Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Being a Front Ranger I guess, I wasn't taking about us. I thought maybe easterners coming from out of state could use the info before finding out when they got here they had another 220miles to go to get to their hunt area

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks SS! Do you think it will be cleared for first rifle elk? I like taking the southern route out so as not to have to pass through Chitcago! Stay in Glenwood Springs or Rifle and then hit the rifle range in Meeker and then on to the hunting camp.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last month, when I think the Canyon was closed for mudslides the second time, wife and I were headed from the Pueblo area to Meeker to do some offroading east of Meeker in the Sleepy Cat Mtn. area. We took hwy. 50 to hwy. 9, thru Breckenridge to get to Silverthorne for the north detour up thru Kremmling, Steamboat Spgs, then Craig and south to Meeker- added about 2 hours to our travel.

4 days later, the canyon was still closed, so we headed south to Rifle, then east to Glenwood Spgs, and south to Aspen. It took a full hour to get thru the town of Aspen, which was crowded with tourists. Then, we headed over Independence Pass, which has a 35' vehicle length limit, and a $1500 fine if violated. My rig, towing my Polaris General, is 36' but at that point there was no turning back. The trip over Independence pass was a trip from Hell.

It will probably now be weeks, if not months, until the canyon is opened fully, depending on whether or not additional heavy rainfall occurs.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
Thanks SS! Do you think it will be cleared for first rifle elk? I like taking the southern route out so as not to have to pass through Chitcago! Stay in Glenwood Springs or Rifle and then hit the rifle range in Meeker and then on to the hunting camp.

Hard to say Sako.Right now they are reporting weeks to clear mud and rock.Form the news videos, it looks like it is mostly rock.. Right now the northern detour looks like you best bet.There are reports of gas shortages in Dillon, Kremmling, Steamboat, Craig, and Meeker from all the traffic

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm loving the lack of traffic on my i70 commute. I cannot imagine it being closed much longer, they're under pressure to get it opened asap

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks SS!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Surprise.On the 4 o'clock news, Polis was on there saying he was sure I-70 would be open this coming Saturday. Just on the 6 o"clock news they said limited opening.So I am guessing maybe one lane in each direction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a kid growing up, we used to travel from Arvada to the ranch at Silt all the time, including middle of winter, spring rains, summer dry spells, etc. I do not remember ever having any issues getting through Glenwood Canyon at any time. Worst problems were going over Loveland Pass - I do remember setting at the bottom at the first big curve, in the line of traffic, waiting for the plows to open the road. I was glad, though, when Dad got transferred to Delta when I was a sophomore in high school. Liked the country a whole lot better, and did not have to fight the Denver idiots that were heading to the ski areas as things really cleared up in the winter once we hit the top of Vail (until they built Vail ski area), then it was Minturn, then Eagle as the condos got built in the ranch land between Minturn and Eagle. I think they really screwed something up with the geology when they built I70 through the canyon (and removed some good fishing spots).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like they got it partially open. It's been closed nearly weekly all year. I highly recommend any traveler to watch cotrip.org. Gas stations in Craig are living large! Maybe with some of the infrastructure bill Biden bucks Amtrak will buy more time on the railroad.

There's no silver bullet for that mess in Glenwood Canyon. They'll need avalanche roofs like on the highway to Red Mtn plus work up that entire drainage system that spits onto the interstate if they want any sort of permanent fix.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BeanMan
It wasn’t a humongous rock and mud slide, it was several. From my perspective its a good thing, much quieter on the Best Slope now.

Yesssss!!!!!!!!

Now all we need is a small earthquake on the Continental Divide and the Eisenhower Tunnel collapses......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deltakid
As a kid growing up, we used to travel from Arvada to the ranch at Silt all the time, including middle of winter, spring rains, summer dry spells, etc. I do not remember ever having any issues getting through Glenwood Canyon at any time. Worst problems were going over Loveland Pass - I do remember setting at the bottom at the first big curve, in the line of traffic, waiting for the plows to open the road. I was glad, though, when Dad got transferred to Delta when I was a sophomore in high school. Liked the country a whole lot better, and did not have to fight the Denver idiots that were heading to the ski areas as things really cleared up in the winter once we hit the top of Vail (until they built Vail ski area), then it was Minturn, then Eagle as the condos got built in the ranch land between Minturn and Eagle. I think they really screwed something up with the geology when they built I70 through the canyon (and removed some good fishing spots).

There was a reason Glenwood Canyon was the last stretch of interstate to be built in the USA. Besides the engineering feat of fitting 4 lanes through there, the threat of rockslides/landslides/mudslides was predicted. Eventually they just ignored those risks and pressed on.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
maybe ill have less company hunting out here this year as often as its been closed lately.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MAC
You can take 14 through Ft Collings over Cameron Pass to Walden and then drop down as well. I grew up in northern CO and haven't bothered with 70 for decades. It went to hell when the built Vail in the late 60s and early 70s.

I am just picking up old news from that area , but the monsoons this summer have closed many of the highways and FS roads for brief periods. 125 south out of Walden was closed a few weeks ago with debris and flooding. Am sure they are passable now though. The two big fires up there last fall has put a ton of ash and debris into the drainages.

Last edited by troublesome82; 08/24/21. Reason: wording
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
The worst thing is the [bleep] from the front range will come to Wyoming.. They are unwanted pests..

Yea, that's a fact.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I swear we didn’t defile Wyoming coming from Indiana to Co. on I-80

The route down from Rawlings and Baggs to Craig is interesting as a big section of pavement is gone and is dirt, and pretty darn rough for quite a few miles. It was like that 2 years ago and still is.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BigPine
I swear we didn’t defile Wyoming coming from Indiana to Co. on I-80

The route down from Rawlings and Baggs to Craig is interesting as a big section of pavement is gone and is dirt, and pretty darn rough for quite a few miles. It was like that 2 years ago and still is.

Where is that section? I drove 789/13 from Creston Jct to Baggs to Craig in 2019. Didn’t notice the dirt since it was hard pack snow and ice for the whole 93 miles. 😎

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You must have been on it WAM . That is a lonely stretch of road . There is a temporary stoplight and a one way stretch for a ways. No cell service or a radio station you can pull in for most of it . We were headed to Meeker

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I drive through Ogden on 15 and hit I-84 thru Morgan then onto 80 across WY to 789 down thru Baggs onto CO-13 down to Hamilton, CO. I avoid that stretch during darkness for the reason you stated. Happy Trails

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
I drive through Ogden on 15 and hit I-84 thru Morgan then onto 80 across WY to 789 down thru Baggs onto CO-13 down to Hamilton, CO. I avoid that stretch during darkness for the reason you stated. Happy Trails

Is this still jacked up? Last time I was there it was bad...

The beatings will continue until morale improves
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by captbutch
Originally Posted by WAM

Is this still jacked up? Last time I was there it was bad...

Colorado DOT thru Oct 2 (maybe longer): Intermittent Traffic Stops, Alternating Single Lane Closures, on CO 13 Northbound / Southbound from milemarker 110.8 to 116.2, Crews will be working throughout the SH 13 corridor.

https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?RoadWorkAlertId=354737

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,583
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.