Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I ran across a Marlin lever gun chambered in 375 winchester. It is in very nice condition. The LGS says there's not much interest in that chambering in the marlin lever actions, so it's priced lower than some of her other marlin 336 rifles that are chambered in more common cartridges like 30-30. Price is $600.00. Is that reasonable? I checked gunbroker and prices are ridiculous, should I go and buy it? Thanks. Oh, by the way, I already load for a really nice winchester model 94 bigbore 375 win. Probably a "no brainer", but figured I'd ask here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can't see any reason not to. A JM Marlin in decent condition at $600 should be a guaranteed money maker if nothing else.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Llama Bob. I'm going to go and check it out again.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d take it for 600 BSA. I wouldn’t let you lose a penny.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well Scotty, this doesn't happen very often, but I snoozed on this one. Ha ha. The lady said a guy came in on saturday right after I was in and bought it. He said, "is that a 375", and she said yes. He said, "I'll take it"... She said he didn't even look at it, and paid right away... Damn. He knew what it was worth!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Well Scotty, this doesn't happen very often, but I snoozed on this one. Ha ha. The lady said a guy came in on saturday right after I was in and bought it. He said, "is that a 375", and she said yes. He said, "I'll take it"... She said he didn't even look at it, and paid right away... Damn. He knew what it was worth!!!

Yup, that's the way it goes...

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too bad but............ been there, done that and got the t-shirt! cry

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IF the gun is in that kind of condition and in that caliber, it's an EASY 1200 dollar gun

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
$600 was a real bargain….I rarely leave a gun that I may want if the price seems “reasonable” - have had what happened to you one too many times.

PennDog

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I ran across a Marlin lever gun chambered in 375 winchester. It is in very nice condition. The LGS says there's not much interest in that chambering in the marlin lever actions, so it's priced lower than some of her other marlin 336 rifles that are chambered in more common cartridges like 30-30. Price is $600.00. Is that reasonable? I checked gunbroker and prices are ridiculous, should I go and buy it? Thanks. Oh, by the way, I already load for a really nice winchester model 94 bigbore 375 win. Probably a "no brainer", but figured I'd ask here..

I've shot a lot of Deer, in PA, with a Marlin .375, my wife bought me, almost 40 yrs. ago, from her Father, ( FFL. dealer ), and I liked it and the Caliber so much, that I too picked up a Winchester .375!

I also think the $600.00 Bucks is a good price!

Saw this also, and realized it's Gone!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
$600 was a real bargain….I rarely leave a gun that I may want if the price seems “reasonable” - have had what happened to you one too many times.

PennDog

All I can do is laugh about it now... and shake my head. I went home to ask the question here, do some research and then when I decide to go and buy it, it is gone!!! Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Yeah, I think many of us have been there before.
The .375 ammo is a little hard to come by, based on the older 38-55, shortened by about 1/10 of an inch, case.
It's a nice straight wall cartridge, as Ohio has adapted for hunting, in the past few yrs., like the larger 45-70.
Making the ammo a little more popular, hopefully!
A great brush gun for PA!

Never know when you run across another one!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 09/04/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Yeah, I think many of us have been there before.
The .375 ammo is a little hard to come by, based on the older 38-55, shortened by about 1/10 of an inch, case.
It's a nice straight wall cartridge, as Ohio has adapted for hunting, in the past few yrs., like the larger 45-70.
Making the ammo a little more popular, hopefully!
A great brush gun for PA!

Never know when you run across another one!

Ha ha.. I'll know for the next time. From what I hear, they only made 16,000 of them (from 1980-1983), so I may never run across another one.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bought one at a gun show for $400 it is 95%. Guy had 6 boxes of ammo he gave me when I bought the gun since then over the years I've picked up 8 more boxes of Winchester factory loads. The funny part. IVE NEVER SHOT IT Have other big bore Marlin levers just never got around to shooting it

M
M
If you like the cartridge and reload for it, I'd get it. Looking for one myself, preferrably the XTR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MountainClimber
If you like the cartridge and reload for it, I'd get it. Looking for one myself, preferrably the XTR

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Bought one at a gun show for $400 it is 95%. Guy had 6 boxes of ammo he gave me when I bought the gun since then over the years I've picked up 8 more boxes of Winchester factory loads. The funny part. IVE NEVER SHOT IT Have other big bore Marlin levers just never got around to shooting it

You did very well sir. The ammo is rare as hens teeth around here. I did luck out and find a few boxes of factory ammo within the last few years for about $25.00/box. The funny thing is 2 of the boxes came from the same shop as the rifle in question in the op..

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've come very close to selling this rifle a few times glad I held onto it. Action is slick as butter It has a 2-7 leupy on it May have to set it and see about killing a deer with it this year

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To bad ya couldn't have put it on lay a way with a little money down and then do the research. I have one in model 375, took it out about 25 years ago when I first got it, shot a deer and it did a great job at that, should get it back out.

Last edited by DANNYL; 09/17/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.