Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Best wishes for his speedy recovery.

You may want to ask the doctor how familiar they are with the diagnosis and treatment of tick-borne diseases. Many are hesitant to diagnose.

Thank you.

Took him to an urgent care last night. They put him on 2 weeks of Doxycycline. 200mgs per day.

I wonder why some docs have that hesitancy? I experienced the same when I had Lyme.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rgramjet
[quote=SheriffJoe]

I wonder why some docs have that hesitancy? I experienced the same when I had Lyme.

Maybe because doxycycline is the standard drug and a lot of people are allergic to it and you are supposed to stay out of the sun when you take it. You're more prone to sunburn when taking cycline drugs.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

More likely it has to do with the prevailing schools of thought in the medical community that disagree on diagnosis and treatment.

Some searches will clarify those approaches.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You may be right. What I do know is doxycycline works for me, but it makes me feel like crap and after a week or so gives me the sh*ts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got back from a trip to the cabin.

My son just noticed a bullseye rash on his arm. He had an itch there on Saturday but noticed the distinctive shape today.

We have a doctor appointment at 930 tomorrow morning. My wife wants to take him to urgent care now. I don't disagree.

No need for urgent care. If they do the test it can take a couple weeks to get the results BACK and THEN start the antibiotic or do like we do and just start the antibiotic and by the time the test gets back you've forgot you were sick, EXCEPT you REALLY WANT TO STAY OUT OF THE SUN with that particular antibiotic they give you for Lyme.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Just got back from a trip to the cabin.

My son just noticed a bullseye rash on his arm. He had an itch there on Saturday but noticed the distinctive shape today.

We have a doctor appointment at 930 tomorrow morning. My wife wants to take him to urgent care now. I don't disagree.

No need for urgent care. If they do the test it can take a couple weeks to get the results BACK and THEN start the antibiotic or do like we do and just start the antibiotic and by the time the test gets back you've forgot you were sick, EXCEPT you REALLY WANT TO STAY OUT OF THE SUN with that particular antibiotic they give you for Lyme.

You saw that he IS on a doxycycline regimen, right?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Update. Bullseye rash went away. He is doing well on the Doxycycline.

When I had my bout with Lyme Carditis, they sent in the test. First sample was lost. The second sample came back two weeks later, positive.

Lyme wasn't on the first docs radar. Second doc called it immediately. Glad I got a second opinion.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gamehide has a line of clothes called elimatick. It's treated and lasts for 70 washings. I always have it on in the woods anymore

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would rather go into the Pa woods without a gun...than not have a supply of doxycycline for both the Dogs and myself...

if one has no previous reason to avoid doxycycline..the conclusion should be given consideration. The defining word is "Can". Can doesn't mean 100%. If hunting in a Lyme area, talk with your Doc about getting some.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11450675/

Lyme can mimic a variety of diseases....If they can't figure it out...ask for a Lymes test.

"Called the โ€œgreat imitator,โ€ Lyme disease can present a variety of symptoms that mimic a wide range of illnesses, including chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, ALS, Alzheimer's disease, depression, insomnia, and autoimmune disorders such as RA and Multiple Sclerosis (MS)"

One friend was crippled up for a year and was being unsuccessfully treated for meningitis..One Doc finally tested him for Lymes...One year later of daily IV tetracycline he is mostly whole..Still has some face palsy, but walking and hunting;

Last edited by battue; 08/10/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My sons 16 year old friend is currently in the hospital with a heart rate of 40. Healthy football player.
I don't know him all that well. Hope they do Lyme tests down in the mountains of VA.

Hope he is ok

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buttstock
Possums are tick magnets and eat over 5000 ticks / season.

Ticks jump on the slow-moving possum. Possums are fastidious groomers, and eat the ticks off their bodies. Scientist studied possums( possum scat), and calculated one possum eats over 5000 ticks per season.

Support having more possums in the wild to control tick populations.

https://www.caryinstitute.org/news-insights/media-coverage/opossums-killers-ticks

That's the natural tick removal system. I've seen grown men squirm like little girls going fishing for the first time. You'd think these men were baiting a hook when they say the word possum. "Uuuuuuuwwww! A big rat!!" As they shiver with disgust. Then brag about killing the dragon- like beast . The same with little snakes.
IMHO Possums are awesome. They remove mice, ticks, venomous snakes and skunk eradication.
Opossum night watch patrol.

โ˜• ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ‘

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/10/21.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
laugh ^^ That's funny right there! ^^ I once saw a 'coon and a skunk get into a boxing match under my folks bird feeder. The skunk never fired off a stink shot.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Treat cotton balls with 10% water base permthrin, stuff into tp roll tubes. Scatter around property a few times per year. Tick numbers plummet.

We did this starting years ago and slacked off as ticks became much less prevalent. I should have continued, but we just don't have ticks like e did before.

It's the diy version of a commercial product. Daminix is probably the name; misspelled.

For backpacking, dilute permethrin to 2% and treat clothing.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

With 300,000 Lyme infections per year, looks like we are suffering a shortage of at least 300,000 'possums...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got RMSF and was treated with doxy around a day and a half after the bite. It still messed me up some.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch
laugh ^^ That's funny right there! ^^ I once saw a 'coon and a skunk get into a boxing match under my folks bird feeder. The skunk never fired off a stink shot.

I'd like to see that. It's amazing how we don't often see what goes on at night while the nocturnal world is active.
Boxing matches between skunks and coons. Lol!

An immature opossum and cat were playing like young dogs in the middle of the road while I watched in my headlights. I never saw different animals play like that which weren't domesticated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using Sawyers Permethrin for a few years. Decided to go with a gallon jug of mix from another supplier so I wonโ€™t scrimp. Supposed to do 40 outfits, not two.

Deer season starts two weeks from tomorrowโ€ฆ

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Using a formula that is made for clothing, right?

There ARE formulas for farm and ranch buildings and livestock...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago I hunted turkey in Missouri. I came home with Tick Fever and a nice gobbler. I was a sick SOB for two weeks.
Bad stuff!

Iโ€™m waayyy more afraid of ticks than mountain lions and bears!!
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.