Campfire Ranger
O
Who has/had any experience with one ?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nothing but what I hear about Big Woods Bucks. Those fellas seem to love them. The weight of them seems slick as well if you're carrying one around for anytime in the woods or up on the mountain.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They look very handy. No idea whatsoever about long-term durability, accuracy, etc. In general, all the inlines I’ve owned and messed with have shot well. The differences have been in convenience, weight, stocks, etc. I see no particular reason to spend a big wad just to hunt for a week or so, but some just like nice stuff. If you’re limited to or choose to limit yourself to iron sights, a sidelock is just as effective and easy to shoot well. They can be hard to find at bargain prices now.

We only get a week here, and that after a month and a half of archery, antlerless, and firearms seasons, so just seeing a deer on public land can be tough. Later, in January, we get a true primitive season for sidelocks with irons and stickbows. One deer, one bear, and a turkey may be taken, subject to limits on total bucks. It was pretty warm last time, so the day hikers and dog walkers were out in force, and with COVID, lots of people were off work and out of school. This year should be a bit better.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nothing but what I hear about Big Woods Bucks. Those fellas seem to love them. The weight of them seems slick as well if you're carrying one around for anytime in the woods or up on the mountain.

They look to be well designed and are for sure light. 5.5 lbs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their list of options is impressive: sights, stocks, etc. I’m well-fixed for the opportunities I have, but it’s a nice system.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Their list of options is impressive: sights, stocks, etc. I’m well-fixed for the opportunities I have, but it’s a nice system.

I will give them a call tomorrow and ask some more questions. Only thing I would worry about is parts availability in the future . I like everything about them , the stock pistol grip is a little overdone but the would be about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get an extra breechplug or two, or anything else you can imagine losing. The plugs should be good for 500-750 shots, according to what other companies have told me.

I like my Knight UL, but these are a bit lighter, and break-actions are easier to clean and clear whoopsies from. The extra barrels are nice too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one and I love it. It is light ,easy to clean, easy to shoot and very accurate. I am getting 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Because of its breech design if you use remington 209 primers there is no smoke or powder residue around the breech. The most important thing is to keep the breech plug clean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, Oldelkhunter, did you buy a Patriot?

I'm in the market for a new ML myself, and they are on the short list.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skeen
Hey, Oldelkhunter, did you buy a Patriot?

I'm in the market for a new ML myself, and they are on the short list.

Nope not yet, its between that and a CVA paramount. If I can go to Iowa for late muzzleloader I better get going.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Being as they are made from SS then Nitrided they should be tough as nails.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Knight is nitride over SS and it’s a big improvement over the Dyna Bore Coat they use. Wish more gunmakers offered that option.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same here. My UML is SS. If I ever got around to it I’d like to have it coated as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That weight is the reason I'm really leaning that direction. My Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader shoots lights out, but man, I'm tired of dragging 10 lbs. around.

I'm out on CVA's Paramount too because of the weight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That weight is the reason I'm really leaning that direction. My Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader shoots lights out, but man, I'm tired of dragging 10 lbs. around.

I'm out on CVA's Paramount too because of the weight.

Amen there. I put mine in a McMillan and it’s still 9 pounds as if hunts. A lighter rifle for walking around would be real nice.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I’d known about these, I might’ve opted for one over the Knight, just for the ease of cleaning. Since I’m already invested in the UL, I’ll probably stick with it. We only get a week of ML, and that after the archery and rifle seasons, so even seeing a deer is tough by the time our ML season happens. Like my crossbow, the Knight is a good, efficient tool, but not a lot of fun to shoot. My musket is a blast by comparison.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lots of people in the north country love them. If it had a tang safety rather than the trigger guard safety, I’d own one.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just ordered one a few weeks ago. I went to the shop where they make them to hold one and check it out. I was very very impressed. It going to take around 20 weeks they are saying. I’ll have it in plenty of time before the season starts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Deercamp
I just ordered one a few weeks ago. I went to the shop where they make them to hold one and check it out. I was very very impressed. It going to take around 20 weeks they are saying. I’ll have it in plenty of time before the season starts.

Man, I’m sorta tempted myself.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The owner Mark said on a podcast that you could throw it in the ocean for ten years and pull it out and there would be no rust. That was one of his major goals building it that it would not rust. I think that you’d be very pleased with it if you bought one. I was sold the second I picked it up and shouldered it. That was part of the reason that I went up there.
I think you’d be impressed with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.