Campfire Tracker
A

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well this went downhill quickly. Thanks for all of the replies, I am leaning pretty heavily to the 300 Blackout for my first one, maybe a 6.5 after that. I already have the 5.56 so I'm looking for something different to play with. I like the 350 but it's too big for my suppressor. I found a couple 300 BO uppers for reasonable money I can play with this winter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Redleg172
So I have a couple ARs, all in 5.56 and want to explore other calibers in the platform.

I absolutely want an off-the-shelf complete upper, not in to custom at this point.

I have a .30 caliber suppressor so want a suppressor friendly round of .30 or less.

Brass or ammo should be semi-available. Not interested in a bunch of fire forming or creating oddball cartridges.

AR (5.56) magazines would be a plus.

Should be suitable for home defense and medium game. Mostly within 100m, but 200-250m would be nice.

I know there are a lot of rounds released over the last ten years and I haven't really been paying attention but wonder what the gurus here recommend.

TIA

Anything bigger than 22 if you don't have neighbors.
A lot of calibers penetrate sheet rock. One consideration of several. More information needed to narrow down.
I would consider 9mm for home defense, but not white tail.
There's lots of options.
Grendel has harvested a lot of deer, but so have many others.

Crappy Hamper giving AR advice? LMAO laugh laugh laugh
Here's the sum total of Crappy's AR experience.
Crappy figures if he's watched a YouTube video he's qualified to give advice.

6/30/20 - (HC finds that an AR15 is too much for him to handle)
"I was told many moons ago that I shouldn't get an AR.
I was told that you can't put them in the mud and expect them to run like you can an AK.

Another did me the favor of letting me shoot his.
I'm plinking away, and after a magazine or two I'm wondering why my trigger finger is sore? That's never happened before.....
He told me that I must not be using it right.

Ok then, show me how it's done.

After seeing my trigger pulling technique was kosher, he said it's just something that I have to get used to.
I never got one to see if I could get used to trigger slap."

Hold into the trigger slap. laugh

NVhntrBiden,

Just like always, you can't speak the truth even if it was in your best interest.
Anybody who read my full post in the context of the original thread knows that I refered to the lousy AK trigger as opposed to the AR trigger. Anyone who ever shot them knows you are just a lying piece of work attempting to discredit those you obsess over. Get lost you mangy dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
You can get frangible 223, it'll still penetrate body armor at close range, just keep firing until you get the results you want. Watched a demo on this at Thunder Ranch, when Clint was making a point about frangible ammo is still a problem if you're wearing body armor.

God knows what it'll do on a headshot, but safe to say the headache won't last long on the receiving end.

Anyone mentioned suppressors? Shooting unsuppressed indoors is NOT for the faint of heart, or for people who need to hear for a livin.

And did I mention the 55 grain Hornady SP for deer?

A lot of calibers penetrate sheet rock. One consideration of several. More information needed to narrow down.
There's lots of options.

Good point on hearing protection.
If someone has a suppressor, I think that their home defense weapon would be the place to put it. I use electronic ear muffs.
Peltor is my current brand. The price was good, they're comfortable if they are removed periodically while in the stand. The company was nice enough to replace the circuit to boost the volume for me.

As to 22 caliber varieties, I've never used them for deer.
Someone told me they took some down humanely with a neck shot. What range is that 55 grain good to?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC
I took an antelope at 238 yds with the Grendel. I don't have a 6.8SPC, but do have a 30 HRT and I like the case (6.8 necked to 30 cal)

Both will kill 2 legged critters too, but yes, it might be the last thing you hear.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So I have a couple ARs, all in 5.56 and want to explore other calibers in the platform.

I absolutely want an off-the-shelf complete upper, not in to custom at this point.

I have a .30 caliber suppressor so want a suppressor friendly round of .30 or less.

Brass or ammo should be semi-available. Not interested in a bunch of fire forming or creating oddball cartridges.

Should be suitable for home defense and medium game. Mostly within 100m, but 200-250m would be nice.

I know there are a lot of rounds released over the last ten years and I haven't really been paying attention but wonder what the gurus here recommend.

TIA

There's lots of options.

I was told that you can't put them in the mud and expect them to run like you can an AK.

I'm plinking away, and after a magazine or two I'm wondering why my trigger finger is sore? That's never happened before.....

After seeing my trigger pulling technique was kosher, he said it's just something that I have to get used to.

NVhntrBiden,

Just like always, you can't speak the truth even if it was in your best interest.
Anybody who read my full post in the context of the original thread knows that I refered to the lousy AK trigger as opposed to the AR trigger. Anyone who ever shot them knows you are just a lying piece of work attempting to discredit those you obsess over. Get lost you mangy dog.

The date of your post is right there with the quote. Anyone interested can find it for themselves.
Let's see a picture of your AR or AK.
Truth is you couldn't afford either one.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the 6.8SPC about the best.
I have made and owned a few 6.5Gs too, and I killed several deer and antelope with the 6.5s, but the 6.8 does a better job under 250 yards. I killed 7 game animals with my 6.5Gs and I have killed 34 with my 6.8s. So the test is lopsided and I admit that, but I just came to love how well the 6.8 puts deer and antelope down.

I have no love for the 300 Blackout. I'd prefer a standard AK47 to the BO myself.

Last edited by szihn; 09/17/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
300 Body Odor only makes sense if you want subsonic. If no subsonic then 7.62x39 in an AR built to run it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

TIA

There's lots of options.

NVhntrBiden,

The date of your post is right there with the quote. Anyone interested can find it for themselves.
Let's see a picture of your AR or AK.
Truth is you couldn't afford either one.

The truth is that anyone who has ever shot a communist block AK knows what the trigger is like. They aren't exactly a Geissele dmr.
The truth is I don't post pictures of myself, family or personal property because there are too many wicked thieves and dishonorable unmentionables.
The truth is, it's none of your business how much money I have or what I own, so quit asking.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/17/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The truth is you are a pathological liar.

I'd be happy to put up another batch of your posts proving such.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
A 5.56 pmag or MFT will hold a several rounds of Grendel without issue. That's what we do. It's a snug rattle free fit in the lower because sides of the mag bow out slightly. Been killing deer like that for a few years now

The 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout and 350 Legend are the most widely chambered. The Grendel is the ballistic frontrunner. Think much flatter shooting 30/30 performance on game.

Just about everyone makes Grendel uppers. You can swap a 223 over with barrel and bolt changes only.

Maybe you forgot all the 6.8's out there, just in TX. Same same with barrel and bolt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Homeowner: “Hold on a second and let me put my hearing protection on before you come any closer , Mr intruder”

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in the 7.62 x 39 ar...do you have to change magazines in addition to the upper and bcg?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
I'm interested in the 7.62 x 39 ar...do you have to change magazines in addition to the upper and bcg?

The parts you need to change,

- Bolt (I picked up entire BCG, but just a bolt swap will do.)

- Enhanced firing pin (To ensure consistent ignition on hard and deep set primers in the milsurp/steel case ammo)

- Barrel (or complete upper)

- Magazine (C-Products DuraMag, AR-Stoner, and ASC Magazines have all worked for me)

I've got three uppers in 7.62x39 at the moment. A 20", 16", and 10.5". They all run just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
223/5/56 with 65 gr. Gamekings will do all you need.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While the Grendel works ok for both I opt for the 6.8, have had both and the 6.8 is better for my use in a 16" bbl, the 6.5 is weak from that bbl length.
My hunting AR is 31" collapsed which makes it very handy to get around with.
very accurate and stomps Mr. deer at practical distances.

Never had a sore trigger finger from any AR I've ever shot?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never did either.
My comment was obviously about the lousy AK trigger.
Read again...A K as in Kalashnikov.

As to the inventor of the Grendel, Bill produced an 18" hunter model. His original idea was to get a contract to convert the M4s to his caliber. You are certainly giving up velocity per inch, but not as much as will effect reasonable hunting distances.
For a designated hunter an 18-22" unthreaded barrel would be fine. If weight or brush were an issue, I'd go with the standard M4 configuration. Bill went with an 18" fluted lightweight version dipped in a sweet kryptek honeyglaze for the magazine circuit. I forget the weight, but it's built for carry.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/20/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
6x45 or .300 HAMR.

I dont think the 6x45 falls within the ops parameters, but it's a hell of a nice cartridge. I wonder why they haven't commercialized it yet. Its been around since 1965.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
77 & 80gr SMK killed the 6x45.

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Really looking into the 6.5 Grendel concept.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.