Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The 358 Winchester is gonna get real popular there.

GB1

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
On the other hand with the advent of super muzzleloaders using shotgun primers, smokeless powder, scopes, and high BC bullets. I wish my state would either go back to primitive style muzzleloaders, allow us to use a handgun even and preferably straight wall only, or do away with the whole “primitive” season and just let us shoot our two bucks with a rifle. I’m the only guy I know who still hunts with a sidelock using loose powder and lead bullets.

"Muzzeloader season" is now just a euphemism for single shot rifle season. I hunted a lot with a muzzleloader during regular deer season back when there were no inline, shotgun primer, scoped, stainless "muzzleloaders" that now have a special season. If you are being granted a special season for a primitive weapon then the weapon should actually be a replica of a primitive weapon.

I feel the same way about crossbows in archery season. If you want to claim you crossbow is primitive then maybe it should only have sights and limb technology available when firearms superseded crossbows historically.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years back, WI. had a shotgun only zone encompassing much of the southern part of the state. Then somebody looked at the statistics of accidents and found that they were actually higher in the shotgun only zones. WI. is now rifles allowed statewide.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by HawkI
Can now hunt in Shotgun 1 and 2 seasons with a 35 Whelen, 375 HH, 416 Rigby....

Rifles above .350 diameter exceeding 500 ft. lbs. of energy.

The DNR wasn't a big supporter, but laws are laws and regs are regs; I'm happy they saw the light.

I just hope everyone is safe and enjoys some of the fruits of having more firearm options this deer season.

Oh wow, that's really cool! I had no idea you could hunt with rifles that didn't use straight-wall cartridges any more.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a young lad in our Wisconsin deer camp who heard about the Iowa deer hunting change and wants to take his .350 Legend over there.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ok, so I went all celebratory over the weekend and bought my self a real HawkenHammer, an ‘80’s vintage 99A in 358 Winner.

I would still have liked to have been in the room listening to the DNR’s advice on cartridge regulations —“heck Al, I’m going to set up on that high spot in your been field with my Barret 50 BMG.” 😉

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
That one will do!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shotguns have gotten better, but still nauseating to be forced to use.

Always thought the same thing in the southern zone here until they allowed certain rifles to be used. Good news for Iowa. Hopefully both can change their feel good firearm laws in these areas even further.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
500 ft lbs at the muzzle? Doesn’t the 357 magnum do that? Sounds like everything 35 caliber is on the table.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
George. U spent some doughy for s 99a in 358. I'm shooting my 7600 whelen gitty up

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RUGER 77/357...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

... w/ 158-180 gr. XTP.

GR

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What is the reason for all these goofy restrictions?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28

IOWA = Idiots Out Wandering Around

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't know about IA, but in the southern part of MI it was the feel good law in the higher populated south, it was safer to use limited range shotguns or muzzleloaders rather than centerfire rifles. It's now a limited firearms zone you can use a straight wall cartridge case no longer than 1.8", 35 caliber and above. It's all bullchit, esp since several years ago PA did a study that debunked the safer myth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't know about IA, but in the southern part of MI it was the feel good law in the higher populated south. They said it was safer to use limited range shotguns or muzzleloaders rather than centerfire rifles. It's now a limited firearms zone you can use a straight wall cartridge case no longer than 1.8", 35 caliber and above. It's all bullchit, esp since several years ago PA did a study that debunked the safer myth.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So the cartridge law in Iowa has no limit for straight wall only calibers? Not limited to single shot?

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
See p 38 of Iowa regs...
RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type
bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than
.350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch
and with a published or calculated muzzle energy
of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting
deer during the youth and disabled hunting season
and first and second shotgun seasons.
The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality. Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above
are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen
.350 Legend
.358 Winchester
.375 Winchester
.40 S&W
.44 Magnum
.444 Marlin
.45 Long Colt
.45 Raptor
.450 Bushmaster
.450 Marlin
.45-70 Govt
.460 S&W
.500 S&

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Can now hunt in Shotgun 1 and 2 seasons with a 35 Whelen, 375 HH, 416 Rigby....

Rifles above .350 diameter exceeding 500 ft. lbs. of energy.

Damn, I just built a .375 WSM and it wasn't even for this. Be about perfect...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
See p 38 of Iowa regs...
RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type
bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than
.350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch
and with a published or calculated muzzle energy
of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting
deer during the youth and disabled hunting season
and first and second shotgun seasons.
The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality. Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above
are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen
.350 Legend
.358 Winchester
.375 Winchester
.40 S&W
.44 Magnum
.444 Marlin
.45 Long Colt
.45 Raptor
.450 Bushmaster
.450 Marlin
.45-70 Govt
.460 S&W
.500 S&

Yep, you can try hit that doe in the bean field from a mile away with your 416 Barrett, but your neighbor can’t legally hunt his river bottom with his 30/30. Brilliant!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tcp
Originally Posted by TheKid
On the other hand with the advent of super muzzleloaders using shotgun primers, smokeless powder, scopes, and high BC bullets. I wish my state would either go back to primitive style muzzleloaders, allow us to use a handgun even and preferably straight wall only, or do away with the whole “primitive” season and just let us shoot our two bucks with a rifle. I’m the only guy I know who still hunts with a sidelock using loose powder and lead bullets.

"Muzzeloader season" is now just a euphemism for single shot rifle season. I hunted a lot with a muzzleloader during regular deer season back when there were no inline, shotgun primer, scoped, stainless "muzzleloaders" that now have a special season. If you are being granted a special season for a primitive weapon then the weapon should actually be a replica of a primitive weapon.

I feel the same way about crossbows in archery season. If you want to claim you crossbow is primitive then maybe it should only have sights and limb technology available when firearms superseded crossbows historically.

Literally, as I can (and do) legally use a .357 Maximum barrel on my TC Encore for late muzzleloader season, as pistols are legal for this season as well. My gun is technically a pistol, but with an 18" barrel, it's more like a hand rifle.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.