Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I have some Cabela bucks and some gift cards to burn and I need your recommendations on which climbing tree stand to buy.

Cabelas/Bass Pro have API, Summit and Lone Wolf brand climbers.

We live in the NC Sand Hills with a forest of long leaf pine surrounding the hay fields. The trees are straight and tall so that's not a problem.

Of course I'll be in a harness.

I appreciate your help!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only owned Summit and have been pleased. My current stand is a Summit Goliath rated for 350 lbs. It's big, roomy, and super comfortable. It's very stable, easy climbing and cable is easily adjusted. Can't go wrong with a Summit. https://www.summitstands.com/summit-goliath-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got two API Grand Slams and I love them. I cut the seat back off because I think it gets in my way.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/api-outdoors-alumi-tech-grand-slam-extreme-climbing-treestand

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have been getting by with a Lone Wolf sit and climb for about 20 years. It folds up really flat and tucks into your back for easy carry especially with a hip belt and padded straps added. Really quiet stand climbing the tree with. I also have a really light Summit I may give a try this year. It doesn't fold up near as flat for carry but I will see how it works out.

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks so much for your replies!
You've confirmed what I had suspected, Nobody can make junk and survive in the market.
I'll read their reviews again and make a choice that'll work fine I'm sure.

Have a great hunt season!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Summit Viper has been good to me, but I'm under 200 lbs

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks Goalie, I am under 200 too and I don't have to carry the climber far, I'll be here on the farm.

Life was so simple when I was out walking and sneaking through the trees and sagebrush out West.....

It's a different game and I have a lot to learn but I have 2 buck and 4 doe tags, Woohoo!

Isak Dinesen

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Summit 180 Max so you can use the tree to rest off on. Tip: Put your hand between the rifle and tree when shooting. Needs a cushion to it doesn't rebound off the hard surface, throwing your shot wide.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I have a Viper and a Goliath. For me, the Viper is great until cooler weather hits and the Goliath is much more comfortable with the extra room.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I used to have a Summit Viper. Use to as it got stolen. It was the easiest and most comfortable stand I have ever used. They make two versions of the Summit Viper, aluminum and steel, get the aluminum version. I tried an API I think it was and the climbing cables hung up on the tree bark making it very hard to climb and get back down. Not the case with the Summit.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have 2 Lone Wolf climbers. The one I use the most is 14 lbs. It packs very easily and is very quiet. It is NOT comfortable though when sitting for more than a few hours and when it is cold. I have a heavier one that I rarely use. I use the lighter one cause it is almost always law to take down your stand whenever you leave when it comes to public land in Wisconsin. I wouldnt leave it in the woods on public land anyway for obvious reasons. The seat is hard and small, it climbs very well however.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I ordered a Summit Viper SD Ultra and burned up three gift cards and my Cabela bucks.

Thanks for the tips and reminders about size, weight, comfort and not bouncing a rifle off a tree and throwing a shot.

It's archery season but I'll wait for it to cool off a bit and I'll have the stand for muzzleloader season.

Thanks a bunch!

Isak Dinesen

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I had api great stand till some Bastid stole it ol man climbers are death traps prefer ladder stands now in my older years

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Summit Viper SD and a Lone Wolf Wide Sit and Climb 2. Both have their perks. The LW packs up super flat and I can put it on the meat shelf of my Kifaru Stryker XL pack to haul in long distances super comfortably. The Summit is definitely more roomy and comfortable. I like the cable adjustment of the LW a lot more, as you can fine tune it a lot better. The LW is a lot quieter to setup and use too. Early season short sits or long distance walks I'll use the LW as it's just so much easier to pack in and sacrifice some comfort. All day sits during the rut I'll use the Summit as it's just so comfortable.

Get a set of 3rd Hand Archery stabilizing straps for whatever you buy. It makes climbers so rock solid and stable when you're up in the tree and done climbing. I would not use a climber without without now. They are that good.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have owned all three and slightly give the edge to summit. All great stands tho. Keep an eye on the weight of the stand depending on how far you are hiking with it. It seems silly, but a couple pounds can make a big difference on your shoulders and back depending on how far u are going!

SLAP
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I quit climbing but when I did I used a Summit Titan. Lots of room for tall people. If I was looking now I might look at the Lone Wolf.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by colodog
I ordered a Summit Viper SD Ultra and burned up three gift cards and my Cabela bucks.

Thanks for the tips and reminders about size, weight, comfort and not bouncing a rifle off a tree and throwing a shot.

It's archery season but I'll wait for it to cool off a bit and I'll have the stand for muzzleloader season.

Thanks a bunch!

Colodog
Like others have said get the third hand archery stabilizer straps, they will make that climber rock solid. I bought the third hand molle stand packing system also. Take care of that Summit and all you will have to do is put new shrink tubing on the cables every 5 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lone Wolf

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have had excellent results with Summit as well.

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Always wear a safety harnes, knew two guys that did not that have broken backs, one a climber broke, the other fell asleep.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

632 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.