Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone have a good brand to recommend and why?
S.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the car jump starters will charge a phone many times. They're a bit heavy, though.
That said, I have a Power Bank, 25,800 mAh. Made in China like all the rest. They own the lithium. It's been pretty good and it will also power my heated vest for a long day.
This one (I have sinned and bought it from Amazon): POWER BANK

My wife has a 10k Lonkuu that works very well for charging phones. I tried to borrow it for a winter camping trip to heat my electric vest and it won't even turn on. For some unknown reason, not all power packs will work with all vests. My jump starter will work great with the vest but it's too dang heavy to carry around while hunting. If you have or are thinking of a heated vest, do some checking with the vest manufacturer to make sure you get a power pack that's compatible.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I carry a small one on my mc, it has fuel injection so I need some power to even bump start it. Just one from Amazon.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I carry a small one on my mc, it has fuel injection so I need some power to even bump start it. Just one from Amazon.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on your needs you can buy attachments for power tool batteries to serve as power banks.
I have them for both Ryobi and Makita batteries.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Looking for one to carry in my backpack.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve been using a combo hand warmer + battery charger + light in the winter when camping.

The one I have is similar to this but under the “Kozy” brand name:

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoors-Way...y+charger&qid=1631446956&sr=8-16

The hand warmer function is great and can warm the phone itself when you forget to keep it within an inner chest pocket.

Last edited by alukban; 09/12/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smallfry
Take a look at the solar powered ones if you're gong to be out more than a couple days. There are lots of them on the market now but I don't know which are best other than the larger ones are faster and hold more power. They'll also gather more light on cloudy days. They have a power pack built in. You recharge that during the day then charge your phone from it at night.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isn’t this the backpack hunting forum? Why are we talking about DeWalt/Makita batteries and jump starters lol? Also from my experience solar chargers that are compact enough for backpack hunting are nearly useless.

You’re looking for something like an Anker PowerCore10,000. Cheap, light and charges my iPhone three times. Comes with all needed cords/lightning cables. Mine never leaves my pack.

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bater
Also from my experience solar chargers that are compact enough for backpack hunting are nearly useless.

And even moreso this fall with all of the haze in the air. At least in our neck of the woods.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bater
Isn’t this the backpack hunting forum? Why are we talking about DeWalt/Makita batteries and jump starters lol? Also from my experience solar chargers that are compact enough for backpack hunting are nearly useless.

You’re looking for something like an Anker PowerCore10,000. Cheap, light and charges my iPhone three times. Comes with all needed cords/lightning cables. Mine never leaves my pack.

From what I've read, the better ones are large and fold out. You leave them in camp to charge. If you're on the move all day with your camp on your back, they don't work so well. Those little ones with a panel the size of a phone would be pretty much useless.
My power pack holds 25,000 mAh. It's a bit heavier than your 10k but it holds a lot of power.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most of the car jump starters will charge a phone many times. They're a bit heavy, though.
That said, I have a Power Bank, 25,800 mAh. Made in China like all the rest. They own the lithium. It's been pretty good and it will also power my heated vest for a long day.
This one (I have sinned and bought it from Amazon): POWER BANK

My wife has a 10k Lonkuu that works very well for charging phones. I tried to borrow it for a winter camping trip to heat my electric vest and it won't even turn on. For some unknown reason, not all power packs will work with all vests. My jump starter will work great with the vest but it's too dang heavy to carry around while hunting. If you have or are thinking of a heated vest, do some checking with the vest manufacturer to make sure you get a power pack that's compatible.

I am going the "carry small cheap auto charger" way my self as it will keep up a phone, an Olight, and a plasma lighter for at least a week.

I suppose the addition of a small soft foldable solar charger wouldn't go amiss for longer periods.

Damn I wish all these toys were available when I was young.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I was young, we had real strike anywhere matches that would strike anywhere and much of this fire lighting stuff wasn't needed.

― George Orwell

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I’ve been using an Anker PowerCore 20100mAh for the past two years. Affordable and powers everything I need for a couple weeks easy with my usage.

Pitter Patter!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use Anker. I had a 20,000 plus a solar charger for the brick but left it with my guide and just replaced the brick when I got home. It had plenty of charge in it for a week in the mountains without the solar charger.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smallfry

I have a folding soft solar panel..
it will charge a phone but doesn't have enough watts to charge an Ipad..(think they need 15, mine is probably 10watts...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Anker power banks. I have 3. A 20,100, 10,000 and 6800(?). I carry the 10k mostly. They all work great. No issues so far. I bought all 3 about 4 years ago. I use them when I travel not just for hunting.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an Allpowers 10,000 mAh battery pack with solar panel built into the front face, and it works quite well for backpacking trips.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I use Anker power banks. I have 3. A 20,100, 10,000 and 6800(?). I carry the 10k mostly. They all work great. No issues so far. I bought all 3 about 4 years ago. I use them when I travel not just for hunting.

I do this too. If I remember to leave my phone on airplane mode, it holds charge most of a week. My Garmin Inreach uses up it’s charge in half that time. Cameras also might need charging. I took 3 of the 10k chargers on a 14 day hunt and used about half of the capacity. Your results would likely differ, as mapping and texting might vary greatly. I tend to take more than needed, and also try to keep the batteries from extreme cold.
Correction: The ones I took were actually 20.1K. I guess I’d say carry the biggest one that’s not too big, lol.

Last edited by WMR; 09/28/21.
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We (5-6 of us) usually do a basecamp and then backpack in with a spike camp (8-man kifaru). Been using the OnX hunt app on our iPhones (used to use the garmin rino with topo chips for map). Phones will run down and need a recharge more often than the rinos..... This year I just bought a GoalZero Sherpa 100ac powerbank and Nomad 20 portable solar panel. In our case - we'll leave the powerbank charging from the solar panel during the day in spike camp and then come back and charge up our phones / radios at night ... doing this each day. the solar charging can be weather dependent, but works pretty good unless it snows and you need to keep clearing the panels off. going to see how this works with 6 guys this year as the spike camp solar is a new setup for us.

The Sherpa 100ac and Nomad 20 is probably a bit much to be hiking around all day every day and if that is your case, goal zero offers smaller kits (power banks and solar panels). Depends on your situation.

(side note)
I've been impressed with goal zero products so far ... we use a yeti 3000 with Boulder 200 solar panels in base camp and now pretty confident the little Honda gas generator can stay at home (although we'll probably chicken out and throw it in just in case...lol). I run a Dometic cfx 75dz electric cooler (all trip), all of our lighting (6 to 8 chained goalzero lite-a-life 350 lights and an LED rope light across 2 wall tents and the kitchen in between. Everyone charges everything at night off a plugged in power strip (radios, phones, bluetooth speaker, etc.). my favorite part is no sound from the generator running..... makes camp a little more peacefull in the evening round the fire..... happy to offer more feedback on this setup if interested.

Last edited by AHM; 09/29/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 56 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,448,023
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.