Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve slowly been putting SWfA 3-9x’s on a few guns and really like them. Sighted in a .308 and a .30-06 today with new ones mounted. Have another waiting on rings to go on my Montana .223. If they actually have them in the Black Friday sale I’ll grab 3 more.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update - I picked up a Trijicon Huron 3-12x40mm in 30mm. Will have a chance to mount and shoot this week to assess.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You are lucky you have pretty good eyesight. I'd be straining to see anything at 400 yards with a 4 power scope, so I do know how far it is. And yes, I shoot 400+ yards on a regular basis. Its not with that power range of scope though. It would be absolutely worthless to me, the reason rifle scopes are highly subjective.. Hell, I was shooting golf balls yesterday with a 14x and 16x scope. And those were only 50 yards away. What works for you is not going to work for others.
It's more important to have a reticle that pairs well with your target than to have magnification. Not saying magnifications doesn't help, but in HP I use a reticle that allows me to fit within some sort of frame of reference, even though it's only a 4.5x scope. For example, a reticle that fits in the X ring is about perfect with just a little excess around it so the white line is clearly visible. Wouldn't matter if the reticle was so big it just fit inside the 10 or even 9 ring, the same centering principle applies.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes. The Leupold 1-6 I had was the Firedot reticle and too thick to do any precise shooting. The eye box and FOV were amazing but it sucked for precision shooting.

The 1-4 Accupowers I have , have the segmented circle dot and the segmented circle gives you a reticle to pick up. While the small dot allows precise aiming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Dre
Burris 2.5-10 should cover you on the cheap.
It would be plenty for Your range time and varmint.

I would of said Nikon but they are no longer in the game. Burris is a good choice.

kwg

Nikon's are disposable now. That doesn't mean one won't work. Just when it goes tits up, you are sol..

I agree. I have 4 of them. They all work right now but some day Doug is going to hit the jackpot.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
Yes. The Leupold 1-6 I had was the Firedot reticle and too thick to do any precise shooting. The eye box and FOV were amazing but it sucked for precision shooting.

The 1-4 Accupowers I have , have the segmented circle dot and the segmented circle gives you a reticle to pick up. While the small dot allows precise aiming.

TWR, are tha 1-4 Accupowers FFP?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No second but I’m not gonna shoot past 100 yards on 1x anyway so I crank it up to 4x and the BDC is on out to 700 yards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
No second but I’m not gonna shoot past 100 yards on 1x anyway so I crank it up to 4x and the BDC is on out to 700 yards.

Cool. Thanks.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of their new models is FFP but I think it’s on a 1-6

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dre
Burris 2.5-10 should cover you on the cheap.
It would be plenty for Your range time and varmint.

I would of said Nikon but they are no longer in the game. Burris is a good choice.

kwg

Nikon's are disposable now. That doesn't mean one won't work. Just when it goes tits up, you are sol..

I agree. I have 4 of them. They all work right now but some day Doug is going to hit the jackpot.

kwg

I threw an impulse bid out on GB at a P-223 3-9x40 that’s never been mounted. And dang if I didn’t git it for $116 shipped. Has tall turrets and the BDC 600 reticle. Are they worth having other than being orphaned? Sorry to hijack the thread but there’s some pretty good deals around on Nikons.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure how they are going to hold up. I've heard good things about the Nikons, but not from anyone who has twisted the knobs long term.
For the money, they are hard to beat. I'd trust a Nikon long before I'd trust something like an Athlon, and damn sure long before I'd trust a Bushnell, Leapers, NcStar or UTG!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you can find one. The Burris AR556 4.5-14x42 is a damn good rifle scope:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have a few AR's with them^^^^. I also use Nightforce rifle scopes and I like the Burris just as much as a NXS 3.5-15x56:

Of course, rifle scope choice is very subjective. YMMV...

are those burris quick mounts?
I like the forward cantilever..
boy would that have saved me a headache!

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 09/26/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry I didn't see your question until now. Those are Burris PEPR cantilever mounts. They work great. I have never used a Burris quick detach, but have tried the AD recon and it is a very good mount with good return to zero and very solid.

If I had to choose a quick detach, it would be the AD Recon. And yes, the cantilever mount is the only way to go. IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Update - I picked up a Trijicon Huron 3-12x40mm in 30mm. Will have a chance to mount and shoot this week to assess.

I think you will like the Huron. I have a 1-4 on a Ruger MPR. Out to 300yards it does really well for me and doesn't leave me wanting magnification. I liked it so well I just picked up it's twin in the Ascent line and put it on my Colt 6920.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sorry I didn't see your question until now. Those are Burris PEPR cantilever mounts. They work great. I have never used a Burris quick detach, but have tried the AD recon and it is a very good mount with good return to zero and very solid.

If I had to choose a quick detach, it would be the AD Recon. And yes, the cantilever mount is the only way to go. IMHO..

for some reason whenever I read cantilever mounts my brain was registering "cam lever" mounts and I thought well the thumb screw seems to work well enough, until I mounted that floating front end...
oh well. nothing like learning the hard way to really drive a point home...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The AR I use for coyote hunting wears a Konus Pro 1.5-6x42mm w/illuminated circle dot. It is a very nice scope for the small price tag. The glass is surprisingly clear and the adjustments precise when sighting it in. All in all it is a great coyote calling scope with lightning fast target acquisition and enough X's to make a 300 yard shot easily.

I like this scope enough that I put one on my custom Rem 600 in 6x45 also.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

I think you will like that scope. I picked up one back in July, at a LGS I hardly go in and was looking at it, I really liked it and I told the wife I wanted it for our anniversary gift, but it was gone when that day rolled around. I've gone the LPVO route on my 5.56 and a .223 Wylde AR's. I only shoot out to 300 currently with both of them on a regular basis, but they get the job done. I think I may upgrade one to a 1-6 instead of the 1-4x24 I have on both of them currently.

Last edited by Hudge; 10/06/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm not sure how they are going to hold up. I've heard good things about the Nikons, but not from anyone who has twisted the knobs long term.
For the money, they are hard to beat. I'd trust a Nikon long before I'd trust something like an Athlon, and damn sure long before I'd trust a Bushnell, Leapers, NcStar or UTG!
I agree but just a small FYI. Leapers is the company name and one of their brands is UTG. They are only 4 miles from my house. I used to pick up orders there for my employer before I retired. I wouldn't own anything they make.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up a Riton 1-8. Haven’t done anything with it other than mounting it on my AR. I’ll post more when i can get out

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I agree but just a small FYI. Leapers is the company name and one of their brands is UTG. They are only 4 miles from my house. I used to pick up orders there for my employer before I retired. I wouldn't own anything they make.

Interesting.

I had no idea that Leapers was Michigan based. Mostly absolute trash products but I did put some USA made UTG Pro rings on an inexpensive rifle and have been completely happy with them. The US made Pro line isn’t bad quality, but yeah everything else that they market is mostly junk of the first order.

I have an Athlon Midas 1-6 that I really like. I’ve had it for 3-4 years, it’s been durable and glass quality is excellent compared to any of my other scopes in the same price range $500ish.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.