Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
My dad drew the DM783 hunt this year. We live in southeast and neither of us have been on moose hunts. Or at least on a successful moose hunt. So interior moose hunts are foreign to us at this time.

So if y'all have some practical advice about this particular hunt, or solid general moose advice, stuff to have, things to avoid, etc. I'd love to hear it.

We currently have no set travel or hunt plans, and the season for this draw hint goes until mid February if I recall correctly.

Thanks in advance!

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go early... it gets incredibly cold there. Frank Glaser's (Alaska's Wolf Man book subject) stomping grounds way back when.

No developed campgrounds to speak of. Good, though winding, road. Did I mention cold?

Not sure if Black Rapids Lodge is open, but I doubt it. Did I mention cold?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A muzzle loader hunt designed to get the moose along the highway to reduce road kills.
There's a few side roads etc......check with local folks in Salcha.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't you make a thread about this already a while back? Somebody did on here anyhow and I swore they mentioned it was their dad's tag.

I have the same tag and set several game cameras out. Lots of cows and a few small bulls but the one decent sized bull I was watching got killed the other day during the regular rifle hunt. I have trail cam pics of them getting it out on their wheeler. No biggie I guess. One of my other game cams on a power line ROW was stolen. It was about a half mile hike from a decent access point along the highway and surrounded by steeper and thicker areas so I figured it was a safe place for a camera, but such is life.

Is your old man willing to take a cow?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Didn't you make a thread about this already a while back? Somebody did on here anyhow and I swore they mentioned it was their dad's tag.

Is your old man willing to take a cow?

I made a post a few years ago about gmu20 moose hunt that *would have* been my first moose hunt... but our truck broke down outside of haines on the drive north. We turned around just in time to catch the ferry back to Juneau. We already had the week off so we did an alpine deer hunt on admiralty and came down with two forkies.

But anyway, yes my dad is not particular about cow or bull. He'd rather not shoot a youngster but other than that all is fair game.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hear it can get cold up thataway.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skinning moose at -40 is no fun.. I go sooner than later..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 907brass

So if y'all have some practical advice about this particular hunt, or solid general moose advice, stuff to have, things to avoid, etc. I'd love to hear it.

Your dad has a smokepole? I've got a couple thundersticks. I can give you some shooting tips/lessons at the local range.

Big issue is you can't travel with "ammo" (loose powder). You'll need some available at the other end (FBX or ANC). Blackhorn 209 is the stuff you want.

Unless you're going with stick and string . . .

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
My dad has muzzleloader and archery endorsements.
I have archery but no muzzleloader. Might take you up on those lessons.

We have been challenging each other to get better with the bows lately so that might currently be how he's leaning.

I'm also curious, for those of you who moose hunt -- obviously it's my dad's tag, but are backup shots allowed on moose if only one person has the tag? If I also had a muzzloader could I legally back him up, or am I just there to pack meat?

Last edited by 907brass; 09/14/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, I swore that same "back up" question was asked when I referenced the past instance of this hunt being talked about on this forum.

Total deja vu going on here.

I believe the answer generally is no, unless there is some sort of official handicap with your dad involved. Bison is the only exception that I am aware of, outside of DLPs.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dude, I swore that same "back up" question was asked when I referenced the past instance of this hunt being talked about on this forum.

I believe the answer generally is no, unless there is some sort of official handicap with your dad involved. Bison is the only exception that I am aware of, outside of DLPs.

ADF&G encourage back-up shooters for brown bears and I have heard Troopers say they do not care about any of that when there is a question of losing an animal.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is good to hear.
I have heard that about brown bears but not moose. I have never seen anything official concerning that with the bears and I didn't want to give bad info. Is that stated somewhere in the regs or just something that is commonly accepted?

As for moose I don't think it is legal at all or at least not officially acceptable. I could be wrong I guess. A call to ADFG is probably best, like usual.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is good to hear.
I have heard that about brown bears but not moose. I have never seen anything official concerning that with the bears and I didn't want to give bad info. Is that stated somewhere in the regs or just something that is commonly accepted?

As for moose I don't think it is legal at all or at least not officially acceptable. I could be wrong I guess. A call to ADFG is probably best, like usual.

So what are your thoughts on a wingman and fat chicks?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know much about being a wingman. I am ALWAYS all about the fatties though.

Winner.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular

I was remembering a similar conversation too. Searched all my posts and found it. Was totally me replying to the draw hint results thread. Pardon my short term memory.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...true/re-the-results-are-out#Post15811309

Last edited by 907brass; 09/15/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
So what is y'alls best estimate on when that area consistently get too cold to be fun?

Last edited by 907brass; 09/15/21.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think a lot depends on individual cold tolerance and if you will be tenting or motel. (Are any open then?) Having a warm place to go to makes a big difference. Also, every year is different, so tough to have a lot of certainty.

That said, I’d say git r done before thanksgiving.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 907brass

I was remembering a similar conversation too. Searched all my posts and found it. Was totally me replying to the draw hint results thread. Pardon my short term memory.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...true/re-the-results-are-out#Post15811309

Ha! It is all good but at least I can confirm I am not totally nuts!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The back-up shooter questions comes up often with the Delta Bison Hunt.
There has ben several incidents where both the primary and secondary shooters are super excited and the back-up
shooter fires without confirming which bison was the intended target. Could be embarrassing!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
The back-up shooter questions comes up often with the Delta Bison Hunt.
There has ben several incidents where both the primary and secondary shooters are super excited and the back-up
shooter fires without confirming which bison was the intended target. Could be embarrassing!

Which is why they collect bullet and cartridge information on back-up shooters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.