Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Love it when gunsmiths start making bids.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300

The man asked a fair question about pricing and is getting some fair answers.

Professional 'smiths don't bid on jobs as they already have enough to do. I'm not a professional barrel fitter or gunsmith (there is a big difference). I just work on my own stuff and other projects I find interesting.

A professional 'smith that I have the highest respect for once told me the one main rule in his shop:

"Don't do anything to make the phone ring." grin

Lot of wisdom right there.....

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by rickt300

The man asked a fair question about pricing and is getting some fair answers.

Professional 'smiths don't bid on jobs as they already have enough to do. I'm not a professional barrel fitter or gunsmith (there is a big difference). I just work on my own stuff and other projects I find interesting.

A professional 'smith that I have the highest respect for once told me the one main rule in his shop:

"Don't do anything to make the phone ring." grin

Lot of wisdom right there.....

Good shootin'. -Al

No doubt having been on the phone with many gunsmiths and been in their shops while they were trying to get things done. Probably ONE of the reasons it sometimes takes years to get something done. And I wasn't being negative either.

Last edited by rickt300; 09/11/21.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks all for the input. I should have been more specific on which action and pre-fit barrel when I asked. No intent of having gunsmiths try to under bid each other, just wanted a range. Rough range from $100-$65 (if no issues) + shipping to/from gives me the info I need to chew on while the action is getting nitride.

Thanks again all.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thanks for the bump Joe.

This thread reminds me of a quote from a forum member here who was a gunsmith....asking for info here is like bobbing for apples in a septic tank, you might eventually get it but it's just not worth it.

And you never know if the apple you get will be rotten....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gunsmith is getting three cases of beer for screwing a proof prefit onto an anTiX action and checking headspace. Nice thing is, in “the Sanctuary” once the beer goes in the fridge it’s community beer….

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
My gunsmith is getting three cases of beer for screwing a proof prefit onto an anTiX action and checking headspace. Nice thing is, in “the Sanctuary” once the beer goes in the fridge it’s community beer….

Bring him 3 cases of Bud Light Lime.....even if community, it could be setting there a LONG time. Next time he'll tell you only bring a 6 pack! ...grin...just joking, I don't dislike anyone enough to do that.

I ended up buying a barrel vice and action wrench to do this. Still waiting on the action to be returned from coating.

Before I sent the action out I screwed the barrel on (hand tight), put the base/ring/scope on (just on, not loctite/etc) and put it in the stock with bottom metal just to check balance and weight. Felt really, really nice.

anTi action
Proof pre-fit 20" Sendero contour chambered in .308
Grayboe Trekker
Grayboe Hunter M5 bottom metal
MDT flush fit 3 round AICS mag
Defiance rail
APA low rings
NXS 2.5-10x42

Right at 7 lbs all up with a little forward balance. Looking forward to getting the action back, screwing it together, and putting it to use.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Finished this and thought I'd update here.

Received the action back from Birdsong and installed the barrel. Researching I read everything from 35 ft lbs to 75 ft lbs for torque suggestions. I used 50.

Put everything together with the exception of using a S&B 3-12 in Ferrell low rings instead of the NXS 2.5-10 in APA lows.

Sighted in yesterday evening. 2 shots to get zero then a 3 shot cluster that was well under an inch using a generic .308 load of 46.5 grains of Varget with a 150 ballistic tip.

Rifle feels great and shoots great. Stock is a bit odd on looks but makes up for it in functionality. I left it unbedded as Grayboe suggests and it stacked the rounds. Only 5 rounds through it yesterday but it's a very comfortable stock and easy to get behind. Using Grayboe Hunter M5 DBM with MDT 3 round AICS mags.....feeding is incredibly smooth. The flush fit mag/bottom metal is really nice for a hunter.

Rifle will go on doe patrol over the next several weeks to see what I like and don't like. Right now I can't find much about it that I don't like.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by szihn
Depends on the rifle it's going on.
Some require a lot of care and fitting. Examples can be Pre-64 Winchester M70s, 1917 Enfields, SMLEs and Springfield 1903s They have to be set up to time correctly and clear the extractors. Most autos other then the AR15 are also in that class.

Others like Mauser M98s, Remington M700s and Ruger M77s are very quick and easy.
So saying "new action" doesn't give enough info to answer the question.

They don't make pre-fits for these whistle
I wouldn't install one on even a custom action unless i had a head space gauge, though

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nice job.

As Dylan once said, "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows".

Hope you enjoy your rifle.

Last edited by CaptArab; 12/14/21.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 30 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.