Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I see 1960's Smith and Wesson revolvers in .38 Special listed for sale on another website as "Curio and Relic" eligible. Yeah its 50 yrs old but it shoots a cartridge that is still available, sort of. What is going on?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Cartridge has nothing to do with the qualification criteria. Period.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What IS the qualification criteria - just for my information?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
What IS the qualification criteria - just for my information?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-firearms-are-considered-be-curio-and-relic-firearms

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Easily googled, which will send you directly to ATF website where it is condensed into three sentences. Basically...50 yrs old, or commonly acknowledged to be collectible and/or derives a good portion of it's value from collectibility and collectible for reasons of association with an historical event, persons, or time period. All three criteria need not be met, one of the three is sufficient.
Example, if Gen Mark Milley wanted to sell me a current issue Chinese Army pistol...it would qualify as C&R, because he is famous...so it need not be 50 yrs old, or commonly found in museum collections.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks, guys.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Also in many states a curio and relic firearms can be shipped directly to your house if you have a CR license

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Related question.

When a C&R holder lets their license expire, what's the record keeping requirement for their C&R purchases into and out of their collection? Suppose to send in? Keep for X years?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
So a friends 1967 western marshall, 1951 99, 1923 remington, 1968 Mk 1, 1971 cap n ball qualify?

Maybe his RG 57 and enfield that was butchered in the 60s?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Also in many states a curio and relic firearms can be shipped directly to your house if you have a CR license

Are there states that deny this? That is the point of a C&R.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Easily googled, which will send you directly to ATF website where it is condensed into three sentences. Basically...50 yrs old, or commonly acknowledged to be collectible and/or derives a good portion of it's value from collectibility and collectible for reasons of association with an historical event, persons, or time period. All three criteria need not be met, one of the three is sufficient.
Example, if Gen Mark Milley wanted to sell me a current issue Chinese Army pistol...it would qualify as C&R, because he is famous...so it need not be 50 yrs old, or commonly found in museum collections.

You win todays innanet. 🤣

"White Rage" Model can be attributed to any Milley-sourced commie chink pistol, therefore upping the price.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Once you are unlicensed, you have no further responsibility to store the records. But...the big but...nobody, I mean nobody, can find that statement in ATF Regs. That is commonly repeated on the strength of a letter from an ATF to the question of a former C&R license holder...and has been repeated.
Unfortunately, in my case, the records were destroyed in a recent flood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kennyd
So a friends 1967 western marshall, 1951 99, 1923 remington, 1968 Mk 1, 1971 cap n ball qualify?

Maybe his RG 57 and enfield that was butchered in the 60s?

Yes, all. The RG 57 and Enfield may have issues as they were altered.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Are there states that deny this? That is the point of a C&R.

Yes...mine for one

She's gone shootin..
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Certifiable, A licensee may receive an eligible firearm from out of state. It is your responsibility to file a CA 4100A. You must file a BOF961 in-state...this one is a claymore mine, be ultra cautious and go through a dealer so it is in DOJ electronic system.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Once you are unlicensed, you have no further responsibility to store the records. But...the big but...nobody, I mean nobody, can find that statement in ATF Regs. That is commonly repeated on the strength of a letter from an ATF to the question of a former C&R license holder...and has been repeated.
Unfortunately, in my case, the records were destroyed in a recent flood.

Thanks. Sadly mine too were destroyed, by ground squirrels in my storage building while I was out of the area for 7 weeks in 2017...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Certifiable, A licensee may receive an eligible firearm from out of state. It is your responsibility to file a CA 4100A. You must file a BOF961 in-state...this one is a claymore mine, be ultra cautious and go through a dealer so it is in DOJ electronic system.

Flint... I think we’re talking about different avenues? I have never purchased from out of state then brought a CR in to CA myself, and is my understanding that’s where the 4100A applies.
Buying from out of state (online) and having the CR shipped in goes thru my ffl as per usual.

There are advantages here for having a CR license in conjunction with a COE.. but that’s a different topic

She's gone shootin..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.