Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
My parents were hoarders, and when my Mom died, dealing with that mess made me stop and think about all the crap I had that I never really used or needed. Anything I hadn't shot within like a year or so got sold pretty much immediately, then I pared it down from there.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well you are talking in a "savage collectors" forum ! smile

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Loggah

Well, 1/3 of my rifles are 99s now, so I consider it a collection 😂 Just took me into my mid-30s to discover my perfect hunting rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yeah wutter you up to now, three, four Savages? How many do you need?!!!

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I buy a lot I probably shouldn't have, but at prices I know I could for sure make my money back at the least. Extra holes in the metal is a quick way to make it hard to do so. Probably doesn't matter though since I've never sold a gun. Now it I could only find a 1899 project receiver. Turns out that is more difficult than I thought. No wood, doesn't have to have a barrel and don't care about the metal finish. I thought that would be a slam dunk.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yeah wutter you up to now, three, four Savages? How many do you need?!!!

Gotta leave a few for the rest of us 😝

I get it though, some people just love acquiring stuff. My old man has probably 60 rifles he's never shot, with around half of them still in the boxes. Head scratcher to me, but a lot of people do it with all sorts of things.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by damnesia
I buy a lot I probably shouldn't have, but at prices I know I could for sure make my money back at the least. Extra holes in the metal is a quick way to make it hard to do so. Probably doesn't matter though since I've never sold a gun. Now it I could only find a 1899 project receiver. Turns out that is more difficult than I thought. No wood, doesn't have to have a barrel and don't care about the metal finish. I thought that would be a slam dunk.

What's the project?

Imagine someone here would have something to fit the bill. You should make an inquiry post.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've probably got a receiver.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damnesia, I may have one. PM me about Tues and I'll check.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve got a parkerized receiver, s/n in the 200,000’s if memory serves. Not at home, so can’t check.

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The catch is, I don't want a bare receiver. From what I understand, it's a bitch getting the internals to fit properly.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm sort of doing the same thing, slimming down the number of hunting rifles (how many deer rifles does a fella need?), and replacing them with single shot target rifles at a rate of about two for one.

Gary, how many single shot target rifles does a fella need?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack
how many deer rifles does a fella need?

Oh, I'd say 30-40 is probably enough...but more is better.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I'm sort of doing the same thing, slimming down the number of hunting rifles (how many deer rifles does a fella need?), and replacing them with single shot target rifles at a rate of about two for one.

Gary, how many single shot target rifles does a fella need?

One or three for each discipline under ASSRA sanctions: offhand .22, benchrest .22, offhand centerfire .32-40, benchrest centerfire .32-40, benchrest quarterbore (.25 cal.), offhand/benchrest over .40 cal., offhand/benchrest military single shot. Then there's CBA (Cast Bullet Association) shooting: centerfire benchrest/offhand wherein gas checked bullets are allowed, versus plain base only in ASSRA shooting. Hey, you asked!!

Thank goodness you didn't mention single shot deer rifles of which there are a couple floating around here too.

By the time I'm done I'll still have a baker's dozen or so purpose built deer rifles, including a couple Savages, which will help greatly in reducing the pre-season angst over which one to take afield - but still enough to satisfy a loony's experimenting curiosity.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

By the time I'm done I'll still have a baker's dozen or so purpose built deer rifles, including a couple Savages, which will help greatly in reducing the pre-season angst over which one to take afield - but still enough to satisfy a loony's experimenting curiosity.

Any of the deer single shots H&R/NEFs? The one rifle I do regret selling was a H&R I had reamed out to 357 Maximum. Wish I could go back and call a do-over on that deal.

Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Oh, I'd say 30-40 is probably enough...but more is better.

Dad, is that you? 🤣

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by zcm82

Any of the deer single shots H&R/NEFs? The one rifle I do regret selling was a H&R I had reamed out to 357 Maximum. Wish I could go back and call a do-over on that deal.

Sorry, no. I'm a falling block single shot kind of guy. Winchester, Ballard, Stevens, Ruger, etc.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Those Ballards are beautiful rifles 👍

I had little Stevens falling block in 32 rimfire way back when. Fantastic little rabbit rifle, but it got so hard/expensive to find ammo for I ended up getting rid of it after that Navy Arms ammo dried up.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

This rifle is sitting about an hour southeast of you. I was surprised to see any 99 within that close of a proximity to your stash - haha

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sort of doing the same thing (how many deer single shot target rifles does a fella need?),

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy
[quote=gnoahhh]I'm sort of doing the same thing (how many deer single shot target rifles does a fella need?),

grin[/quote

Haha. When I consider that I spend about 100 hours target shooting for every hour I spend deer hunting anymore it's a no-brainer. Plus I'm scratching a 40 year old itch, and I ain't getting any younger.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.