Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mid October Antelope #16434601 09/14/21
Sakoluvr Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What can I expect on a mid October Antelope hunt in Wyoming? Private land, 023. Never been before.

Rut will be completely over, right? Will bucks be grouped up? What about weather? Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B2

Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16435103 09/14/21
Ranch13 Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
The bucks will most likely still be with the does.
The weather can be anything from 60's and sunny to 0 and almost blizzard conditions. Be prepared for either.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16435591 Yesterday at 12:27 AM
E
ENorton Offline
E
What Ranch13 said plus depending on weather snakes could still be out.

Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16437235 Yesterday at 01:39 PM
Reba Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
best time to hunt goats

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16437322 Yesterday at 01:59 PM
V
VarmintGuy Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Sakoluvr: The rut will indeed be winding down and near done by then.
I would still take an Antelope call with you - it very often will stop an exiting Buck Antelope for a stand still last look back at you or the area the call came from.
It may be "hot" there in Wyoming in mid-October and I always carried at least one block of ice to stuff into the Antelopes chest cavity to cool them out til they can be skinned and hung up.
Care for the Antelope meat as quickly as possible it will enhance the taste.
Try to Hunt with the rising sun at your back in the mornings and the setting sun at your back in the evenings - makes spotting the Antelope MUCH easier and harder for them to spot you.
Be prepared to stay afield ALL day right up until sunset (have food and water with you etc) the Antelope are out "there" around the clock and you can Hunt all the daylight hours with a chance of success on your approaches.
Best of luck - I love Wyoming.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC-A

Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16438601 Yesterday at 09:16 PM
5spd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my goats are off z34, 38 from opening day to late Oct.
They are always out and about, bucks still with does in small to big groups.
Single bucks can be any where mid day snoozing on hill sides, in drainage etc. They can still be hoarding does as well.
I've taken them mostly by 9am, have guided others and shot them all hours of the day to late evenings.
Plug your nose and bleat like a fawn usually stops the moving ones, just be ready yo shoot very quickly or lay and wait.
Water all over so no single spot attracts them, others do like cattle tanks.

Trump all the way. Biden and Harris are plain idiots that don't stand for you or America
Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16439068 3 hours ago
R
Rossimp Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Always hunt public land (BLM) in Wyoming for pronghorn. In mid October it all depends on hunting pressure from Sept up through mid October. On private land pressure may be somewhat mitigated. But previous hunting pressure does make a difference in closing distances and on pronghorn behavior later in the season after being pursued. Antelope are still seen in 20-30 groupings, if not in greater numbers. The dominant herd buck will still be with his harem. Stalking in late season can be a challenge based on skittish behavior. Having exceptional eyesight and incredible speed they can keep you at bay at 600-800 yards quite easily. So the trick is not to be spotted. In most cases all there is is flat land and blue sky all around so staying low is a given and in many cases you will be crawling on your hands and knees to close distances. Most shots I have taken have been off of a Harris BiPod in prone or sitting position. Over time I have settled on using a 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gr Ballistic Tips for velocity and range capability. Shots I’ve made were from 250 yds - 425 yds. Last one was 305 yds. Weather is typically on the warmer side still, but expect anything. Like was stated previously, they are out and about from sunrise to sunset. Best of luck.

Re: Mid October Antelope [Re: Sakoluvr] #16439152 2 hours ago
Sakoluvr Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks all

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1b
Who's Online Now
627 registered members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1100mag, 73 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 506 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.