Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, help me out. Should I go thru Rick? How much can I expect to pay and of course how long is the wait? Kinda scares me throwing that much money at a custom stock. Help. powdr

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by powdr
Guys, help me out. Should I go thru Rick? How much can I expect to pay and of course how long is the wait? Kinda scares me throwing that much money at a custom stock. Help. powdr

What rifle are you going to throw it on?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Remington 700 in 6mm or 358. Looking at Remington Sporter. powdr

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Someone here may have a used one you can buy at a much discounted price. That's what I always did when I was looking for a good mcmillan stock. They are very nice. Rigid as hell and light, some more than others. I've found used Mcmillans here for around $350.00. That way you can try one out and not get hurt too much if you decide you don't like it. Selling a used one is pretty easy too, as there are always guys looking for them.. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Someone here may have a used one you can buy at a much discounted price. That's what I always did when I was looking for a good mcmillan stock. They are very nice. Rigid as hell and light, some more than others. I've found used Mcmillans here for around $350.00. That way you can try one out and not get hurt too much if you decide you don't like it. Selling a used one is pretty easy too, as there are always guys looking for them.. Good luck with it..

Great advice. The fact you’re looking for a stock for a 700 makes it that much more likely you’ll find one here sooner or later.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Remington 700 in 6mm or 358. Looking at Remington Sporter. powdr

Never ordered through Rick, but it seems like he has a good deal with them. I have typically ordered direct since they offer a decent veterans deal.

I'll echo BSA's thoughts, McMillan has been excellent for me and I'll continue to use them on rifles that need to work and function on tougher hunts.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a good deal.

Originally Posted by RickBin
McMillan was bought recently, and the new owner decided he didn’t want to do business with Internet retailers anymore, is what I was told.

So, after a good run, we are now out of the McMillan business, except for an order or two still in production.

Manners and Grayboe are in play soon.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

I know this goes against the wisdom of the 'fire but I'd think hard about it. McMillan makes a perfectly wonderful product, and I'm sure after the nuclear holocaust a McMillan stock would still be in serviceable shape.

That said, they are expensive as hell, you'll wait a long time for one. If you were 25 years old and had enough sense to buy and use that one gun for everything, McMillan is your huckleberry, cause it will last a lifetime.

Otherwise theres a slew of other stocks out there that will give you great service at a fraction of the price...for a looooong time. JMHO...YMMV

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
^^ that's great advice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You`re right...there was an article recently in one of the gun magazines I get..can`t remember which, but 4-5 composite stocks were tested, including the above mentioned, for accuracy etc, using the same barreled action in each, Mag-Pul won.
There are many choices.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

I know this goes against the wisdom of the 'fire but I'd think hard about it. McMillan makes a perfectly wonderful product, and I'm sure after the nuclear holocaust a McMillan stock would still be in serviceable shape.

That said, they are expensive as hell, you'll wait a long time for one. If you were 25 years old and had enough sense to buy and use that one gun for everything, McMillan is your huckleberry, cause it will last a lifetime.

Otherwise theres a slew of other stocks out there that will give you great service at a fraction of the price...for a looooong time. JMHO...YMMV

Agree 100% with the Poobah. I've never had a rifle shoot better just by putting in a McMillan, plus the new owner is a complete jackwagon.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a factory 700 SA sporter contour (likely the easiest and most common to find) and you're not terribly fussy about the color or color combinations, I'd put a WTB in the classifieds. Expect to pay $400-$475(ish) for a used stock with standard fill and $500-$550(ish - maybe more) for a used stock with Edge fill.

But as mentioned above, McMillan is far from being the only game in town.

If you do put a WTB for a McMillan in the classifieds, you're not going to find one for $200 no matter how many times you bump it, so perhaps pick up the first decent offer you get. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I just sold a l unused Mountain rifle stock for $550.00, that's what I think is the current market for a used 1. The Remington 700 sportster is a copy of The SAKO AIII classic stock & feels great.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Since the McMillan changeover I don't think you can go through Rick any longer.

I may be mistaken.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ky221

I may be mistaken.

Yeah, somebody quoted Rick previously.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Ky221

I may be mistaken.

Yeah, somebody quoted Rick previously.

Doesn't show up for me. My mistake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I havent bought a McM for a while because I haven't needed one.

What are the correlative alternatives beyond Manners? HS Precision that I've seen have been way heavy. Havent actually had a Law/Bansner in hand. What are the others, especially those more affordable?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a few and love them all. Ordered almost all directly from McMillan and have had no issues with any of the custom features I requested. My least favorite was the Remington Sporter but probably just me. Classic, Game Scout, A5 have all been great for various purposes. Many of mine required 0 bedding and shot very very well.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
What other stocks are comparable to McM that are being sold. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.