Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
Always wear a safety harnes, knew two guys that did not that have broken backs, one a climber broke, the other fell asleep.

It's an absolute must.

I ditched the harness that came with my tree stand and went with a Hunter Safety System Pro. I'm a big guy (6'3" 280 lbs) and the 2/3X fits me with plenty of room to spare. It's is way easier to put on than the harness that came with my summit stand. It fits easily under a coat in late season. I recommend it highly. Despite some reviews, it comes with a tree strap, or you can use the one that came with your stand, they look essentially the same. I bought some carabiners to attach the lead to the strap, or you can just feed the tree strap through the lead loop. It's easier to disconnect the carabiner, though.

https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/harness-pre-load/products/hss-pro-series-1

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/21/21.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt in Pines in AL. Im a big SOB so I use a Summit Titan. I dont have to carry it. Just pull up to a tree on my atv and set it up. Pretty comfortable for my 6’1” 285 lb frame. I might choose something different if I was smaller and had to carry it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Op you bought a model that faces away from the tree. You may want to work out something for a shooting stick depending on how you use it. A telescoping shooting stick stuck down in a knee high rubber boot is one way to do it.

I put the safety harness strap around the tree and slide it up as I climb.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Always wear a safety harnes, knew two guys that did not that have broken backs, one a climber broke, the other fell asleep.

Great advice for sure!!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had Summit and API, as well as others. I liked API best. YMMV

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Tree Lounge.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by las
Tree Lounge.

I had one of the original ones from when the
old man was still alive. Ok , but more shaky
than I cared for.
The Doc's Recliner is a better version IMO
Not shaky at all and not as rickety

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the Summit the OP can adjust the seat - as high as possible for archery (so the bar is low) or as low as possible (so the bar is high enough to use as a rest, at least for elbow or forearm). Also, Summit sells an add-on shooting rail.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't climb anymore, but when I did, and when I taught a lot of younger people to hunt from a tree, we always started out slow,
and low to the ground, always with the most modern, safest harness we could get!
Tree stands have come a long way, and the Safety equipment is second to none as it should be!
My oldest Son hunts from a tree stand a lot, and we talk about it a lot as I taught him yrs. ago!
Practice is best before you go out, that way you can sit there and determine what else you would need,
Like for Bow Hunting, hooks to hang our stuff around us for comfortable shooting, and, it can also help in concealment!
Know your trees, which ones are best to climb, and which ones are best not to!
Always pick good solid trees, that are green and safe! Never climb a dead tree!
Even if it's in that one spot that you just know you have to be!
A lot of common sense! I had a friend climb a tree with poison Oak all around it! Not Good!
Do your research and pick out what's best for you and your style of Hunting!
I used Summit, as did a lot of my hunting buddies, and loved it!
I would even use added non slip strips for wet conditions, so as not to slip and fall, or have a mishap!
I would also hike in with one pair of boots, and change to a more comfortable climbing boot!
Some guys can't sit long, and need to go up and down a lot!
When I did my re search, and scouting, I'd get into a tree, and usually stay awhile!
I like what 10Glocks posted, you cant put a price on safety!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 10/17/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
HS58, thanks for the mention of the tree type for a tree stand. I've yet to see that addressed here before. I've always favored white spruce or white pines for tree perching. Then one day I found a nicely placed white cedar and decided to hang a stand. Big mistake. Cedar has a very open cell structure and weak for size wood. I was sitting on a limb about 3" in diameter adjusting my hang on stand when that limb came out of the main trunk like the knuckle of a chicken bone. I has headed to the ground head first, but had the presence of mind to grab the hook on my stand at the last instant.

As long as I'm on near misses, check and double clamp those cables. Mine are all converted to chain now because one side of a cable clamp cable pulled through. Way too exciting to experience that again.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
If you’re using a climber make sure you use a strap or rope to tie the lower part of the stand to the upper. I always used two, one on each side so if the bottom slipped off my feet it didn’t go anywhere and was level.

I started with a climbing Amacker and eventually went to the Old Man with the net seat. Depending on where I was hunting I’d either face the tree or away from it.

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/17/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Summit Titan, lots of room and comfortable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scout308

I already have a Viper, and was looking at the Titan for the land behind my cabin.

Have you used a Viper, and, if you have, is the size increase really noticable?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by goalie

I already have a Viper, and was looking at the Titan for the land behind my cabin.

Th viper is to small for me. I feel too confined.. the size is very notable and the platform is larger, with the titan..

Last edited by Scout308; 10/21/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Th viper is to small for me. I feel too confined.. the size is very notable and the platform is larger, with the titan..

Thanks!

I like the viper a lot, but I'd like bigger if I'm not carrying it too far.

6' 190lbs send to be "ok" in the viper, but it's not exactly "roomy."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah my FIL broke his back climbing into his ladder stand in the rain

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Whatever climbing stand you choose, inspect it thoroughly and often.
Everytime you use it.
Everytime you take it down.
Cables, welds, tubing, straps, seat... anything that can crack, bend, tear or fail.

Preventative maintenance. Change load-bearing safety straps as soon as they show any wear and tear.
Limit longer term weather exposure.
You are trusting it with your life. Give it the time and attention it deserves!

And, what HS58 said regarding trees, be picky in choosing trees! Watch for overhead deadfalls and widowmaker limbs! Standing dead ash or poplar are easy to judge as safe when they really are not. If you climb up, and the stand does not feel right (level or out of adjustment) go ahead and go back down and re-adjust the stand. Don't try that while up in the tree attached and take a chance of a fall. Don't suffer through an uncomfortable sit/hunt. It will take less time to just get it right from the start.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Thanks!

I like the viper a lot, but I'd like bigger if I'm not carrying it too far.

6' 190lbs send to be "ok" in the viper, but it's not exactly "roomy."

Go with the titan or goliath. The platform on the goliath is the standard size not the larger one that the titan has. That's the only difference between the two is the platform size.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm not so sure about those poplar trees though. I haven't trusted a climber since my old Baker tree stand peeled both sides of a poplar tree like a banana on a fast way to the bottom. I'm sure climbers have come a long way since those early Bakers. Maybe I give deer too much credit for seeing me, but fully exposed on the side of a bare tree seems to me a good way to be seen and avoided. I've been an evergreen stand guy when ever I felt the need to climb something.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem with climbers is that the perfect tree for one is never in a good place for a stand.
I was foolish enough to buy one once. I sold that heavy noisy POS real fast.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.