24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know if we had a thread for this..
but figured it was a pretty good topic....

So I was just reading a book by one of Clancy's disciples...
one who didn't get another shot...
he is a college professor so he should be able to do a bit of research but...

There is a scene where the protagonist has a "High powered military grade sniper rifle" chambered in ...
7.62x5 mm Nato....

Holy Short round!!
call me crazy but isn't a primer 3-4mm (from back to front)...
funny stuff..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
GB2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The book on "Killing Reagan" by O'Reilly and Dugard has the story of the biggest elephant being killed by 13 four inch bullets. There's just a lot of writing about guns by people who don't know much about them.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
The book on "Killing Reagan" by O'Reilly and Dugard has the story of the biggest elephant being killed by 13 four inch bullets. There's just a lot of writing about guns by people who don't know much about them.

Ah yes, the famous 100x63mm Mauser!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was watching a video lecture the other night about some subject I can't recall, and the lecturer was speaking of weapons and said that a spear could be even more powerful than a ".45 MM handgun."

I thought, that'd take one helluva spear." grin

A lot of writers know virtually nothing about firearms other than what they see on teevee, written by other ignorant writers.

Oh well ....

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ya gotta love the authors who have endlessly repeated "the stink of cordite filled the room"...since Agatha Christie started writing in 1914, I believe cordite pretty well fell out of favor many years ago. Kurt Schlicter, fiction author, political opinionist, has used it recently in his trilogy depicting the split of America...which, in my view, pretty well disqualifies him as an urban combat advisor.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Ya gotta love the authors who have endlessly repeated "the stink of cordite filled the room"...since Agatha Christie started writing in 1914, I believe cordite pretty well fell out of favor many years ago. Kurt Schlicter, fiction author, political opinionist, has used it recently in his trilogy depicting the split of America...which, in my view, pretty well disqualifies him as an urban combat advisor.

There used to be a lot of it around in Brit surplus 303 ammo. Spaghetti.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by flintlocke

There used to be a lot of it around in Brit surplus 303 ammo. Spaghetti.

no concerns with where the powder is with a spaghetti load.....

-OMotS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After reading the thread on shooting a gas can i decided to run a fouler through a little 10x6" plastic jug..
Interesting result when you compare to all of those scenes where a character is thrown backwards when being on the receiving end of a gunshot...
The jug had a neat little entry hole but the back unzipped like a couple of barn doors.
And the jug landed 10 feet [u[closer[/u] to me than where it was sitting...
Now if the jug had a spine to catch the bullet it may have flown backwards, but water jet out the back certainly made for some interesting movement...

-OMotS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In "Shutter Island" the German officer lying on the carpet who failed and shot himself through the cheek on his firs attempt is reaching for a Walther PPK/s, which was not developed until the late 1960s..

-OMotS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I was watching a video lecture the other night about some subject I can't recall, and the lecturer was speaking of weapons and said that a spear could be even more powerful than a ".45 MM handgun."

I thought, that'd take one helluva spear." grin

A lot of writers know virtually nothing about firearms other than what they see on teevee, written by other ignorant writers.

Oh well ....

L.W.

Mmmmm, I don’t know. A .45 mm handgun would be pretty small. Roughly 0.018 inches. Probably not much power unless the velocity was sky high.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.