Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16429080 09/12/21
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
For those who are familiar…how would you describe the city of Anchorage?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The largest city close to Alaska.
In the decade I lived there I saw a marked change in demographics with a heavy bent towards “diversity”.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
(50) FIFTY years ago Anchorage, Alaska was the support center for homesteaders. Even "south" Anchorage was still being homesteaded, all of Wasilla was still being homesteaded. It was "like" the very best of the "Old West" of America in the later 1800-1920's period.

Now it is the dead rotting corpse of a city addicted to the life'support of Federal corruption money, and Corporate empire corruption money. It is a city filled with zombies, who live for the "weekend" escape either north or south on the only two roads from the prison of the illusion of "Being Alaskans".

And yet, it would seem like paradise to those escaping many "[bleep]'hole" urban areas of the "Lower-48" states. But Los'Anchorage is "NOT" Alaska, it is where humans suck'it up and endure metropolitan life, as the price they must endure for weekends in paradise.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by AGL4now
(50) FIFTY years ago Anchorage, Alaska was the support center for homesteaders. Even "south" Anchorage was still being homesteaded, all of Wasilla was still being homesteaded. It was "like" the very best of the "Old West" of America in the later 1800-1920's period.

Now it is the dead rotting corpse of a city addicted to the life'support of Federal corruption money, and Corporate empire corruption money. It is a city filled with zombies, who live for the "weekend" escape either north or south on the only two roads from the prison of the illusion of "Being Alaskans".

And yet, it would seem like paradise to those escaping many "[bleep]'hole" urban areas of the "Lower-48" states. But Los'Anchorage is "NOT" Alaska, it is where humans suck'it up and endure metropolitan life, as the price they must endure for weekends in paradise.

I’ve been here for 48 hours ( my first time) and sadly this is my impression already.

Last edited by pharmvet; 09/13/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Anchorage used to be like Eagle River. Just go there.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What AGL said. When I came here in 68, Northern Lights was all forest, with the exception of Gary Kings, B&C, and maybe Barney's.

My thought at the time was "What the Hell are they doing way out here? Huffman was howling wilderness, as was the Hillside. smile

Gary King's and the forest have both suffered an irreversible decline since. Last time I was in GK was maybe 4 years ago- first thing I saw were two "sales associates" with man-buns. Hard 180.....

The Holiday on Seward and Diamond used to be a gas/coffee stop for me. It was a comfortable place, before the diversity took over. I no longer stop there.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Where’s Gary Kings LAS? I thought they were out of business long before I got there. I did catch a bunch of bottom fish on an old GK halibut rod from a garage sale one summer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh and one thing Anchorage and The Valley do have going for them is the best garage sales on earth. Everyone has outdoor gear, some of it high end, and everybody gets rid of it before the move outside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I go to Anchorage every March for a week or less. As far as shopping goes it's real user friendly with good air freight,mail at the airport, and big items on the barge at Homer. This covid deal has made medical visit's much easier as they don't try to perform endless test's and appointments now. My circle of friends in town is shrinking as they move south for good!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
What AGL said. When I came here in 68, Northern Lights was all forest, with the exception of Gary Kings, B&C, and maybe Barney's.

My thought at the time was "What the Hell are they doing way out here? Huffman was howling wilderness, as was the Hillside. smile

Gary King's and the forest have both suffered an irreversible decline since. Last time I was in GK was maybe 4 years ago- first thing I saw were two "sales associates" with man-buns. Hard 180.....

The Holiday on Seward and Diamond used to be a gas/coffee stop for me. It was a comfortable place, before the diversity took over. I no longer stop there.

Sorry, no such thing as a "man bun." Proper term is "twatknot."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a dirty place. Physically and politically.
Ever so often it is a helpful place to go, good for a supply run, as it is a useful hub.
But I try to avoid it if possible. I do not like when my business trips have me go there. Feels like going to the greater Seattle area.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 907brass
It's a dirty place. Physically and politically.
Feels like going to the greater Seattle area.

The "Seattle Mafia" used to control Anchorage and most larger cities. That suffered substantial problems, when the "Brothers MC Gang" made some serious miscalculations.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've visited Anchorage, as well as a good bit of Alaska. Good and bad, like most places, but what cleared it up for me is the following !! Had a guy doing some stone work for me here in Virginia & as we talked this guy (ex Military) & shot up a bit (god bless him) related that he grew up in Anchorage & that Anchorage went to hell after Katrina hit New Orleans, many dirt buzzards were relocated to Anchorage & the city "went to hell". ANY COMMENTS ??

"not too grumpy"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
I've visited Anchorage, as well as a good bit of Alaska. Good and bad, like most places, but what cleared it up for me is the following !! Had a guy doing some stone work for me here in Virginia & as we talked this guy (ex Military) & shot up a bit (god bless him) related that he grew up in Anchorage & that Anchorage went to hell after Katrina hit New Orleans, many dirt buzzards were relocated to Anchorage & the city "went to hell". ANY COMMENTS ??

Anchorage went to "HELL" when they built the Trans Alaska Oil Pipeline. Doubled the population, instantly made the State of Alaska "drunk wealthy" on oil revenue. Then in the early 80's the crash came, then in the "MID" 80's the horrific economic "DEPRESSION" started, (78% of all banks, credit unions, savings and loans went BANKRUPT) then for giggles March of 1989 a "drunk" [bleep] named "Hazelwood" crashed a oil tanker in Prince William Sound.

Last edited by AGL4now; 09/13/21.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It went around the bend around 2010s. It was a great place in the early to mid 90s then things fell apart.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pharmvet
For those who are familiar…how would you describe the city of Anchorage?

Only 30 minutes from Alaska.

I was there last August. Club Paris was not opened, truly sad.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skanchorage started going to chit when the municipality went to vote by mail scam. Ever since then the assembly has gotten more liberal and woke. Hell what am I talking about the assembly is as liberal as any other democrat ran city. The mayor is a conservative, all that means the liberals couldn’t find enough votes in the back of a mini van.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to get off topic but Palmer is going the liberal route as well with a bunch of woke retards on the city council. Wasilla is holding strong. But the going joke with momma is we have to move to willow. What’s interesting the matsu burrough mayor lives in willow.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I’m as guilty as anyone mocking Anchorage as Los Anchorage, and being “ a short plane ride from Alaska”.

If one enjoys the out-of-doors, it has a lot going for it in terms of stores to supply your outfitting needs, and the accessibility to hiking trails and generally close proximity to the good places north and south of the city.

I just could not live there. 😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Indeed Mike. There ain't no iron removing salt for the water softener in Soldotna or Kenai, except at Culligan right now. for $5/bag more than FM or Wally has it as, when they have it. Going to Anc on the first to pick up son and DIL, so may stock up then, if I can find it.

That is the one advantage Anc sometimes has, more product. and more/better? medical facilities. Just had hand surgery up there, over the local expert who inspired no confidence for my gut feeling....

But then there is E-bay and Amazon for many things, and no traffic. smile

Last edited by las; 09/14/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.