Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a very low mileage Rock River RRAGE 2G from a friend who is shrinking his collection. He had a overly expensive Nightforce 4-16 scope on it which I politely declined. Not spending $2,200 for a scope on a $700 toy.

I am leaning towards a Leupold MARK 3 4-12X40 scope. Any other suggestions in the $500 - $700 range?

Thanks

Last edited by STRSWilson; 09/17/21.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rifle scopes are totally a personal choice. You are going to get suggestions for low powered variables, like primary arms 1-6, 1-8's, or other similar scopes like Sigs BDX line ore fixed super chickens. Then you got the guys running slightly higher powered scopes like the venerable 3-9x40 and 4-12's. Then you have guys that step it up a notch and use 4.5-14x42" and 4-16's or 3-15's. The first question is always going to be "what are you going to be using it for?". Then in the end you are going to settle for your first choice, while most of us kick back and use our favorites... My favorite is actually a Burris and in the same basic power range as your scope in question. Hell, I even use it on my 10-22. I've dialed them a lot and they work. I'd trust it far more than any Leupold, but that's just me. So, with that being said, what do you intend to use yours for?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It depends on your use. I have a 1.25x4 Leupold VX-R that I really like for hunting or target shooting. My wife has some kind of Laser on hers and my other 2 have no sights as they are for in my shop or home to just point and empty the magazine.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mostly target 100 - 300 yards and light varmint. I have two hog guns already set up, but figured, a range gun would be something to play with. The 3-9 and 4-12 power range is more than enough. Just was curious if there is something that I am missing by sticking with Leupold and not breaking the bank in the process.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Mostly target 100 - 300 yards and light varmint. I have two hog guns already set up, but figured, a range gun would be something to play with. The 3-9 and 4-12 power range is more than enough. Just was curious if there is something that I am missing by sticking with Leupold and not breaking the bank in the process.

I'd just keep using the leupold, until it goes belly up. Or if you get tired of chasing your tail when you try to adjust it and want something else, there are much better options out there for less money..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
there are much better options out there for less money..

That was what I was asking for... what are the options to consider?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

I have a Swampfox Tomahawk 1-8 power lpvo that I haven't shot with much yet, but it seems very nice so far. Really clear glass, nice illumination, not overly bulky or heavy, decent eyebox on high power, and the 1x seems like a true 1x to me. I am impressed so far and may pick up another one eventually. My eyesight is terrible but I don't think I would have any trouble using it out to 300 (have only used it to 150 so far).

It might be one to take a look at.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Burris 2.5-10 should cover you on the cheap.
It would be plenty for Your range time and varmint.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If you can find one. The Burris AR556 4.5-14x42 is a damn good rifle scope:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have a few AR's with them^^^^. I also use Nightforce rifle scopes and I like the Burris just as much as a NXS 3.5-15x56:

Of course, rifle scope choice is very subjective. YMMV...

I'll be running a 10-22 tomorrow with one on top as well:

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Athlon line Doug from CameralandNY hawks around here are pretty good scopes. I have the 3-12 on my AR and it is a very nice scope with a great reticle for longer range shooting. Side focus works very well and they are pretty inexpensive...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the suggestion! Will go hunting now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a little beyond your budget, but the Nightforce SHV 3-10 in the non-illuminated version, is a much, much better scope that the Leupold that you are looking at, especially if you are going to be dialing much,

And it's size balances very nicely on an AR.

MM

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
For quick target acquisition I have used an Eotech 3 EXPS with great results. I recently added a G34 magnifier for slightly longer shots than 100 yards - seems to work great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre

I would of said Nikon but they are no longer in the game. Burris is a good choice.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Dre

I would of said Nikon but they are no longer in the game. Burris is a good choice.

kwg

Nikon's are disposable now. That doesn't mean one won't work. Just when it goes tits up, you are sol..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Right now mine has a Leupold 3-9X40 with some sort of ranging crosshair. I'm not that fond of it but it gets me by for now. Previously I had a VX-3 4.5-14X CDS .. better choice for my use but that scope is busy on another rifle for now.

It is likely that a lower powered scope has additional tactical utility, however, I have trouble downgrading when I was getting groups under 0.75" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Right now mine has a Leupold 3-9X40 with some sort of ranging crosshair. I'm not that fond of it but it gets me by for now. Previously I had a VX-3 4.5-14X CDS .. better choice for my use but that scope is busy on another rifle for now.

It is likely that a lower powered scope has additional tactical utility, however, I have trouble downgrading when I was getting groups under 0.75" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

This is where I think most get sidetracked when picking a scope. We think we need high magnification and sub MOA to have a useful rifle. I shot this plate with a Colt pencil barreled carbine with a Leupold VX6 1-6 if I remember right. It might have been my Noveske with the Trijicon 1-4 but either way, it was at 400 yards.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’ll take the utility of a LPVO over a Hubble telescope any day.
The 1-4 Trijicon Accupower, I sent the 1-6 Leupold down the road and purchased another one of these. I’d buy a third if they hadn’t doubled in price.

Last edited by TWR; 09/19/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

This is where I think most get sidetracked when picking a scope. We think we need high magnification and sub MOA to have a useful rifle. I shot this plate with a Colt pencil barreled carbine with a Leupold VX6 1-6 if I remember right. It might have been my Noveske with the Trijicon 1-4 but either way, it was at 400 yards.
I’ll take the utility of a LPVO over a Hubble telescope any day.
The 1-4 Trijicon Accupower, I sent the 1-6 Leupold down the road and purchased another one of these. I’d buy a third if they hadn’t doubled in price.

You are lucky you have pretty good eyesight. I'd be straining to see anything at 400 yards with a 4 power scope, so I do know how far it is. And yes, I shoot 400+ yards on a regular basis. Its not with that power range of scope though. It would be absolutely worthless to me, the reason rifle scopes are highly subjective.. Hell, I was shooting golf balls yesterday with a 14x and 16x scope. And those were only 50 yards away. What works for you is not going to work for others.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Slick rifle TWR.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks Raferman.

BSA, you never know what you can do until you try it. That target is a full size silhouette with a black flapper about 5x7 for the A zone. If you can see a man sized target, you can hit it with the scope. I’ve actually hit out to 700 yards with it. Here’s a 600 yard silhouette.

And then the plate on the left (17”) was shot with a 6X super chicken at 1000 yards. The right was my 10x super chicken both 6.5 needmoor.

Golf balls on the other hand aren’t quite as easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.