Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
in my lever rifles and revolvers, I only shoot hardcast. I don't shoot them much, but need to get more.

I used to buy my projectiles from Beartooth, but the last order I placed was nearly a year ago, and I still haven't seen the bullets.

I understand Cast Performance is backlogged as well. Same for Leadhead (never ordered from either of those).

Can any of you recommend a provider for 38 cal (.357 Mag) in a ~185 gr FNGC's? thanks in advance.

I realize this forum is for the casting group, but I figure yall are more likely to have an answer than other forums. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sound of silence, hey? Why do you think that might be?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
one of the fine fellows on this forum has offered to make me some. 180gr WNGC's. they look very similar to the ones I used to buy from Beartooth.

thanks

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Have you tried putting your wanted ad on the Cast Boolits website ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Yes! Montana Bullet Works. Just a few weeks back I contacted Bruce with an unusual issue and Bruce took care of me. The bullets he sent me are beautiful, excellent and accurate!!!

Alan

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don’t know about ordering since I pour my own. Have heard good things about Montana bullets. I’d try calling first and make sure they have what you need.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I received my Montana Bullet Works order within 2 weeks of ordering. Bruce had to special order/cast mine.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The term "hardcast" and ''hunting projectiles'' are not really compatible. Anything much over 15 or 16 Bhn is getting into the area of brittle, likely fragmenting at higher velocities. Below say 15 Bhn and softer, then we are talking a soft ductile bullet that holds together well. Millions of buffalo were killed with Bhn 10 or so.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My shed. I cast em hard enough they can't be fingernail scratched. Good enough for a gas check

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The term "hardcast" and ''hunting projectiles'' are not really compatible. Anything much over 15 or 16 Bhn is getting into the area of brittle, likely fragmenting at higher velocities. Below say 15 Bhn and softer, then we are talking a soft ductile bullet that holds together well. Millions of buffalo were killed with Bhn 10 or so.

Fragmenting depends on the antimonial content, nose and impact speed.

Wheelweight metal has the same attributes under 15 BHN as it does up to as hard as they can be heat treated, which can exceed 30 BHN, the "reaction" is also similarly dependent on what is posted above, as it is for any lead alloy.

High antimonial alloys fragment in large, non- ductile pieces; wheelweight and similar alloys are not high in antimony.
Softer bullets don't always hold together well either. It all depends on my first sentence.

The 357 Magnum (or even a 357 Maximum or 35 Whelen) is not going give any problems in the hunting field cast hard with the correct alloy for its intended purpose.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Fragmenting depends on the antimonial content, nose and impact speed.

Wheelweight metal has the same attributes under 15 BHN as it does up to as hard as they can be heat treated, which can exceed 30 BHN, the "reaction" is also similarly dependent on what is posted above, as it is for any lead alloy.

High antimonial alloys fragment in large, non- ductile pieces; wheelweight and similar alloys are not high in antimony.
Softer bullets don't always hold together well either. It all depends on my first sentence.

The 357 Magnum (or even a 357 Maximum or 35 Whelen) is not going give any problems in the hunting field cast hard with the correct alloy for its intended purpose.

Yep. And I seriously doubt you could push a hard cast bullet fast enough from a 357 mag in a Revolver or Lever Gun To fragment.
I’ve pushed a 180 gr WNFP Hard Cast bullet as fast as you could with a max load of WW-296 and never ever had one come apart. That’s with a bhn of 18.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/10/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pure lead launched at 1600 fps. Dead deer 80 yards out there. Retained weight was ballpark 295 gr.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hard cast is a bizarre concept that mostly serves to keep shipped bullets from getting dinged up in transit.

.30 cal 180 grains into soft sand. BHN 8-9 range. Retained weight 179gr.

There be a reason or three why some folks start casting their own.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great shooting their DD. I have found my cast handgun bullets to usually be substantially more accurate than most jacketed bullets. And I’ve killed a ton of hogs with them too.
Along with quite a few deer and varmints.
The great thing about hard cast bullets is they tend not to lead the Bore like pure lead bullets do.
Guess I’m just too damn lazy to scrub lead out of my barrels. 😬

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/11/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My experience has differed somewhat. In years gone by I experienced leading with cast bullets I'd purchased (hard cast). These days I kneel before his majesty of the realm, King Fit. Over the course of the last 15 years or so I've experienced leading but one time, that from a harder alloy than I'd previously shot with the .30 Sneezer. The King says things must fit. His wife the Queen demands the alloy hardness be appropriate to the peak pressure. Multiply alloy BHN by 1422 and you will find the pressure required to obturate the bullet properly, thus telling the leading devil to kiss your backside.

I shoot pure in my muzzle loaders, BHN 6-7 in BP cartridge guns, BHN 9 in the Sneezer and my .22 CF toy w/o issues. BHN 11-12 (roughly wheel weight equivalent) in my .30-30 at velocities up to the neighborhood of 2150 fps. I have also used some Lyman #2 alloy in a .22 K-Hornet with success.

100 yards .22 K-Hornet cast bullets - zero leading, velocity in the 2700 fps realm.

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
DD is correct; you can get leading with hard cast, pure lead, whatever.

22 rimfire bullets aren't "hard" by any stretch, yet many rifles and handguns drive tacks, even cheap ones.

Fit, finish, pressure and lube determine much success.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
King Fit. Queen Obturation. Love it. And correct of course.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When I was shooting cast bullet comp in the 80's with Elmer Shook, we used pure linotype, water quenched, heat treated, with gas checks. 308 Winchester caliber and Hart SS Barrels we shot cast bullets in never saw a copper jacket bullet...never.

Undersize bullets will deposit a lot of lead vapor in the barrel, and a .0005-.0015 is a very good thing on the bullet dia.over size...know the bore dia of your barrel.

Cleaning with bronze bristle brushes with FINE Bronze wool wound in the bristles is needed from time to time to remove the lead.

For commercial vendor, check out GT bullets in Ga. George is an avid cast bullet shooter in pistols and rilfes and will alter his mix and sizing Dia for your needs.

I ordered George's HP with a soft alloy mix in the

9mm 130g hp- expanded to 69 caliber

40g-180g HP expanded to 85 caliber

45 200g hp expanded to 95 caliber

http://www.gtbullets.com/

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Billy Goat,
I can help you get the bullets you desire. PM me if you're still looking.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.