Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses so I figured I'd throw it out here.

My buddy and I have done a couple of DIY OTC rifle hunts in CO, both unsuccessful. We would like to harvest an elk for the meat, we're not necessarily all that into antlers, though a bull would be nice someday. So at this point we're interested in a DIY cow hunt. I've seen the comment/strategy of doing a cow hunt while building points for a bull hunt. We'd be interested in that possibility, maybe learning an area via cow hunting while gaining points for a future draw hunt in the same area.

What do you all think is the "best" state for an NR rifle cow hunt? By best I guess I'd mean likelihood of getting a tag, numbers of elk, hunter success, tag cost, etc. We have I believe all the gear we need. Would probably be most likely interested in a hunt where we'd be truck camping.

If there are other aspects of this that are important to mention, feel free to throw them in. Once we determine which state we'd prefer then I'll dive into the info on that state's site and start doing more in-depth research.

Thanks for the help!

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Crusader
. . . . we're not necessarily all that into antlers, though a bull would be nice someday. . .

My gawd
I can't believe that somebody besides myself would ever
post that online

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses . . .

You probably won't ever get any kind of response
there unless you post that you're parking at the
Canadian border and packing into Colorado over
the mountains on foot with all your gear on your
back and carrying no water or food and 3 rounds
of ammunition

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You’re pretty late to the party for cow elk tags.
Do you have any points saved up or ?
I can’t speak for other states, but Oregon cow tags are
Pretty low and require lots of luck or lots of points. I don’t think there are any OTC cow hunts. Unless you archery and it’s a hair/either sex tag in the unit.
Start looking for private ranches or guides that have depredation, or damage control tags. I know Oregon is giving out a [bleep] load of cow tags to ranchers. But obviously that will be pay to play.

I’m doing cow hunt like that next month in Utah

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You could save yourself some money and do a high fence hunt in Texas.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've got some info for you via pm

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have been exploring this lately. I can get a fully guided 5 day, all inclusive cow elk hunt in NM for $3700. That includes, meals, lodging, licenses, game retrieval and everything other than final meat processing. Figure out how much you'd have to sink into a public land hunt going your own way, then compare prices. The outfitter is very well respected an has excellent reviews. This is a private ranch hunt. I am going to do this if my bud will roger up.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses . . .

of ammunition

😁. To the op, Wyoming has a lot to offer.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by wytex
I've got some info for you via pm

ditto

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I could probably still sneak into some honey holes in my old stomping grounds , even though much of it has been burned, but what has become apparent in my recent years here in coulee country is how many there are from just this area that go to CO to hunt elk. I am thankful I got as many years as I did in the high country without running into many other hunters, most hunts none!

IC B3

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I figure I spend about $2500 not including trespass fee for 9 day hunt in Colorado. I’m happy to pay the ranch fee and not contend with all the honyonks making a nuisance of themselves on public land, plus it’s safer and more enjoyable not seeing a pumpkin patch on every hillside. Success rate varies year to year but I’m batting .570 for the 14 seasons I've hunted that spot. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info, guys. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm not looking for a hunt this year, but for 2022 or maybe 2023.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ranger99

of ammunition

Hahahaha so perfect. My thoughts exactly.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why wouldn't you stick to Colorado?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for a state that offers depredation hunts. Look for a ranch that offers depredation hunts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Haven’t read all the posts but if not mentioned be sure to check for cow opportunities in Wyo.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We hunt Wyoming and it is "affordable". We pay a $1600 trespass/guide fee plus tags are around $550 I believe. The ranch is right in Jackson and we have always filled out the first morning. It is super easy flat land hunting and our guide fee gets the animal skinned, quartered and hanging on the pole. We stay in a hotel right in town so that adds $50 or so per guy per night. All in all, it is very reasonable and 2 guys can easily get all our junk in 1 truck along with 2 quartered fat cows.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Why wouldn't you stick to Colorado?

Yep, we're open to sticking with Colorado, just wanted to get input on other possibilities.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Colorado has the largest elk number of any Western State, I would think that learning the country and sticking with it would bring results.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is no best: Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Idaho etc all have cow Elk tags available with between random to 0-4 points that will get you into DYI cow Elk. Success varies with how hard you hunt. In 5-7 days or as little as 1 day, you could be packing out meat from Public lands and for little money. If you are looking to be pampered, there are plenty of ranches in those states that will have you hunt on a private land or equivalent tag, usually a 2-3 day sometimes longer hunt all-in for between $900-$2500+, plus your tag fees, tips and meat processing etc.

Just pick a state and do some research and don't forget to test for CWD and follow game transportation rules across state lines to a avoid fines and spread of CWD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.