Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Had my first case of Gout pop up yesterday in YEARS.
Big toe swollen like a beached Whale.
Can’t get my boots on. Much less my Crocs I wear around the house.
Doc prescribed 20 mg pills twice daily for 5 days.

First time I’ve ever taken it for Gout. Guess it beat that other stuff they use to give me that would tear my stomach up.

Just wondering how Prednisone worked out for any others here who have taken it for Gout ???

And how long before it kicked it’s ass.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take prednisone daily

Never had the gouch

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
I take prednisone daily

Never had the gouch

It’s making me sleepy. Pharmacy claimed it would make me hyper.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

No advice, but I hope get over it soon!

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was prescribed indomethacin for flare ups but it sucked. Best thing I ever took was 800 mg ibuprofen. Pain went away within an hour or so. Apparently, prednisone is supposed to work as well as ibuprofen.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've taken 3 rounds of prednisone since the 1st of the year for gout. Usually knocks it back in a couple days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

As a short term fix prednisone is fine although long term you're better off with indocid. or starting a long term course of allopurinol.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 100grNP
I've taken 3 rounds of prednisone since the 1st of the year for gout. Usually knocks it back in a couple days.

Thanks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wicked schidt...
You'll feel like you're twenty years old again and with a bad attitude. The only thing that worked for me to knock down my gout, IIRC it took a few days until the pain receded. I've been on 200mg of allopurinol ever since.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry to hear that as gout is terribly painful and debilitating, especially at night when trying to sleep. Recently doctors are using steroids to immediately attack the swelling and ease the discomfort as well as jointly prescribing 500mg Neproxen, which is a potent Ibuprofen prescription. After the attack is over and waiting a couple weeks most doctors prescribe allopurinol, can be 100mg or up to 400mg depending on your uric acid readings. Having Neproxen on hand and taking it when first feeling an attack coming on can curb the degree of the attack and in some cases take it down quickly. Get well soon.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dingo

As a short term fix prednisone is fine although long term you're better off with indocid. or starting a long term course of allopurinol.

The first one destroys my stomach. Haven’t taken allopurinol in years. May have to start again. I’d forgotten how bad Gout hurts. 😬

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

First time I’ve ever taken it for Gout. Guess it beat that other stuff they use to give me that would tear my stomach up.

Just wondering how Prednisone worked out for any others here who have taken it for Gout ???

Not surprising. Prednisone is like a miracle drug for any inflammatory condition. Of course, it has its problems when used chronically. Short courses (ten or fifteen days), broken up by long periods without it, are the way to use it. In other words, it shines for acute issues, but is not so good for chronic issues.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have been taking it since around the first of May. I endured 2 months of joint pain that was so bad I could barely get up out of bed or a chair. After many blood tests and finally got in to see a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with pseudo gout and osteoarthritis. Was also put on colchicine to keep the calcium crystals from building up. It is a wonder drug but not something you want to be on long term. They are in the process of weaning me off it and replace it with something that doesn’t have the nasty side effects. Good luck, Dave

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Uric acid is a bitch to get out of your system once it begins to accumulate and crystalize. Pound the water, zinc helps, pound black cherry juice (you can also take a pill form as well), and take NASIDS in addition to whatever your doctor put you on. Most of the common pharmaceuticals to reduce uric acid like probenecid, allopurinol, febuxostat and pegloticase have side effects that all pretty much means you will sit on the can for a few days. I suppose the good news is, you lose weight in the process. Prednisone has it's own challenges but taken in short courses is tolerable.

The best preventative is drink tons a water every day and piss your uric acid away.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Colchicine is something that is somewhat intolerable after a few days, my experience is its usage only in a gout attack, but never as a follow up to keep on after the attack is over. It’s a drug that’s hard on the stomach, digestive system and intestines. Good luck, hope you feel better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Not surprising. Prednisone is like a miracle drug for any inflammatory condition. Of course, it has its problems when used chronically. Short courses (ten or fifteen days), broken up by long periods without it, are the way to use it. In other words, it shines for acute issues, but is not so good for chronic issues.

Prednisone is a miracle drug for sure

I no longer have zits on my ass cheeks

It’s either that or no longer being subjected to swamp ass conditions while roofing.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Neal,

Wife took that anipur-whatever and clocris (sic) when she needed. But she swore by tart cherry juice getting it under control. And diet!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/13/21.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had gout strike 3 weeks ago. Took a week of chugging water for it to go away.
Or maybe the gallbladder attack made me forget about the gout, hell i dunno.
Big toe was bitching, now it aint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A plug for Uloric

Was on that for couple years. Still no gout but I’ve been on a few of the popular gout meds for elevated uric acid

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Neal,

Wife took that anipur-whatever and clocris (sic) when she needed. But she swore by tart cherry juice getting it under control. And diet!

Yep. A lot of folks have recommended the tart Cherry Juice before. Swear by it too. I just started like the taste of it.

Someone needs to invent a pill form of that stuff.

This is the first Gout Attack I’ve had since dropping 40 lbs.

Down to 200 from 240.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,147
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.