-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Blackhawk Mountain Sling looks promising. Thinking about trying that one out.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/43787

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The 1” carrying strap that Remington used to supply with BDL rifles is number 1 for me. I like the Montana sling too…it’s just a little heavier.

Yes! But where do you find these Remington straps. I ended up shifting to an Allen compromise, but prefer the Remington strap.

Long gone, but, similar can be found on E T S Y.

The 1" Murray Leather looks almost identical to the sling that's on my brothers late 60's era 700BDL

I just took a look at those.

My '80 700 BDL Custom Deluxe 22-250 came with a simple leather strap, two brass Chicago screws, one leather band IIRC, and what I'm referring to. Had no buckle. The set and forget of slings. However, it's been years, maybe they had, or some had a buckle. (So, I don't know chit, LOL).

Christmas present for a 10 year old! Little chit that I am, I mean was, with the big sister too, we used razor blades to cut open our packages one night dad was out trying to get laid! Kinda ruined the surprise and he, on Christmas eve knew something was up by my feigned reaction! LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Slogan slings, IMO, cannot be beat.

https://www.sloganoutdoors.com/slings

Completely agree. Been using them for 20 years.

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by philgood80
The Blackhawk Mountain Sling looks promising. Thinking about trying that one out.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/43787

Midway recently had these on sale for less than $8, I picked up three just because. Haven’t had the chance to use one yet but they seem ok.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1-1/4" GI Cotton Web Sling - w/ Winchester QD loops.

GR

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have 1907 military slings which I like. I also have a modified Montana sling which I really like. The Montana sling was great as it came, for about a year; then it started slipping out of adjustment. I cut the end off, set the length, then laced it in place. I have a bunch of Latigo slings and like them OK but prefer a simpler sling. I carry the rifle, muzzle down, on my off shoulder (left shoulder if you are right handed, other side if you are left handed). The rifle can be brought up and shouldered just about as quickly as with any other carry. GD

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had these sling swivels for years....anyone know who made them ?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've no use for a rifle sling on a hunting rifle. If it's not in my hand, it's in the dogsled scabbard or lashed to a canoe seat.

Slings are always in the way. If by design and properly equipped, the hunting rifle should carry well.

I also despise pouches on the buttstocks of rifles, and find them to be unessasary clutter.

Kinda like fake eyelashes on a lady, gawd is that some stoopid sht........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/11/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LFC
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had these sling swivels for years....anyone know who made them ?

Sako/Tikka. I have the stainless versions on a Sako 75 and the blued on a T3.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
For those who like the simple old Remington carry straps, Boyt Harness company makes a similar sling but sturdier leather and a bit wider at 1 1/4in.

Boyt Leather Express Sling

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I almost never use a sling. I am crawling up a mountain if I am. I am a rifle in my hand guy. When I attach one it’s a butler creek mountain rifle sling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back pack hunting I use a Butler Creek Mountain sling, otherwise a Brownell's Quick-Set Latigo leather sling.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1" Montana sling for me. I use them with the loop on the butt end, can use the loop as a shooting sling, tight tween my elbow and the rifle butt, loose tween elbow and forearm so no change in poi. Wouldn't hunt in my country without a sling. Brushy draws, separated by grassy benches. When I hit the fence, a walk to the next coulee is nicer with a sling. My shotguns have swivels too. On the walk back to the pickup the sling comes out of the fanny pack so both hands are free to carry birds. On the shotguns I use the lightest nylon carry strap I can find.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks Devnull....I've never used them do they stay on okay ?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Vero Vellini period. The most comfortable lugging rifles up and down the mountain.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I used the Montana Sling for years, and a basic nylon sling before that. I always hated having the sling on my shoulder, with an arm cocked to hold it in place. I know there is a sling keeper but I made the switch to the Kifaru Gun Bearer in 2008 and I haven't looked back. I love that it keeps my hands free. More importantly, it's amazing how fast you can have your rifle in shooting position. I know the OP asked about slings, but I thought I'd offer another approach.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LFC
Thanks Devnull....I've never used them do they stay on okay ?

I've never had an issue with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Old school here: M1907 US military leather slings only. Infinitely adjustable, easily removed for carrying separately, and, gasp, an actual shooting aid.

This version of the Rhodesian for the same reasons, plus light weight and weatherproof.

Rhodesian Sling

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have a MagPul RLS-2. It took some mental gymnastics to install even with the instructions. BUT, once it was on it is relatively light, doesn’t stretch and the loop sling capability for sitting or kneeling is nice.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have all kinds, like these on the two 358’s best.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 09/12/21.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.