S&Ws and they seemed ok but I’m just looking for more feedback

I will add a can from time to time and most likely it will wear a low power variable for plinking and to use as a truck gun.

I want a good gun and not trying to skimp with a cheapie but what are considered the better 22 LR setups on AR type rifles?

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve had 2 S&W 15-22’s and while they are exact trainers, they are light and the bolt slapping the plastic receivers was almost as loud with a can than without. They both were very reliable after I sent the first one in for the upgrade but neither were what I would call accurate.

If I was looking for one today, I’d look hard at Tippman.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I wanted a metal receiver and FSB, so I picked up a barrel and BCG from CMMG, Black Dog magazines, and assembled it myself.

It's not a match gun, but accurate enough, sub 1" 25 yards with bulk fodder. Haven't tried any of the good ammo. It's been 100% reliable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Politics is War by Other Means
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
One thing to consider is that the H&K isn't really an H&K. It's made by Umarex, the parent of Walther, who also made the short-lived Colt variant. They had a weird takedown that made it very easy to damage parts.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a Spikes Tactical 22lr upper that is extremely accurate and has been completely reliable. I fully recommend them!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CasualShooter
I have a Spikes Tactical 22lr upper that is extremely accurate and has been completely reliable. I fully recommend them!!

That sounds like a good option.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by CasualShooter

That sounds like a good option.

I looked on their site but did not see .22s

I really want a complete rifle though

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went with a CMMG upper.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Have an HK416
I bought it for fun and didn’t have too high of expectations. I handled and shot a buddies SW and was not overly impressed so I wanted to go a different route.

Biggest drawback to his SW was unreliable feeding and ejection.

The HK does not have a great trigger but definitely feels a bit more solid in the hands. And I have run that thing to filthy and back and it simply will not fail.

It chews up and spits out anything I feed it

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Have an HK416
I bought it for fun and didn’t have too high of expectations. I handled and shot a buddies SW and was not overly impressed so I wanted to go a different route.

Biggest drawback to his SW was unreliable feeding and ejection.

The HK does not have a great trigger but definitely feels a bit more solid in the hands. And I have run that thing to filthy and back and it simply will not fail.

It chews up and spits out anything I feed it

That sounds very good. I like a reliable weapon. If it's not reliable, its just about useless as far as I'm concerned. Can't you just replace the trigger with a better one? How's the accuracy buddy? A couple guys at my club have the CMMG's and they are not impressed with the accuracy at all. They will not use them for any type of competition we have at the club. This is only a sample of 2 though. Others may have better results. From what I've seen, bone stock 10-22's will outshot them. The HK sounds like a good option, if I were in the market and if it is accurate. The OP may not be as concerned about accuracy as I am, as I like to use my rifles in different types of matches.... Interesting thread that I am following...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bsa... I don’t know that I’ve looked into a better trigger option... if I did I forgot what I came up with!

It’s been used primarily to chew thru the lower rungs of bulk ammo at swinging steel and usually in a rapid manner.

As such I can’t give you an accurate review on inherent precision. I wouldn’t expect too much from it in that regard

But I’m not kidding when I say it’s been run hard and dirty. Nary a hiccup. Same goes for a brothers rifle so sample of 2

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bsa... I don’t know that I’ve looked into a better trigger option... if I did I forgot what I came up with!

It’s been used primarily to chew thru the lower rungs of bulk ammo at swinging steel and usually in a rapid manner.

As such I can’t give you an accurate review on inherent precision. I wouldn’t expect too much from it in that regard

But I’m not kidding when I say it’s been run hard and dirty. Nary a hiccup. Same goes for a brothers rifle so sample of 2

Thanks cert.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I also have an H&K/Umarex 416. I agree with Certifiable. I have put about 700 rounds through it so far without cleaning, and except for one or two misfires (that both had deep firing pin strikes and were ammo-related), it has not bobbled at all.

Compared to a S&W 15/22, the H&K is much closer in weight and feel to a real AR (while still being light and handy, about like a Colt SP-1). The manual of arms with the K&K is not exactly like a real AR...the bolt lock is cosmetic; not functional,(so is the forward assist) so you have to cycle the charging handle every time when loading and reloading. It has a decent trigger. Mine shoots groups of about 1 1/2" at 50 yards with a red dot, and I consider that excellent accuracy from a .22 AR.

It has quickly become one of my favorite rifles.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/12/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
nordic 22lr is the standard for off the shelf.

cci SC is 10 for 10 on a 1 mil plate at 200

runs like a top

would heartily recommend them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idle question with no intent to dis the OP’s inquiry. Why not a 25 rd mag in a 10/22? Would seem cheaper, maybe lighter? Mine cares not about which magazine and shoots sub 1/2” at 50 yds 7 days/week. It’s still shooting fine after ~50 years.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Idle question with no intent to dis the OP’s inquiry. Why not a 25 rd mag in a 10/22? Would seem cheaper, maybe lighter? Mine cares not about which magazine and shoots sub 1/2” at 50 yds 7 days/week. It’s still shooting fine after ~50 years.

Great suggestion. You must be running an aftermarket barrel because most 10-22's don't/wont shoot "sub 1/2" at 50 yards" on a consistent basis. I know you love accuracy like I do, so you wouldn't make a blanket azzed statement as such. Trust me, I love it when guys at my club or elsewhere say their 10-22's shoot 1/2" groups all day long. Or the funny statement I hear a lot is, "a bone stock 10-22 will shoot 1/2" groups all day long"... I call guys out on that chidt. Did it 2 months ago at a rimfire shoot my club was putting on. You guessed it, the guy's 10-22 shot 1 1/2" groups "all day long" He even has a hard time hitting golf balls consistently at 50 yards, and they are 1.680" minimum...A lot of guys don't realize that a 10-22 that shoots consistent 1 moa is a prized possession. I like your idea though. Maybe the op is tired of 10-22's and their hype though?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 10/22 had a factory original barrel. Did a bedding job on it about 20 years ago and is shoots just dandy.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 09/14/21.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a freak, Dan!

Never sell it!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, it isn’t for sale. It didn’t shoot worth a crap until I bedded it. So simple a caveman did it.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.