24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
M
M
Awesome, thanks! That is cool. What a great caliber! Did the letter have any information as to where it shipped, etc....? Yours has the Marbles but it is easy to see that the sight placement on the barrel is different than the standard SRC. Thanks again.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DGF's table if memory serves. I should have bought every rifle on it!

An armed society is a polite society.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I ended up with three of them !!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Savage 1899 B first year. I have posted in Lever Action forum. Trying to find out what two tapped holes on left side of receiver are for (3/4 inch apart) Would like to find scope mount for these two holes.

Attached Images
Savage 1899.jpg (17.5 KB, 453 downloads)
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I guess you didn't see my reply before. of course i have never seen one in real life.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

IC B2

S
S
I am new here. This seems to be a good place to start. I have a savage 99 manufactured in 1901. It is stamped sav 30 on the barrel. Anyone know where I can get ammo. This seems to be a bit of a mistery round. From what I have read, the barrel is standard 30 cal and Savage manufactured ammo measuring .311. Does any of this make sense? Does anyone know how common this configuration of savage99 is?
Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
scottemc, I'm not positive, but I think sav 30 is a 30-30 win. Start a new topic and ask about it , some one will know.
Welcome to the fire.

Lee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oops.. I missed his.

Yes, the SAV 30 is an early name for 30-30. Winchester was using the name "30 WCF" when Savage first started selling them, but neither Savage nor Marlin wanted WCF stamped on their gun (It stands for Winchester Center Fire). So both companies used other names for a few months. They quickly both started using 30-30, so there are very few Savage 1899's stamped SAV 30 around. What's the first 3 of your serial number, if you don't mind? We like to track this kind of data.

And welcome to the fire, scottemc!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've got one marked such. Iirc it is a 1899C.

LOL
B
B
I have recently purchased a 99/1899 in .303. S/N is 21,8xx. There is no "Model xx" marking on the barrel, but s/n puts it in late 1901-early 1902 production. It is half octagon barrel, straight grip. Unfortunatly it has had the butt replaced with a commercial replacement stock with flat "cheeks" and a flat butt. Forearm is original by s/n, also marked "WEM" in the channel. Barrel is marked SAV303 on both top and bottom flats. (need to have it slugged to see if it is .308 or .311 bore)..Most interesting is a 'reimporter' stamp on bottom of the barrel, just ahead of the fore arm "DFAC Amherst NJ". I have ordered a letter from the museum, may tell me more about its history. Has lots of usage wear, but not abuse, the price was OK, and included 2 boxes of modern ammo. I had a take-down in the 70's, but sold it when I was shipped overseas (fool).

I don't have too many guns, I just need a bigger safe.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome to the campfire, BillAF84! Your rifle is a model 1899C (1899C has the half-octagon barrel, 1899A has round, 1899B has octagon), and was probably made in early 1901. We have better serial number date ranges than most other sites.

The WEM is interesting, possibly an owner's initials. The borew should be .308", but feel free to confirm by slugging it. As far as we've been able to find, all 303 Savage barrels were .308" from the beginning - but some early ammunition makers used .311" bullets. Probably in an attempt to get higher pressures and higher velocity.

We'll be interested in hearing the dates, that might help us firm up the end of 1900/beginning of 1901.

B
B
Thanks for the quick comeback. I did order your book, I am historicly curious about my guns. Barrel is 20 1/4" to the receiver ring, and there is an extra dovetail cut just past the SAV303 stamp at the receiver. I have seen picture of a scope mount that was located at about there. No markings on the receiver itself. other than the s/n just ahead of the lever boss. The 'WEM' on the fore end is on the mating stub at the receiver end as well as in the channel. The stamping on the receiver end is about centered, with s/n 2 digits above and 3 digits below it. Maybe assembler's initials? Rear sight is marked "Savage Arms Corp Utica NY pat pending", front is Lyman, has lost its bead, If ivory, it may have gotten broken. The pin for the bead is still there.
If I can figure out how to post pix, I will. Old fart's not totally computer savvy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Appreciate the book purchase, thanks!

The standard barrel length on half octagon rifles was 26”, but they could be ordered longer or shorter. The factory letter should specify what barrel length was recorded in the ledger.

The WEM definitely sounds unusual. There’s an image forum almost at the bottom of the forum list where you can upload full sized pictures by making a new post. Extra dovetail is also interesting. You have an interesting gun!

B
B
About the "DFAC Amherst NJ" import stamp on my mod1899c, browsing through the picture pages under Savage 1899 search, I found a 1899 Military sporterised that was described as having been from Canadian provincial forces, I think it was Ontario. Had the same stamp on it. Maybe the museum letter will say if mine was exported..
Were any of the short rifle/saddle rifle/carbine models turned out with "flat cheeks" vs the horizontal shield behind the receiver? That is how the replacement stock on mine is, I saw one picture that looked to be the same, but don't know if it had an original stock. In case I need it, does anyone know where I can get a rifle ( Crescent ) or carbine butt plate. Haven't seen either type on e-bay , lots of shotgun style, steel or plastic.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I looked for a carbine butt stock for a very long time and never saw one for sale. I ended up making two before I found you can get semi finished ones:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

The butt plates are next to impossible to find, but a re-popped one for a Winchester 1894 SRC is very close to identical.

I have a rifle ( crescent ) butt stock with a small repaired tang crack and butt plate I might sell if you're interested.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BillAF84, at that low of a serial number all the 1899's had the side panels with pointed ends. The 1920's 99H and 1960's 99E models didn't have the side panels, but all others did.

Originally the stock would have looked like this:

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

C
C
Hello Savage Group! Great to be here!! I have a question, I picked up another 99 chambered in 300. Serial# 5781## with lever code 23B so it was built in 1950. I believe its a Model EG however, when I stripped her down for a good cleaning , the metal butt plate, forearm and stock all have the serial number stamped on it with a FW stamped also on each part. Is it possible it's a Feather weight?? It is Not a take down model. Thanks in Advance! Colin

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by COLIN_JEFFERY
Hello Savage Group! Great to be here!! I have a question, I picked up another 99 chambered in 300. Serial# 5781## with lever code 23B so it was built in 1950. I believe its a Model EG however, when I stripped her down for a good cleaning , the metal butt plate, forearm and stock all have the serial number stamped on it with a FW stamped also on each part. Is it possible it's a Feather weight?? It is Not a take down model. Thanks in Advance! Colin

Welcome Colin
If your gun has any of the following it is not a 1950’s 99F
- Schnabel forend
- 24 in. barrel
- Savage Model 99 located on top of the receiver ring

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The SN is much too early for the late model F.

The FW is just part of the code system they used to group parts after they stopped using the SN.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
B
B
Hello again from Arkansas...I found an original rifle butt stock with its matching number crescent butt plate, 0nly about 20,000 newer than my rifle. It has had a hard life, wood screws and glue to a large crack in the usual spot, and a small bit of wood missing, serviceable and not out of keeping with the overall look of the old girl. Got a Marble S1 folder tang sight, sent it to Mike in MI to repair. Got a Marbles windage adjustable folding rear sight to replace the Savage fixed one, now have to figure out what height front sight to put on, will also be Marbles to keep a 'set' of pieces. I think an ivory bead, but how tall?
Before I got the rifle butt, I had the existing butt off, found that it was a short bolt stock, with a long stock bolt. Mostly friction holding things together! Ordered a short bolt, and found that the new stock bolt was .004" fatter in the thread. Right pitch, but no go. I made a spacer to use the long bolt in the short hole stock - cut down a AA Maglite barrel, fits fine, now that I don't need it. The original bolt is right for the rifle butt. Not sure what I will do with the commercial butt. Now if weather and things cooperate, I need to get out to the range and make bangs.

Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.