Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If the student is paying attention to you and they're not getting it, it's your fault. That's the difference between a good teacher and not. Teaching isn't easy. You're the only one who understands it. You have to understand your subject from all directions and be able to explain it in novel ways. The only way the knowledge is transferred is if you figure out how make it obvious to them. After that point is when study comes in.

Every student is not Pythagoras. We all remember him. We all consider his theorem to be easy and simple now, but how many would have figured it out without someone explaining it in an obvious way? I had teachers who made everything obvious and I've had teachers who were useless and had to teach myself. I try to be the former.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bullshit. Math requires a bit of wrestling with to master.

To be plain, I don't mean make it harder than necessary, be less than clear in explanations and demonstrations or whatever. However, math isn't just a collection of facts and formulas to be remembered and demonstrated examples to be regurgitated. The student must come to understand the principles involved and their application to problems which are not just like the ones shown in class. For many if not most students this understanding comes only after a good bit of work on their part.

I earned a PhD in mathematics and I can assure you as the level of study rises so does the outside of class effort expected of the student. Most people haven't encountered five problem homework sets that eat up the best part of two weeks to complete.

Last edited by mathman; 09/12/21. Reason: added text
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I hav one grand daughter in private school and 5 home school. No liberal crap
Thought to them. Sure proud of my kids

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't believe (((wiki/google))) has not wiped it clean, yet.

The seed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from abdullahalandalusidotcom.files.wordpress.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
The responsibility for teaching and the responsibility for learning aren't the same thing. I could damn well teach college algebra, but it was beyond my powers to make students study.

The problem with math is you have to make it relevant. Too many kids cannot see the relevancy of math. I know I didn't. I took some algebra in high school and I tried again in college. I decided that the teachers could find their own GD x because I wasn't doing it any more. Now, if you wanted to teach me about keeping a check book, managing money, investing in the market, knowing what the rule of 72 means or doing your income tax. I can do that.

I got better at math when I started taking some CAD classes and some tool and die classes. That is relevant. But, no one teaches life skills and no one teaches machine shop skills in high school any more. The crap they tried shoving off in high school math was absolutely stupid except for the kids headed for college. But, to hell with the kids who just want to move on with life.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

To be plain, I don't mean make it harder than necessary, be less than clear in explanations and demonstrations or whatever. However, math isn't just a collection of facts and formulas to be remembered and demonstrated examples to be regurgitated. The student must come to understand the principles involved and their application to problems which are not just like the ones shown in class. For many if not most students this understanding comes only after a good bit of work on their part.

I earned a PhD in mathematics and I can assure you as the level of study rises so does the outside of class effort expected of the student. Most people haven't encountered five problem homework sets that eat up the best part of two weeks to complete.

Which is true of all graduate disciplines. Nothing unique.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Our college algebra was considered very tough. That was the reason every body failed all those years.

Then they got a couple new teachers.....and people started passing.

Teachers matter.

I am MAGA.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

I think the issue here is you confuse teaching with lecturing. You expect to lay it out for them, then they make the effort to bridge the gap. That's not teaching. It's also nonsensical because the one holding the knowledge is the only one holding the materials with which the bridge can be made.

I always thought the problem with professors not teaching, especially in upper level courses, is they usually only understood the material well enough to use it. (Think of whatever is the math equivalent of physical chemistry.) To teach you have to understand it so well as to explain it to a six year old well enough they have at least a vague understanding. That holds with what you say. When you're at the cutting edge, you just got there yourself. And then there's the need to understand people well enough to guess where they are, too, in order to bring them to understanding. It's a special skill set few have.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by add
Can't believe (((wiki/google))) has not wiped it clean, yet.

The seed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School

Wiki is rasis & anti-semitic

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
This is a long read, but very interesting and insightful article about how our education system is swirling around in the toilet. I've experienced talking to kids who had graduated high school with "good grades," yet were so dumb they did not know the difference between "germ" and " German Shepherd."

http://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/2021/09/americas-failing-schools.html

Another example of why America is in deep trouble.

L.W.

But,but..... there self esteem is like redonculous ( smile ).

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the virus situation, our governor has declared that students no longer need to pass a proficiency test to earn a high school diploma. I guess participation is all that is needed now.

1Minute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Until the responsibility for learning is placed upon the shoulders of the students PARENTS nothing will ever improve.

Teachers teach, responsibility of Learning belongs to the parents.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
The responsibility for teaching and the responsibility for learning aren't the same thing. I could damn well teach college algebra, but it was beyond my powers to make students study.

The problem with math is you have to make it relevant. Too many kids cannot see the relevancy of math. I know I didn't. I took some algebra in high school and I tried again in college. I decided that the teachers could find their own GD x because I wasn't doing it any more. Now, if you wanted to teach me about keeping a check book, managing money, investing in the market, knowing what the rule of 72 means or doing your income tax. I can do that.

I got better at math when I started taking some CAD classes and some tool and die classes. That is relevant. But, no one teaches life skills and no one teaches machine shop skills in high school any more. The crap they tried shoving off in high school math was absolutely stupid except for the kids headed for college. But, to hell with the kids who just want to move on with life.

kwg

I took calculus in college and ended up with all theory and not a clue as to what it was used for. They didn't teach that part of it. Some years later I considered going back and studying engineering so I had to brush up on the math. A friend gave me a business calculus book to study. It was full of practical examples. The light switch clicked on. All they'd have to do is throw in some useful examples and many students would get it a lot faster and easier. Learning limits and integrals is a waste of time if you don't know what to do with them. Make it meaningful to the students.

My 3d semester of calc was taught by an educated idiot. In any class of 100 there's always 1 or 2 who can get it no matter how hard it is. He taught to them and let the others be damned. They were slackers. He made it so hard that the engineering students were having to take his class 2 or 3 times to get through it. I dropped out at midterm with a score of 45 and I was in the top 1/3 of the class.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The solution for parents is obvious: homeschool.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by achadwick
The solution for parents is obvious: homeschool.

so feasible for so many. I dont know why everyone isnt doing it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For many college is a giant waste of time and money.

Once upon a time the less gifted students failed out of grade school and went to work at jobs that didn't require "book learning".

A lot of those jobs/industries are gone. Along with the rise of LBJ's great society we have a growing segment of leaches that expect to be taken care of whether they work/contribute or not.

It looks like some are saying FU to the scam university's and going the trade school route to a decent living.

White Males Are Bailing on College

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It goes deeper than school, and back more than two generations, cause it`s the Parents that are failing, because our entire social system has failed. My wife works at a school, has for 5 yrs. now as a part-time, 6.5 hours a day, EA. The stories she brings home of the behavior of most parents, would have you believing it`s 1821, not 2021. Horrid, and not getting any better. Best part, NO ONE is held accountable, certantly not the parents.
If you want to destroy America, 1st.grade school is the place to start. If you have kids in school, get involved and push back. That does work.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Our college algebra was considered very tough. That was the reason every body failed all those years.

Then they got a couple new teachers.....and people started passing.

Teachers matter.

But how did they matter?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by antlers
Taxpayers are extorted to the tune of 750 billion dollars a year for the public school system, and it’s a dismal failure in nearly every aspect. It is no longer about the students...and it hasn’t been for a long time...it’s an industry in and of itself; it’s chief mandate is to obtain as much money as possible under the false pretense of being about the students.

Amen!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 673, 14 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.