Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm having a new barrel screwed on one of my Remingtons and the smith is trying to convince me a remage is a better option than the shouldered traditional Remington design. I know it's easier on the smith to nut it but is there any real advantage to the nut for me? I don't ever see me shooting this barrel out (350 legend), so that's not really a consideration.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time to find another smith. He is getting paid to perform a service not tell you to pay for something that is easier for him.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is there a significant cost savings to you for his easier service?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Is there a significant cost savings to you for his easier service?

Exactly, I would guess it should only cost about $50 for him to install the Re-age barrel over cost of barrel.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Turn around time too.

A lot of people report being happy with Criterion barrels done this way.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hell if he's going to sell you on a Remage barrel, just buy the tools and cut him from the equation. Barrel vice, action wrench, and barrel nut wrench shouldn't cost more than $150 total.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a blank already so he would have to cut threads either way. I'm sure it would save me some money but I like the looks of a clean shoulder vs the nut. I have Savages and RARs and like them just fine for what they are. I just wanted to know if there was any advantage other than turn around time and cost.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bbassi
I bought a blank already so he would have to cut threads either way. I'm sure it would save me some money but I like the looks of a clean shoulder vs the nut. I have Savages and RARs and like them just fine for what they are. I just wanted to know if there was any advantage other than turn around time and cost.

If you want the shoulder, then get the shoulder. It's your rifle, and you'll regret it later every time you have to look at that barrel nut.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I agree with Longshot, get what you want and be happy. I personally would want the shoulder on mine.

NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I’m with the others. Get what you like. The barrel nuts are fine but I wouldn’t pay a smith to do one.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If the gunsmith has suggested it, that is one thing. Trying to convince you to do something is another ball game.

I agree with Old Tucson. Kick the gunsmith to the curb and find another one.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you bought a blank, there's no reason to have a nut job done.

Barrel nuts are awesome...for cutting a smith out of the equation. Kinda funny a smith recommends one. Really not going to save him anything...except you can cut him out easily in the future. Unless he modifies your factory threads.

I do like my remage. But there's no way I'd pay a smith to do it. Heck, you can even rent gages and minimize cost even more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a barrel nut is wanted, buy a Savage.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Been watching the responses. Would be interested in a follow-up, specifically, why the recommendation? As pointed out, the potential cost and turn around benefits? Nut fan, however, I don't see a benefit given the stated plan. No negative either for that matter. Possibly he hates machining shoulders, yet is not using a prefit? Has a specific barrel in mind for you, without the required shoulder diameter? Who knows.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only reason I’d go with the nut is if I planned on barrel-swapping. Just to make it easier on the smith- ha!

If that pisses him off, go elsewhere to ensure a good job without any “revenge” involved.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by longshot3
Originally Posted by bbassi

If you want the shoulder, then get the shoulder. It's your rifle, and you'll regret it later every time you have to look at that barrel nut.

This right here would be how I look at it for myself.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If I were doing a Rem Age barrel, I wouldn't need a smith. That is the whole point.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Altogether this seems odd.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Altogether this seems odd.

why do you say that?

I had a good talk with my smith tonight when I dropped the parts off. I guess my initial phrasing might have been a little off. He was not pushing me so much as gently suggesting I might want to go that option. He's getting ready to retire in the next couple years and thought this might be something I could do myself in the future. He has no problem cutting the shoulder for me if that's what I want. Being I'm a lefty, he's done a bunch of work for me over the years and I consider him a friend. I didn't mean for my original question to come across as bitching or complaining. I simply wondered if there was a logical reason that I had not thought of for going with the nut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,215
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.