Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I’m curious if you ran with the OEM grips, or replaced them.

I suppose it depends on how much you use your handguns. Everyone’s hands are different. I recently bought some Pachmayr Grippers for a newly purchased Model 66.

When I was in the service, a guy I worked with replaced the grips and a few other things on a military Browning Hi-Power. He then marked it in the lock up and declared it “my property”. He had paws not hands though, so there was no danger of it being “borrowed”. 😀

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

All my revolvers, except my Ruger SRH.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
2 out of 3 1911's to a dark, double diamond, and most of my revolvers (almost all S&W) have Altamonts- except for an SP101 that I've since sold that I changed to a Hogue wood. So.. most of them. The more utilitarian semiautos have factory grips.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder if anyone has ever done a survey here about material preferences. Wood, rubber or a mix?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I wonder if anyone has ever done a survey here about material preferences. Wood, rubber or a mix?

Ivory, stag, mother of pearl.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It all depends on the grips. Ruger SA wooden grips and S&W K and L frame target grips stay on. Blued J frame service grips used to get switched for the target grips but those are so expensive these days I use a BK grip adapter now.

Have tried Pachmayrs in the past on multiple handguns - Ruger Mk II, Ruger Blackhawk and SBH, various mid-size DA revolver like Smith K frames and Ruger Security Sixes but always end up taking them off. Only ones that stayed on were their Compac grips for a Smith Model 63 and now a Model 60-4.

Can't stand Hogues since they put the bore axis so far above my hand but am certainly in the minority there since they seem to be very popular otherwise.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It all depends on the grips. Ruger SA wooden grips and S&W K and L frame target grips stay on. Blued J frame service grips used to get switched for the target grips but those are so expensive these days I use a BK grip adapter now.

Have tried Pachmayrs in the past on multiple handguns - Ruger Mk II, Ruger Blackhawk and SBH, various mid-size DA revolver like Smith K frames and Ruger Security Sixes but always end up taking them off. Only ones that stayed on were their Compac grips for a Smith Model 63 and now a Model 60-4.

Can't stand Hogues since they put the bore axis so far above my hand but am certainly in the minority there since they seem to be very popular otherwise.

I'm with you on the Hogues. I don't care for the finger grooves, but I really dislike the low grip position, which places the bore axis higher in the hand, as you said, and I also don't care for the excessive overall length of the grip.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Almost of mine carry replacements and the majority wood. Many of the Smith's carry Herrett's coco bolos that CDNN was purging cheap some year ago. They feel proper for me, more Coke like. Driven by the value of original Smith stocks... I, too, have no use for finger grips so I have both Ahrends and Culina's to fill that gap as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Replace most of them.

I like Eagles for most applications when they are an option. I've been using them for over 40 years and since they fit me as well or better than any that I've tried, I keep buying them.

Rossi made larger "target" grips for their medium frame DA revolvers that I use on 511s, 515s, 518s, 720s, and 971s.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of my handguns have after market grips. My S&W M63 has wood Hogue grips and the rest are synthetic.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
N frames, Python and 1911s get Hogue rubber.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I changed em' all for dress up.

I have a couple Ruger Blackhawks that have factory stocks, but they're different that what they came with.

I have a S&W 19 that came with big target stocks. I ditched them after purchase. Traded them off. Then aquired a new/used set a few years ago and put them on. It was my first DA revolver. The big stocks have nostalgic value for me now.

One gun has goodyears. Its all business.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yes for some, no with others. Most of my grip changes were to help mitigate felt recoil on my magnum revolvers. The exception to the previous sentence is my S&W 460 XVR......simply the most comfortable grips that I’ve ever used! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have 4.62" SuperBlackhawk that I changed the grips on. The OEM grips were on the small side and the revolver was borderline uncomfortable to fire with proper .44 Mag loads.

Someone, I forget who, told me about a company called Texas Grips, a pair of their extended grips changed the whole nature of shooting this revolver. The grips are a little bigger and my pinky ain't hanging off the end of the grip.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most, but not all. Those stock Hogue rubber ones on my 629 made that tolerable. The Herrett full size gave my 34 J-frame something to hang on to. The only ones that I regretted buying were some rosewood grips for my 1911 Para P12. One side split right down the middle grain pattern from recoil on the first outing. Rubber wrap around finger groove grips solved that problem.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have several sets of original targets that came from Smith M57s, 27-2s and 29-2s that I cut down to fit my hand. Still like them and use them, but don’t think I’d do that to a nice set today.

As for replacement stocks for S&W revolvers, I have a couple pairs from John Culina (aka Kurac) that are very nice.

I do like the original K frame target stocks, and have them on my K and L frames. Back when I was really trying to like Colt Pythons, whose factory grips shape is horrible to me, I bought a set of Herrett’s Shooting Star grips, put them on a diet with a wood rasp, and they were much better than the factory Colt grips. Just couldn’t find enough love to keep the Pythons, but I kept the grips.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I guess since we're showing pix, I can add mine. I like Pachmayr. This model fits my hand and puts the sights where they need to be. I am sure that other companies make grips that would work, but I have only tried a few.

I have only fired the Bulldog three times with the new grips, but it feels and shoots much better than the OEM with me. These are all personal choices, of course.

One of the other problems I had with the Bulldog was rectified with an acrylic pen. The front sight is hard to see. This made it easier to see.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My 1911s all have VZ grips, SIGs have Hogue G10 or OEM E2 grips, Hi-Power has Hogue walnut.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm over 6 feet tall but I have relatively small hands. I guess that's why I prefer factory grips on the handguns I collect/shoot: mostly pre-war Colt/Smith revolvers, and post-war K-22&38. As for 1911's, again I much prefer factory/gov't grips (or equivalent in an exotic material), and flat mainspring housings vs. arched- again because of my small hands.

One pre-war gun that stymied me was the Colt New Service. I love the guns but can't wrangle them without a grip filler to take up that mile wide gap between the grip and trigger guard.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Something I recently discovered. Some grips for the 1911 government provide better protection for the plunger tube than others.

Maybe an important consideration. Especially for anyone that's unexpectedly found theirs to be loose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I'm with you on the Hogues. I don't care for the finger grooves, but I really dislike the low grip position, which places the bore axis higher in the hand, as you said, and I also don't care for the excessive overall length of the grip.

You didn't notice that Hogue makes more than one style of grip? Some without finger grooves?

Some I change and some I don't. The factory grips on SP101s are clever, but they don't fit my hand. The GP100 MC grips are perfection though. I change grips on the 1911 because......I can. On the HiPower, because.....seriously, does anybody need to ask? The model 60as came with perfect grips, but every model 19 I've held did not. Target grips with thumb rest found their way onto the Ruger MKIII.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The reg Smith target N frame wood grips I like.
But Hogue rubber keeps the .44 mags from sliding around, better shot recovery.
Do get abraded til the hide toughens up.

Hogue slabs on 1911s.

Ruger SBH wear reg factory. I have several sets of new rosewood for Ruger SA, but they look like crap on the old brass dragoon frame. The orig walnut has shrunk, so Ill need to epoxy fill the gap at front.

If I score a NM 4 5/8 .357 Ill be swapping the frame to SBH dragoon.

Id be happy w a jet black synth grip w medallions.
Dont want bowling ball swirl.
For the old model .44 and a new model
357 w sbh frame.

Not found any yet.

If i had some glass filled polyester scales id make my friggin own

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bought them this way and would not consider looking for a set of original stocks.

Last edited by Sbrown; 09/22/21.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On my G-19

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And my Kimber 1911

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 648 6" came w those finger groove grips.
Pinky hated em, gave to a bud. Slapped Hogues on it, mucho bettero.

Was a good close range chuck popper and worked well for IHMSA FP class

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have 4.62" SuperBlackhawk that I changed the grips on. The OEM grips were on the small side and the revolver was borderline uncomfortable to fire with proper .44 Mag loads.

Someone, I forget who, told me about a company called Texas Grips, a pair of their extended grips changed the whole nature of shooting this revolver. The grips are a little bigger and my pinky ain't hanging off the end of the grip.

I like those. I have stock grips on my 5.5" SS. I've feel like I have to grip it so high that the trigger guard cuts into my middle finger knuckle. I hate shooting it with my pinky underneath the grip. A dozen rounds at the range and finger is literally bleeding. But I can't bring myself to put Hoques on a Super Blackhawk.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/03/21.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
These Hogue rubber stocks work great...ugly, but functional.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like the Texas grips. The factory plow handle grips don’t get for me. Nothing to hang on to.

Last edited by OldRooster; 10/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Replaced the OEM Blackhawk grips

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

using a Bisley grip frame (plus hammer and trigger) from Brownells.

Every day’s an adventure.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It purely depends on the fit, but some guns I prefer the factory grips, such as the old wood grips on Redhawks and certain eras of K Frames, others, need replacing.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I suppose it depends on how much you use your handguns. Everyone’s hands are different. I recently bought some Pachmayr Grippers for a newly purchased Model 66.

When I was in the service, a guy I worked with replaced the grips and a few other things on a military Browning Hi-Power. He then marked it in the lock up and declared it “my property”. He had paws not hands though, so there was no danger of it being “borrowed”. 😀

In general I like Hogue grips on DA revolvers. Wood and checkered on guns with moderate recoil, rubber on the harder kickers.

Auto grips, mostly 1911's is a whole thread into itself smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a thing for Ivory

[Linked Image]

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I have a thing for Ivory

[Linked Image]

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
These work (and look) pretty good.
Bob

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just one - my Ruger MK-II Gov't model slabside pistol.. Obtained a set of Eagle dedicated LH finger grooves and it made a world of difference in being very comfy to hold and shoot..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In my OEM parts bin there are a number of factory magna and service stocks for various Smiths. They're in carefully labeled plastic bags so they can return to the revolver they belong to if it's ever sold. Eagle Heritage are my preferred replacement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.