Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jstocks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Probably about as popular as someone posting asking for help to learn turkey hunting in my part of the world, but here goes nothing.

I’m not looking for a state, unit, or none of that. I’m asking because I want to learn and I want to try a hunt in the next couple of years.

During the rut and the earlier seasons, on public land, where do you find elk? Meaning are they typically in a higher altitude, and pushed back into deeper thicker stuff when pressure starts?

Also, I’m an “easterner” so I don’t know what I don’t know. Are atv’s used to get back further down trailheads out west, or do people have to walk or ride horses to get back away from the crowds?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For now , I would peruse all these elky threads for information. There are some pretty savvy dudes on here that have hunted elk for much of their lives in most places elk reside. I am a mere novice still compared to some, and never did I stop learning all the years I hunted them.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

troublesome:

Check your PMs

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Check your PMS

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As with most hunting the harder it is to access an area the less pressure there will be on the animals.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start getting in shape now. I took a day trip bowhunting elk yesterday - Walked 7 miles with ~2500' of elevation gain. Started at 6,000' and topped out about 8500'. That does not include all the little ups and downs along the way. Pretty typical jaunt here in So. Idaho.

Anywhere ATV's are legal there will be ATV's and no elk.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
when the pressure's on, they'll do 1 of 2 things. They'll go into the nasty stuff to hide, or they'll move down onto private land where you can look at them like in a zoo. I think their favorite app for determining land ownership is OnX.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by troublesome82
For now , I would peruse all these elky threads for information. There are some pretty savvy dudes on here that have hunted elk for much of their lives in most places elk reside. I am a mere novice still compared to some, and never did I stop learning all the years I hunted them.

Elk will be his best teachers... And it takes many many years of trials and tribulations. I am still learning..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
when the pressure's on, they'll do 1 of 2 things. They'll go into the nasty stuff to hide, or they'll move down onto private land where you can look at them like in a zoo. I think their favorite app for determining land ownership is OnX.

This!!!!!!! ^^^

And my brother has been claiming for years elk can also read the season dates in the Big Game brochure...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The answers to your questions will be based on several variables. In several elk states there are several seasons typically from Sept-Nov. some bow only, some muzzle loader, multiple centerfire rifle. These go from early rut to late season and from very warm weather to very impactful cold and adverse snow storm weather. Elk will behave much differently in accordance with hot and cold weather and obviously in the rut vs immediate post rut and very late season hunting. You should really narrow down your season and geographic area and then you can start to formulate a plan. You can literally write several books on elk behavior. Obviously in the rut bulls are vulnerable, chasing them after that and into November is another story altogether. At that time they are worn from fighting and hunting pressure and are extremely weary. They eat less, stay in the heaviest of cover in places many won’t go. It’s hard to believe animals that large with antlers that size can get though miles of timber deadfall. That’s where the big ones hole up usually until mid December. They all come low after that to feed on ranch property.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In unusually hot weather, we can find them at 8k and above, on the north slopes hiding in steep black timber to stay cool. They'll come out about sundown...if they feel like it. Well, I said 'we can find them'. I should have said that's where they'll be as usually we can't find them. Steep black timber can be very noisy walking and they'll hear you coming and scram.

By late Sept, they're wearing their winter woollies. They're dressed for -20. If it's +80, they have to find a place to stay cool and it won't be easy to get to it.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Probably about as popular as someone posting asking for help to learn turkey hunting in my part of the world, but here goes nothing.

I’m not looking for a state, unit, or none of that. I’m asking because I want to learn and I want to try a hunt in the next couple of years.

During the rut and the earlier seasons, on public land, where do you find elk? Meaning are they typically in a higher altitude, and pushed back into deeper thicker stuff when pressure starts?

Also, I’m an “easterner” so I don’t know what I don’t know. Are atv’s used to get back further down trailheads out west, or do people have to walk or ride horses to get back away from the crowds?

A lot of Good Info here So Far, and I'm Sure More will be Coming!

Let me ask You a few Questions? What your Age? What shape, physical Condition are you in? Do you Hunt Now? What kind of Hunting do you Do?(If you Do) Rifle? Bow? Muzzle loader?
Don't Misunderstand me, By no means should you let any thing stop you from Trying!
In my opinion, there's several levels of Hunting, Especially, Elk Hunting!
Tips:
Read as much as you Can! Watch Meat Eater Com Cast Videos! To Me their the Most Real, and Down to Earth! IMO!
Yeah there's a lot to it, and a lot Depends on what your Capable of, and Familiar With!
One of the Biggest things that Experienced Hunters Talk about today, is having enough points to get Drawn in Some Good Areas! So one might Start to research ares of interest and Put in for Hunting Points, Cuz Before you know it 10 yrs. go by, and you Don't have any points! So while your gaining experience and learning, for a small amount you can stack up points!
My oldest Son has taken me up on that Same Advice, and he's acquiring some nice, Stacks of points, in Several Areas, at a fairly young age!

I know this is a lot kinda Fast, But Remember, it's a Marathon, Not a Sprint!

Getting in Shape and Getting Acclimated, is the Big Thing!
That's Why we Go in Several days Earlier!
Hydrate, Hydrate, and Hydrate!

One of the last National Average Stats I saw was that it usually takes a Bow Hunter 10 Trips, on Average, to Nail One!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Jstocks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for all the replies fellas. To answer some of the questions posed to me:

Yes, I’m an avid hunter. I’d say above average. I’m 40 years old and raised in the South. I’ve hunted various game in ~20 states. I’ve killed my share of turkeys and whitetails. Probably raise in some of the toughest woods and swamps to hunt that type game.

As far as shape, I’m a lil overweight and could stand to lose 30 lbs, but I’m fairly athletic and weight comes off fairly easily for me. When I set my mind to it, I can stick to a regime of exercise and diet.

I’ve hunted the Frank Church before for mountain lion twice. Following the dogs from the creeks below up and over the top of the ridges all the way above tree line was quite an experience. It’s been a few years, but I remember the terrain.

For elk I plan on hunting September wherever I decide to go. I’m really leaning towards doing some of the easier draws and otc stuff. I haven’t completely ruled out landowner tag type hunts, but I think I’d be more satisfied with public land diy.

Part of what I love about this type of stuff is researching new gear, maps, talking with new people, etc…

I’m not a trophy hunter, so trophy quality areas are least of what concerns me about the planning. Pretty much want to hear some bugle, work at learning how to hunt them by their habits, and any legal game that I feel confident on the shot will not be passed.

I’m good at reading maps and gps, and I can pick out terrain features to narrow scouting down to specific features and areas.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bow or muzzleloader?

J
Jstocks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Leaning towards muzzleloader.

J
Jstocks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Probably stay away from the wolf and grizz states.
Seems like when I went cat hunting the wolves had the elk scattered and had decimated the historical herds in the Frank Church from historical reports on the tents of the outfitter to the actual numbers we saw while I was there. That was 15 years ago but it seemed pretty thin.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of people drive past elk heading to the dark, deep, steep, far places. If it looks real “elky” on a map and in person, you’re probably not going to be alone anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SLM
A lot of people drive past elk heading to the dark, deep, steep, far places. If it looks real “elky” on a map and in person, you’re probably not going to be alone anymore.
Most elk hunters never get more than a couple miles from the road. Horse hunters will go much farther back, 5 to 10 or more. There are a lot of elk in between that get minimal pressure.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I'd add - dont play the tag waiting game. As has been pointed out, the best teacher is the elk itself. You'll need to make the 4000 mistakes to figure that critter out. My advice is to get started on the learning curve now. Plan on a cow hunt. Kill a couple elk to learn where they live, how they react, and mostly how friggin' big they are when laying dead on the ground. You'll need to have a plan on getting them out, especially in September.

I'd also say, make sure to not set lofty goals and mostly enjoy the experience. Not bringing home an elk still means you got to spend a week or more in some of the most beautiful country God created. I call it armed hiking at times.

As to shortening the learning curve, check out Randy Newberg series on elk periods, Mark Livesay video series on elk scouting, and/or Corey Jacobson university of elk.

Good luck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Confucius once said "Elk are where you find them".

Elk can be much closer to a road, than one would think. You can find them in peoples yards in Evergreen, CO, and also 8 miles deep in the Flattops Wilderness.

If you can't go deep into the mountains, look for elk in more accessible areas, especially near access roads leading miles into the hills. I used to archery hunt such an area. The main forest service road went about 36 miles before it stopped at a wilderness area. I hunted at the front and had a ball, with very few other hunters in the area. It seems like most guys were driving all the way back to the 'wilderness', while I enjoyed very good hunting, with very little pressure.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 34 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.