Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm looking for a average sized, comfortable daypack. Most of my hunting is on the ranch in Oklahoma and I'm not too far from the house should something go exceedingly wrong. I will have a Wyoming Pronghorn hunt in early October but I don't have any big needs. What do you experienced guys recommend?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Badlands Super Day is worth looking at.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Or anything from Kifaru or Mystery Ranch. I currently use a Kifaru Shape Charge. I find it about perfect for a dedicated day pack. I also have a MR Scapegoat 25 that I'm going to sell. I like it alot but the Shape Charge is more betterer.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kifaru Antero

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If it is not to be a meat hauler then there are lots of good options. The choice for me comes down to how much, and which, crap I'm dragging into the woods with me on any given day. There's no one right answer.

My current selection is an Eberlestock H3 "Sawed Off", a The North Face "Recon", a 5.11 Tactical Rush 24, and a Granite Gear Virga 26. All are good in their role. Another I no longer have but liked is the Kelty Redwing 32 ... I think the current 36 should be a consideration.

Somewhat like the Granite Gear Virga 26, a TNF "Terra 35", if you can find one, is a good "sack with straps" ... will handle a significant load of water pretty well if you need that. Very good load bearing suspension for a small bag IMHO.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check to see if Sierra Trading Post has anything. They buy/sell close out stuff, so mostly junk, but sometimes you find a jem.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know who made this for Remington. I bought it before 2012, don't remember exact year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I made this pic in 2019 FOR the contents I carry.
I'll make a new pic tomorrow in daylight. I have used it every year since I bought it and it's in great shape.
It's NOT a pack out but a Day pack.

It has a zippered top pocket, side pockets, and 1 or 2 inside pockets. I have NO complaints and not looking for another.

Sorry for this P P photo. I'll post another tomorrowl.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Jerry.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Check to see if Sierra Trading Post has anything. They buy/sell close out stuff, so mostly junk, but sometimes you find a jem.

That's a good idea. thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For days when I'm not traveling too far, having to pack many layers, or need to haul meat, I really like my HPG Umlindi.

Very simple pack, but very comfortable shoulder harness. No need to run a belt for my use.

2 Nalgenes, kill kit, food, TP, rain jacket in the bag and side pockets. Jacket rolled and strapped to top, sometimes bibs on the bottom if needed.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/136

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I often scrunch my main Kifaru Reckoning into daypack mode because one never knows where I may end up or what I may find when out goofing around.

I do have and use both a Kifaru ShapeCharge and a 14r for fishing and bird hunting...both of which are fine for day packs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Holston
For days when I'm not traveling too far, having to pack many layers, or need to haul meat, I really like my HPG Umlindi.

Very simple pack, but very comfortable shoulder harness. No need to run a belt for my use.

2 Nalgenes, kill kit, food, TP, rain jacket in the bag and side pockets. Jacket rolled and strapped to top, sometimes bibs on the bottom if needed.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/136

Good suggestion if you can source one as HPG doesn't expect to have them in stock until 2/22. Their stay maker went out of business and it took a while for them to find a new U.S. supplier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru Stryker XL. Added a couple exterior pockets for quick access to frequently used items. But it's about ideal. It also carries a treestand on the meat shelf extremely well.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i love my MR Pintler

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Kifaru Stryker XL. Added a couple exterior pockets for quick access to frequently used items. But it's about ideal. It also carries a treestand on the meat shelf extremely well.

Great system, though mine isn’t the XL version. Have the Mountain Warrior, Stryker and Rambler at the moment. Have had a couple others including some of their Internal frame packs. Carry the Stryker more than any.

Sometimes a little overkill on shorter trips, and HPGs harness system is the most comfortable for me on smaller packs.

How do you have your Stryker set up, pocket wise?

Last edited by Holston; 09/17/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Look at the MR Pop Ups. I've had a PU28 going on 5 years now and no complaints. It's a great little day pack that's built like a tank and has the ability to haul meat loads to 80#. If 1700ci isn't enough room, the PU38 offers 2320ci.

If you're flying to Wyoming, you can fit an entire frozen boned out antelope in the PU28 and put it in the airline overhead for the flight home. It meets their size restrictions, Just remember to line the pack first with one of those grocery store silver freezer bags.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/17/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=jwall]I don't know who made this for Remington. I bought it before 2012, don't remember exact year.

I made this pic in 2019 FOR the contents I carry.
I'll make a new pic tomorrow in daylight. I have used it every year since I bought it and it's in great shape.

---------------------

In 1st pic I''m holding it up to show its height.

All its says on the pack is Remington

In 2nd pic it's leaning over to see the top zippered pocked

There is a small separated compartment FROM the main one inside.

In 3 rd pic it has wide padded shoulder straps w/snap across the top
AND a good waist (belt type) snapping straps.

On average it weighs 11-12 lbs loaded for a day hunt AND there is plenty of room for more.

I USE it every day that I hunt since I bought it before 2012.
I don't need another one but if I did I's sure try to find another one.

Jerry

ps. These pix will disappear in 2 weeks. (photo management)

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Holston
Originally Posted by GuideGun

Great system, though mine isn’t the XL version. Have the Mountain Warrior, Stryker and Rambler at the moment. Have had a couple others including some of their Internal frame packs. Carry the Stryker more than any.

Sometimes a little overkill on shorter trips, and HPGs harness system is the most comfortable for me on smaller packs.

How do you have your Stryker set up, pocket wise?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Medium belt pouch on top and a Large belt pouch on bottom. I have a couple of their pullout bags in the main bag and room enough for a couple layers as well. It's a sweet rig. That's a LW wide sit and climb 2 on there.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Badlands Super Day is worth looking at.

Like mine as well. They also have excellent customer service; lifetime warranty. I bought a second hand one that had a bad zipper; they fixed it , no questions asked.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks to all. You've given me some good advice to go with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.