Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wondering what vintage this might be, 2021, 2015, 2019? Or which facility manufactured? Correct, I don't have a clue. Just noticed, it has a top tang safety, I don't know if I could like that.

Thoughts on how it'd compare with a Uberti, Chiapa, Taylor, Cimmeron, or such?

Thanks
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/04/21. Reason: ?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Did you look at the top left side of the barrel inscription?
It will probably have a roll die stamp saying Winchester Miroku Japan.
Under the Browning licensed name.

The Tang Safety isn't a problem, it's actually convenient for your thumb.
Get a box of cartridges and try it out!
I heard they shoot well!
I don't own one, only the older Vintage, so I can't tell you, about my personal experiences!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 09/04/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sorry, it's an auction item. I have not followed Winchester at all. I like it! I am debating. I hate to buy sight unseen. Especially one a hundred and twenty years old. Yet, torn between what way to go, new or OLD. Truthfully, I saw some Winchester levers around 1980, USRAs, that I think were terribly executed. I know this is not that vintage. I really like this rifle's styling.

I have since found these we're brought out in 2018. Darn few available for purchase currently. So, 2018-now, figure Japan?

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/05/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Apparently the tang safety looks like this. This is from the 2005-2006 Trail's end rifle in the classifieds, 94 38-55, a New Haven gun....

--- Kid Rock 2022

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I understand what you mean. I've talked to a few guys in the past that like them, for what they are, and they sure do look good, in my view!

Cost wise, naturally, their less $ than the older, more traditional Vintage Winchesters, as you already know.

It's just a matter of what you want. Look at the wood to metal fit in the example pic above, that bothers me.
Yeah it might not effect shooting performance, but I just rather spend more for a better fit, and possibly a better made Rifle! JMO!

Again, the new Rifles are attractive, other wise they wouldn't sell!

If your not sure, wait on it, and think it out! Sleep on it! JMO!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Same page brother, that wood to metal fit is half-assed or worse. I wonder if the Jap ones are as bad? The Chiapa Cimarron 1886 I was looking at was near uniform and tight for production work.... I have wondered, I like the purdy case color, but, I think I prefer a good blue job.... But then they didn't even get the pores filled!

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have 2 model 94's. One from 1949 and one from 1979. Both WRA New Haven production of course. Just took both of them out to have a look and can't say one is any better than the other in wood to metal fit or that either is much if any better than the one pictured above.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A tang sight will not be a reasonable option with the tang safety.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What you have is a Winchester 94 Sporter made under the Winchester name by Miroku in Japan. The model 94 has been made since 2011 by Miroku. The sporter is the half round/half octogon 24" barrel version which came out in 2017 or 18 . Your rifle MSRP is listed as $1,439.99. One can be found on Gunbroker for around $1,200.00 NIB. An internet search will give you a bit more info including a video or two on your rifle.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes sir. And the 38-55 was released for Shot Show 2018.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I have 2 model 94's. One from 1949 and one from 1979. Both WRA New Haven production of course. Just took both of them out to have a look and can't say one is any better than the other in wood to metal fit or that either is much if any better than the one pictured above.

My Grandpa, vintage 1910, had a bunch of Winchester levers, 94s and others, bought used when he had extra and others didn't.... Preferred the pre-war stuff IIRC. I can't fathom why I didn't show more interest in them when he could have learnt me, but, he, nor dad seemed to either. We were bolt gunners. Heck, I didn't hear about the Marlin 336 or Savage 99 until I heard it here! I should just get the 336 out and shoot it, it's hella accurate, and paid for! LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have several of Mirokus. Browning BPS, Winchester 1886 carbine, both '91 vintage. Another Winchester '86 lightweight rifle from 2012 w/tang safety. The '91 guns; true Win/Ithaca repros. The '12 edition' w/tang safety, not. Quality, 'similar'. I've not noticed wood to metal problems. The tang safety is handy... "if needing/desiring". My opinion - heck of a lot less aesthetically 'intrusive' than prior safety unit attempts! Significantly, 'it' can also be removed, "scar" aptly covered with installed tang aperture sight.

I like all three Mirokus; prefer the earlier pair faithfulness to design originality!
To me, beyond different engineering; the pre-64 genre, really different. I own several pre '64 each in '94 and 1886 configurations. Fundamental Model 1894/94 genre never exactly "tight" cycling experience. Inherently bit 'loose'. That said, the look and feel of the early Winchesters 'different'. Blue particularly different and less than pure safe queens, typically worn!

And again - 'that said', we all live in a different era and the early Winchesters, notably priced differently. Objectively, some of us "Old "Fxxx" as personal definition applying, never likely to utter "same quality". Subjectively to say "early better". Objectively to admit, latter quality simply "different". In my world re the Model 70, that particularly true engineering subtleties and CNC machining; a different creature. Such than the 'Pre' genre; latter with superior metal in critical barrel AND receiver AND bolt. Chrome moly incorporation in latter two components, unnecessary, but damn... Nice!

Personal opinion. If you're not from the old 'hard line' school... Relax and "celebrate the difference"... Whatever the heck that means in guns, but sounding good!

Just my take!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 09/08/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks John. I appreciate your input! One thing for certain, I need a 44-40, 45-70, and 38-55 lever gun equaly, so, I best get all three. Kinda like those Marlin 1893s too.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.