Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I see a lot of advertising about Sitka gear/clothing. Anybody like it? Would recommend it? Appreciate any and all feedback! TIA!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I purchased the blaze orange jacket for deer hunting. Haven’t used it yet but high quality and fit well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a few peices discounted (camofire), tried it this year and here's my take::

I have a light weight turtle neck top, a medium zip top and a goretex "mountain parka", couple pair of gloves, beanies (light and heavy weights).

The light gloves, I can't see my self wearing them unless it's raining and warm (not likely I'd be hunting in that), the medium weight gloves are great with army surplus wool liners.

I wore both tops and jackets in just above freezing temps, I was good far about 90 minutes then started getting cold and it just spread - the way getting chilled does, The next day was colder so I dressed mych heavier and was toasty all day.

It works fine (as does many other brands) in layers and for the occasion, If I was walking, I'd been fine - maybe even over dressed) but for sitting in a stand, on a frigid cold day - not with the stuff I own.
Maybe with a heavier jacket, etc... Maybe one of the high end heavy jackets, better insulation But for that I have a very old Woolrich Wool jacket.

I will say it's Gore Tex so it dod stop the wind and rain, again, I'd prefer to have a wool sweater underneath,

Light weight beenie I LOVE, warm, not too hot, and I can put a baseball cap on top to shield my eyes from the sun.

Also, thei silk underwaer is extremely comfortable - probably the best offering from Sitka.

Hope this helps

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at some today in fact. And after checking the prices,I couldn't help but think of all the Carhart I could buy for the same money

But that's just me.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I really like the mountain pants for western hunting.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just got some of their rain gear on sale. Won't be able to comment until next fall, for the price (even on sale) hope it works. No help I know.

S
S
I used to wear their gear all the time. It is really good, can't go wrong with it, especially if you get it on sale. I've since converted to Kuiu gear. It is more expensive. I think it's better qualit and better designed, but that's up to each wearer. The Sitka co-founder also started Kuiu.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So in talking with my oldest 35 yr. old son who I still hunt with, and he still hunts all over the Country, Rifle and Archery. He has used the Sitka gear, and likes it, and also uses the Kuiu gear, and bought me some, that we used last year out west! I didn't know that the owner of Kuiu gear is the same as Sitka! Thanks

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Just got some of their rain gear on sale. Won't be able to comment until next fall, for the price (even on sale) hope it works. No help I know.

I'm anxious to hear what you think! Good rain gear is essential! Thanks!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 05/16/21. Reason: spelling

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Aviator
I really like the mountain pants for western hunting.

My son has the same pants for hunting, and likes them also! Thanks!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I looked at some today in fact. And after checking the prices,I couldn't help but think of all the Carhart I could buy for the same money

But that's just me.

We all are entitled to our opinion! I used to wear Carhardt's hunting all the time, some 40 yrs. ago,wore out many, but my Son has moved me into the modern Era, in hunting gear! lol!!! Thanks!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I took the plunge and bought SitkaGear before a trip to Kodiak Island for a spring bear hunt several years ago. I spent more on that gear than I had spent on the rest of my hunting clothes combined.

I stayed warm and dry the whole trip. It was money well spent. I find their gear well thought out and made

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I agree with you John!

Gotta have good Gear!

Thanks for the input!

HS58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend who is a yearly hard core sheep hunter wears it and likes it. He wears Merino Wool under garment on top and when the climb is over he has a light weight down jacket he wears under it when sitting and glassing.

Climbing for sheep, goats and bears keeps about any one warm, but when one plops down to glass for extended periods of time, it is and eye opener the first time on how fast a 10 mph breeze will chill the body.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I agree!

Yeah, sweating up while your moving, and then trying to stay warm, when,
you stop for any extended period of time is the trick!

HS58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I haven't used Sitka, but I bought some Kuiu and Core4Element for some hunts in NZ and Spain over the years. Those are the only hunts where I needed some technical type clothing where lightweight and controlling moisture were an issue.

Core4Element went out of business, but their clothing was head and shoulders better then Kuiu or Sitka, for significantly less money.

For the average whitetail hunter that still hunts or does minimal stalking (and maybe to a lesser extent elk hunters), the need for the technical gear probably isn't required. For the sheep and goat hunters, there's no doubt. The benefit of layers, pit zippers and thigh zippers to control temperature to minimize perspiration and light weight and fabric stretch are all essential. As are knee pads, elbow pads etc. Especially if wet or foggy weather is also a factor.

Last edited by gsganzer; 11/22/21.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Great points Thanks!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I haven't used Sitka, but I bought some Kuiu and Core4Element for some hunts in NZ and Spain over the years. Those are the only hunts where I needed some technical type clothing where lightweight and controlling moisture were an issue.

Core4Element went out of business, but their clothing was head and shoulders better then Kuiu or Sitka, for significantly less money.

I have some Sitka and Core4Element outer wear/soft shells that I’ve used over the past 10yrs and my experience/opinion is the other way around. I bought all of it on “after season” sales, so price I paid for each piece was a good bit lower than MSRP, but the Sitka was still more expensive. I found the “price/performance” of each was pretty accurate, meaning their prices were reflective of performance. Just my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I

I thought this too with respect to their rain gear. I didn't know they went out of business. That explains why I could not find more of their gear to try.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
127 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.