Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And all the other weapons and equipment left behind.

That is all.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stone age idiots that can barely do a jumping jack won’t be too great at flying them or doing maintenance on them.

My old man had a hell of time teaching Kenyans to fly MD-500s. And I think Kenyans are probably a little smarter than dune coons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We did not leave anything over there that was worth a crap. If we left a Blackhawk, it was one with a bent airframe and burnt-up engine - something we probably thought wasn't even worth bringing home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don’t understand why we didn’t burn them or bomb them, just leave scrap metal.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in the service over 50 years ago there were procedures on how to render stuff inoperable so your foe can't use it and I bet they still have those. Their excuse now will be that they didn't expect the Afghan government to collapse so quickly and that equipment was for the Afghan government. I call B.S. on that . They knew this was gonna happen. It was all planned. We just established a new nation...... Talibanistan. With one of the founding fathers named Biden. Only problem is they aren't on our side. But then; neither is our so called "president". If we wanted to, we could still decommission a lot of that stuff with a few drones & hellfire missiles, but Noooooo. That may cause diplomatic friction.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
Stone age idiots that can barely do a jumping jack won’t be too great at flying them or doing maintenance on them.

My old man had a hell of time teaching Kenyans to fly MD-500s. And I think Kenyans are probably a little smarter than dune coons.

I have several friends that spent serious time there. They didn't care for their culture or hygiene but were awed by their toughness, resilience and ability to quickly learn and adapt.

Never, ever underestimate your enemy.

In Vietnam we struggled against peasants w/ nothing more than a rice ball and an AK. True Believers are very dangerous. You can't succeed by bombing them back to the stone age when that is their comfort zone.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I read things correctly, we did leave some of the Pilatus intel airplanes with all their top secret intel gathering equipment. Please correct me if someone knows that this is not correct.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Should have booby trapped enough stuff to make them afraid to go near them

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I spoke to a former marine at the Crematorium a few days ago who knew a few involved in the Djibouti pull-out and understood how much worse this was...
We were discussing his brothers lost as a result of the mismanagement of the exit...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Those were not Blackhawks that the US military left behind. They were sold to the ANA through the Foreign Military Sales program. (like Dutch F-16's, Columbian Blackhawks, etc). Also, they were old rebuilt A model airframes, several generations behind the current production UH-60M US Blackhawks.

Was it a waste? Of course, but it's not like some US Army unit left leaving their helicopters behind.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have personally been in a MH60 flight simulator wit my son when he was in training. He turned over the controls to me and I crashed in a matter of about 5 seconds.
There is no possable way they can train competent pilots without a fleet of small birds and and simulators
Those things are difficult beyond comprehension to fly
I couldn’t ever even begins to keep level flight.
Not to mention the maintenance they take.
There will be no danger for them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Blackhawk is the easiest helicopter to fly that I've ever flown.

"if you can start it, you can fly it"

In fact, there are civilian helicopter outfits that won't hire pilots with only US Army Blackhawk time... (+TH-67 time). They're so easy to fly and have such excess power, that it makes a complacent pilot who doesn't manage power as delicately as most other helicopters require.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
I don’t understand why we didn’t burn them or bomb them, just leave scrap metal.

I think because Joe Biden and his team want to have some good relations with the Taliban. It's just his gift to the Taliban. At some point in the near future you are going to see Joe and his team give up the 9 billion dollars we are keeping in the bank for Afghanistan. Money that belongs to the people and not to the taliban.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LoadClear
The Blackhawk is the easiest helicopter to fly that I've ever flown.

"if you can start it, you can fly it"

In fact, there are civilian helicopter outfits that won't hire pilots with only US Army Blackhawk time... (+TH-67 time). They're so easy to fly and have such excess power, that it makes a complacent pilot who doesn't manage power as delicately as most other helicopters require.

Getting the -60 started is the hardest part. I agree, the SAS system and all of the electronics make it easy to fly. Managing those systems is the hard part. The engines do make a $hit ton of power. Don't let the battery on the APU get under 20 volts or someone will be pumping up an accumulator on the APU. I'll bet the first thing the Afghans break is the tail wheel lock if it hasn't been broken already.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

... but they've contributed so much to civilization:

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
We did not leave anything over there that was worth a crap. If we left a Blackhawk, it was one with a bent airframe and burnt-up engine - something we probably thought wasn't even worth bringing home.

Bull-Sheet. The missiles weren't worth bringing home, neither were all the small arms and all the ammunition for them. We didn't need the pallets of greenbacks either I guess, using your logic.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

This is my thought. They will run out of parts and tech knowledge pretty fast.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
my son is was a blackhawk crew chief and then pilot for several years and he assures me that the ones we left are JUNK and rendered not airworthy but i think the army brainwashed him somewhat!! he also said he never met a "ha-jee" or " ha-beeb" that was capable of even starting one

he did tell me once while we was drinking beer on his leave after being in iraq that he helped destroy munitions and parts etc before they loaded their stuff up to head back, claims the engineers had dug a huge hole in the desert and they literally threw everything in it and dumped JP-5 on it and lit it up. he said he was ashamed of the crap they destroyed but was told it was cheaper to destroy it than bring it home

once stateside, he called me and said he had a small crate they were told to make disappear. he asked and got in writing from his ranking officer to take it home. a few weeks later he shows up with a 8x8x10 plywood shipping crate full of the old style camo gear. i mean jackets pants anything and everything. in the back was a pile of outdated comm gear and headsets and vietnam era butt stocks for m16s.

the waste theh government is capable of only is surpassed by the poor decisions they make

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by smarquez

This is my thought. They will run out of parts and tech knowledge pretty fast.

The Pakis and Chinese will probably give them a hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.