Print Thread
Hop To
M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Does anybody use these? I saw one for sale the other day. Kind clubby looking.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I grew up shooting one. It is bulky in the hands and the safety was hard to use. The triggers are IMO too heavy. The one thing I will say is that for an economy gun, the barrels were well struck. Killed a lot of birds with it. I never could make friends with it's look or feel.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
I grew up shooting one. It is bulky in the hands and the safety was hard to use. The triggers are IMO too heavy. The one thing I will say is that for an economy gun, the barrels were well struck. Killed a lot of birds with it. I never could make friends with it's look or feel.

Yep. I had a 16 ga version for a while. My experience was much the same.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jack O'Conner a devout double fan, referred to them as 2 single shot's welded together.

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I could see that comment being made about them.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They were essentially two “Steelbilt” M37s joined side by side. Economy model making the most use possible of stamped parts.

That said I used a 12ga for a few seasons and it was reliable and fit me well. I had no trouble killing birds with it. The minuses were the trigger guard would slap the piss out of my knuckle every shot and the tiny extractors were a weak point. If I let it get dirty the 1/8” wide extractors didn’t have enough purchase to pull the empties out.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ugly as sin. Might have been designed to make a Model 21 look handsome!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
They were essentially two “Steelbilt” M37s joined side by side. Economy model making the most use possible of stamped parts.

That said I used a 12ga for a few seasons and it was reliable and fit me well. I had no trouble killing birds with it. The minuses were the trigger guard would slap the piss out of my knuckle every shot and the tiny extractors were a weak point. If I let it get dirty the 1/8” wide extractors didn’t have enough purchase to pull the empties out.

Yep. Had the same problem with my 16 ha version.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not two M37s--look at the action. Just made with the same auto mfr technology as the M37, which Win bought from a defunct auto parts mfr.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got my Grandad's 16ga 24. As others have said, svelte isn't a term that springs to mind, but they are "hell for stout".

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had two 24s, a 30" 12 bored F/M and a 16 28" that I added a new 20 26" barrel set to when Numrich's was selling them (16 and 20 barrels interchange on the 24).

The 12 had all the ergonomic appeal of a steel fence post when you were carrying it. But when you threw it up to shoot, it really SHOT! The stock was just plain made for me. The only problem was that you do about a 1000 times as much carrying as you do shooting, at least in upland bird hunting--the gun was just too much gun to carry up and down the Snake River Breaks all day. So I sold it and got the 16 and then added the 20 barrels.

A mistake. The 16 was (almost) light enough and swung perfectly. I killed quite a few birds with it. The 20 set was just not balanced right for me. I missed a lot of birds with it and down the road it went.

The only objection I have to a 24 16 is that they are now overpriced for what they are. I buy guns for what they do and what they cost to do it. The extra premium for a "pre-'64 Winchester" just isn't worth it to me.

But SCGunNut has right; they just don't break!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I've got my Grandad's 16ga 24. As others have said, svelte isn't a term that springs to mind, but they are "hell for stout".

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a 20 ga, my son has a 12 ga. We use mainly for duck hunting. Both have been opened up to take 3" shells...... this is doable because they are built like tanks. I know of one highly sought after custom gun guy.... especially shotguns..... who uses a model 24 12 ga for waterfowl. They shoot, they are built tank tough, and not afraid to take them afield.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mine is a 12 ga 26" M/IMP . I think it great . It is not great in the same way as my Watts , Lefever ,LC Smith or my Sears made gun from the early 1900's or any of the other lighter more streamline built guns . Actually , it really is . It does everything it is asked to do and after all the years I have owned it has never so far given the first minutes trouble . The only thing I would change ( and might ) about it is the pistol grip as I prefer a straight English stock and a splinter rather than the beaver tail forend that it came with .I have shot a ton of #4 baby magnums in it over the years and it's still as tight as it was the day it was made . It's like an ugly woman that cooks great , cleans house, and takes care of all your other needs without complaining , so homely it's beautiful .

PS: I'm new here as of this morning . I'm Eddie and live in Southern Middle Tennessee and North Alabama .I like guns , reloading, chainsaws, motorcycles and fishing. I got 1 Coon Hound , three cats and a pet hog . I am semi retired and live in the country . Own my own places to shoot and hunt. Hope to be amongst y'all for quite a while longer , but we'll see !

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've had a 16 and loved the gum. Sold it to a guy that owned a gunshot. He put it near the ceiling behind the counter. I refinished and replied it before I sold it to him. About 5 years later I asked if he would sell it back but he never would. Said he had several offers but he used it hard on pheasants, rabbits, turkey. Never did get the gun back . Didn't know when he died and the family closed the shop down.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 1947 Model 24 16ga full/mod that I've had for 40 years, bought it from the original owner,don't use it anymore but wouldn't sell it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought one in 16 ga with 26" barrels and IC/Mod chokes. In spite of owning several drillings, I hated SxS guns and especially double triggers but needed it to shoot in a RGS benefit shoot (I was told I could not use a drilling) and the price was right. By the end of the shoot I traded it to a guy that really wanted my gun for his spare 12 ga M24 and some cash.

I've grown to only dislike SxS guns and double triggers and that M24 is still in my possession. I need to replace the extractor springs as it regularly fails to extract fired hulls. I also need to change the pitch as it tends to slide off my shoulder when fired. That was a problem for me with the 16 ga too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.