Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Originally Posted by KenMi
Or, the previous rifle the brass came from had a sloppy chamber, which increased the brass right at the base, where it isn't being sized.
How firmly is the die contacting the shellholder? Could also be the previous gun had a slightly longer headspace.

I'd check brass length first, then headspace/die setting, and then finally the base diameter. It has to be one of those.
Small base dies should not be needed if you have a bolt action with a standard chamber, which is what the Axis is.

The die is touching the shell holder

For RCBS and have used it on Hornady and Redding also.

First, run the ram to the top of the reloading press stroke with the proper shell holder installed. Second, screw the resizing die into the press until it stops against the elevated shell holder. Third, all play must be removed from the system. To do this, lower the ram and turn the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther into the press. Check the adjustment by returning the shell holder to the top of its stroke--you should feel the press cam over center. Now set the large lock ring and your die is adjusted to properly full length resize cases.

Swifty
GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Brass fired in my Model 88 (243 lever) would not chamber in my T/C TCR 87. Resizing in FL die did not work.
Ran the brass into my trim die and then the FL die did the trick. Another option is a Small Base die set.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Use a dark Sharpie marker on the shoulder & the junctions of body & neck as well as around the base at the pressure ring. Hell... color the whole case. Chamber, extract, & look for marks where it's hitting.

See above comments for remedy.

If the base needs sizing, I've heard that stripping a 45ACP sizing die will allow you push the case all the way thru. Carbide will be easier. Not sure if I'd do this to a loaded round..

I just used a sharpie marker and painted the entire case and kind of what I suspected the problem is on the shoulder of the case. My COAL is good, base of case is good, I saw contact markers on the shoulder of case. Is there any way I can bump that down with my die? I thought when FL sized my case that it was automatically bumping the shoulder back. As another amp fire member said I may just have to buy brand new brass. Or I may be able to fire this stuff through my chamber to get it to fireform to my chamber and continue to use it.

Sounds like a die problem to me, since the op says the shoulder isn't getting bumped back far enough. He also says the "COAL" is good". OP, you still don't say if you've trimmed the brass. Only that it is good. What brand of dies are you using? Also, are you adjusting your die set as Swifty has outlined? You just say that the shell holder is making contact with the die. If you need to FL size, you need to adjust your die to do so. It should "cam over" when you are sizing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the die is adjusted right and still hard to close the bolt double check the die and see if by chance it's a neck sizer die.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.