Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16441920 09/17/21
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Started about ten years ago. I recently had my dose of Metoprolol increased. I hate that med, but what can you do. Still have minor episodes from time to time. Just saw a new Doc yesterday. He want's to perform an Ablation procedure. Has anyone here had that procedure done. Did it help? Any side effects?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Iv been going through this all summer, they shocked me , and so far good, iv come close to going back to Afib tho, were watching this and I may have to have ablation done, iv heard good stuff about it and know of one guy that hat it done over ,ten years ago and not on meds anymore I'm on the same meds as you plus Etraial.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It worked for me. I am not on meds anymore. My last afib event put me in the hospital for three days while they tried to get me back in rythum with IV meds. They had to shock me to get things working right. No problems since.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Works on some, others not so much. I shoot trap with two guys that have had it done twice and it didnt catch. Both are on the pill for the issue, flecinide I believe?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Took two ablations for my moms to stick.

My first incident of afib ( that I know of) was in June of 2018. Least thats when they carted me off to hospital.

Does metoprolol give you weird dreams? Does me.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had it done in Amchorage ten years ago. Wonderful results.

The procedure was done in late May and Dr said it would take 60 days for scar tissue to block stray electrical impulses.
My AFIB gradually decreased until exactly 60 days later in July it ended for ever.
Six weeks after that I shot a nice dall ram.
I was 69 at the time.
I take no heart meds!
Good luck with your procedure.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Took two ablations for my moms to stick.

My first incident of afib ( that I know of) was in June of 2018. Least thats when they carted me off to hospital.

Does metoprolol give you weird dreams? Does me.

Yes, Dreams of flat chested women with fat asses. Ha!

Maybe that's it. After getting the increased dose, I have had some very weird dreams.

The Metoprolol makes me very tired all day. I have to fight it all day long to get things done.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I read somewhere that the dreams can be a side effect of the drug. So who knows?

Good luck to you Gibby!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks kw .

Been researching the Ablation Procedure some. Seams more complicated than I thought. With changing on and off meds leading up and during the procedure. No big deal but more than just looking through your arteries like other procedures. YouTube research only.
My Doc comes highly recommended.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think ablation success largely depends on what part of the heart that’s affected. I had the ablation procedure done in 2006 for an irregular heart beat due to stimulation of high adrenaline in the bloodstream. The ablation surgery itself was a nonevent, put me out, gave me a shot of adrenaline to identify the rouge cells in my heart, than cauterized the offending cells. Recovered in bed for 3hrs than walked out. Never been back to the docs. It pays to research and have the best docs lined up for the surgery.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to work in the cath lab, and we did a lot of PVI's for A-fib.

What do you want to know?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I had some problems with tachycardia and afib a couple of years ago and the electrophysiologist set me up for the procedure. They did all the steps to induce arrhythmia and at one point I was lucid enough to hear him say, “I don’t see enough here to justify any cauterization.” He did implant a tiny cardiac monitor that periodically sends electrocardiograms to his office.

He did double my metoprolol and that seems to have done the trick for me.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by goalie

From people who had it done. Did they get off the meds? Did they feel better afterwards other than getting off the Metoprolol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gibby
Started about ten years ago. I recently had my dose of Metoprolol increased. I hate that med, but what can you do. Still have minor episodes from time to time. Just saw a new Doc yesterday. He want's to perform an Ablation procedure. Has anyone here had that procedure done. Did it help? Any side effects?

I had it done. Worked for me. No afib in over 3 years.

What are your negative effects from metoprolol?

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/17/21.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by goalie

From people who had it done. Did they get off the meds? Did they feel better afterwards other than getting off the Metoprolol.

That is a huge "it depends." It was common to see people's having the A-fib come back

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A dozen years ago you hardly ever heard of a cardiac ablation. Now it is all the rage. Seems to work based on several family members with AFib. However, as goalie pointed out above, their doc told them to expect the AFib to eventually come back.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 09/17/21.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What side effects are common with metoprolol ? Long term use 11 + years

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I pray it goes well for you. I had mitral valve repair in Jan 2014 and been dealing with AFIB off and on since. Currently on my 4th med, have had 5 cardioversions and going in next Friday for my second ablation. I still hunt and fish but am have way too many days that I wish were much better.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
female friend of mine had ablation 2x. neither worked for her. she's on pills now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As shown, its become quite common for a-fib that’s refractory to the anti-arrhythmics like flecaniade. But its not a risk free procedure like most of course. Since those with a-fib are almost always on blood thinners like Eliquis, bleeding is a risk. Anesthesia can be general (asleep) and some do a sedation technique which I wouldn’t choose.

It is the most common cardiac dysrhythmia and can be caused by a bunch of factors.

Key, as always is a good operator who can “map” during the procedure, identifying the “out of sync” areas toward the upper regions of both atrium which are then cryo- or heat treated. This is all done Percutaneously under visualization beginning in entering one of your femoral veins in the groin. Since the vena cava enters the left atrium, penetration of the atrial septum from the left is necessary to reach the right atrium. Personally, I’d opt for a cardio- that has done at least a 1000 cases and can give you a success rate and a complication rate.

It’s a technically demanding procedure and can go 1-6 hours depending on the operator and “stuff happening.”

Works perfectly for some and the opposite for others and may be repeated for those whom the drugs alluded to above don’t work.

So far, for my paroxysmal a-fib (means pops up once in a while) which started 2 years ago, flecanaide has worked perfectly. If the med works, no procedure for me.

Hope that helps a bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.