Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What brand and why did you pick that brand of plate carrier do you use for Level IV body armor?

I see an upgrade in plate carrier/vest in my future due to current events.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
ARIC

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Velocity systems or Crye Precision

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I went with a Combat Vet owned company called Tacticon. The price for the carrier and AR500 plates was unbeatable so I bought 2 sets. They had a 4th of July special on AR600 plates so I bought another set. For what it’s being used for it more than satisfies my needs. I’ve been extremely happy with their products and their customer service.

I also found a steal of a deal on level IV FAST helmets from a different company that offers incredible protection for the price. (Under $300 for the 1 I bought). Rated for 7.62x51 147gr FMJ at PBR.

If I were wearing it daily and humping the hills I might choose different but for the intended use they are MORE than adequate and the prices can’t be beat.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can see why someone would have armor handy, & not trying to knock it if you do. Maybe I'm stupid , but if someone were wearing armor & I wanted to hurt them I'd shoot for the legs, pelvis or neck. All easy shots with a rifle. Wouldn't you agree?

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I can see why someone would have armor handy, & not trying to knock it if you do. Maybe I'm stupid , but if someone were wearing armor & I wanted to hurt them I'd shoot for the legs, pelvis or neck. All easy shots with a rifle. Wouldn't you agree?

I'd shoot them right between the eyes.. but that's just me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So would I

But most people are not smart

John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'd shoot them right between the eyes.. but that's just me..

Laffin’. Think I’d go for the testicular gap. If you miss to the 4 corners you still catch meat!

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RMA Armor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't think it was all that easy to shoot specific parts or extremeties, but I got out and became a nurse.

Oh, and I've got a few carriers, but my light level 4 plates are in an LBT carrier.

Last edited by goalie; 09/14/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
What brand and why did you pick that brand of plate carrier do you use for Level IV body armor?

I see an upgrade in plate carrier/vest in my future due to current events.

I've only used what's issued, and they haven't been great.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Extremities are very survivable, the neck is hard to hit, and the pelvis is a small target that's not always reliable. Armor protects the largest parts of you, that move the least, that are the most dangerous.

It's like wearing a motorcycle helmet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

That is a great theory.

In reality there are a whole lot of combat vets that are alive today because they wore armor and that armor saved them from death or serious injury. Also sometimes the chest plates do things like save you from major injuries when you start playing "Lets ram the shidt out of each other with our vehicles to get this party started!".

Speaking of vehicles. It is pretty easy to get shredded into hamburger if you are in an effective attack.

See a picture of my vehicle below.

It is very easy to get have your lungs deflated when they have chunks of flying metal rip them apart.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

People can choose to go without armor if they want, relying on "Hope" as their strategy, or they think they are so high speed that they will shoot every single opponent first that they encounter (often simultaneously, and at different ranges, elevations and angles) , and come through without a scratch, due to their obviously incredible skill sets.

Personally when in environments where the threat posture dictates a heightened response, I will take the added personal protection equipment.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you suggest? From where / who?

Thanks.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Body armor is like a seatbelt. Most of the time my seatbelt is just there. But the one time I needed it, in a head-on collision with a drunk driver at 85 MPH, it was the most important piece if kit I owned.

To Mack's point,

When I was in Iraq, I saw lots and lots of shot up Soldiers and Airmen (I commanded an AF EOD flight) return to their family with really bad injuries, as long as their core was intact, or as long as their body armor held their injured core in place.

Gunshots, IEDs, vehicle mishaps, you name it.

Body armor is cheap, and I have a drawer in the truck for that and a carbine and enough ammo to get some distance between me and a threat.

Heightened awareness or (something) diligence is what the VA calls it.

Not wanting to die for stupid reasons when the idiots (Antifa, et al) are using kinetic means to their end is what I call it.

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You were shot through the lung? Where did this take place?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am very much a civilian but carry body armor in my truck.

A couple of notes from a first time user regardless of which one you buy.

1--Learn how to wear it. Make certain the front plate is high enough. Plenty of videos out there.
2) Learn how to put it on quickly. Every so often I grab mine and put it on quickly to stay in practice. If you ever need it you will be under pressure and more than likely fall back to training instead of rising to the occasion.
3) Wear it. I walk on paths through the woods behind my house and will wear my vest with the plates. After three or four miles you will find out how comfortable it is and what needs to be adjusted.
4) I do not have a ton of crap on mine. One thing I need to add is a tourniquet. I carry one in a backpack in my truck but having one on the vest is important to me.

This is the one I have, remember I have nothing to compare it to but I am happy with it so far.

Plate Carrier

One other thing, I have never been in a firefight, but would be willing to bet a head shot is pretty difficult with somebody shooting at you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bageezzzus, where do you guys live that you have to wear body armor?

I bet for the price of armor, you could buy a tank of fuel and get out of there.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
see the seatbelt comment.

It's like saying, for the price of a seatbelt, I could drive to where there are less accidents.

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike I wouldn't try a headshot under stress I'd shoot for torso which would make armor effective. I'm thinking along the lines of the other poster, where do yall live that you need body armor? I can see me mowing my yard in body armor with a pistol on my hip & my AR mounted on a swivel on hood of lawn tractor. You folks must live in some dangerous areas.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I knew this thread would turn out the way it’s going. The seatbelt analogy is an excellent one and one that I was going to bring up before deciding that I’m not interested in convincing anyone or justifying my reasons for owning body armor. I will say that I’m comfortable having the same mindset as those brave guys that have BTDT like Mackay and DW. Their reasons mirror mine and the situations they describe are EXACTLY the situations where I believe body armor is extremely useful.

I also have an extensive first aid kit in every vehicle as well as an IFAK on every vest. Quick clot, tourniquets, SCW HyFin vents, pneumothorax decompression needles, etc are part of every kit with O2 and IV therapy in my big bag. I’m responsible for mine and my family’s safety and since I’m trained in the proper use of such equipment I would be irresponsible to not avail myself of every advantage.ymmv

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.