Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mine has gravitated to the 7X65R. It closely emulates the 280 Rem. The 30 Blazer is a great round, but it requires a more stoutly built gun...thus heavy.

What's yours?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like the 7x57R. Mine is a 200 yard deer killer with very little recoil in a 7.25# gun. I had a .222 - 20 gauge combo but had no real use for it, so it's gone.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
7x57R for me. I only use the rifle barrel in my 2 combo guns for deer and black bear and such, and that cartridge is a perfect match for them. If I hunted moose or grizzly regularly with a combo gun I might choose something heavier. Then it would be 9.3x74r. I've used a 7x65R a bit it Germany, but felt the extra velocity was not needed for small wild boar and roe deer at close range. My .30R Blaser is a kipplauf single shot, not heavy, but a nice mountain rifle or equally welcome on long open country prairie stalks.

Last edited by castnblast; 09/04/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I too like the 7x57R, and have used it a lot in combo and drilling. It has enough power for any of the deer species here in Oz, including sambar (near elk-sized), and recoil is modest even in a 6lb drilling.

For most of what I use the drilling for I could even be happy with a 5.6x50R, with a fast enough twist for heavier bullets, though even the 63 gn Sierra does a good job on fallow deer. That would suit me nicely for rabbits, foxes, goats, pigs and fallow deer, but that would be its limit. That is most of my hunting though. 5.6 x52R would be in contention too if it would shoot well with .224" bullets

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm a fan of 22 Savage High Power.It's just right for the smaller Florida deer and works well on varmints.I'm using the 55gr bullets in my old valmet 312

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My drilling for big game is a 7x57R
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My most used drilling is a 6.5x58R Sauer that I use for coyote hunting

I have a combo gun in 22HP that is very accurate with Buffalo Arms 55gr .228 bullets plus I have a bunch of S&B 70gr stuff for it

I have another combo gun in 5.6x50R Mag. that is great in that it uses .224 bullets and works really well on coyotes with 52gr Speer FB HP's

I should really get serious about finding a drilling in 5.6x50R for coyote but my wallet is thin and my age puts it in the extravagance category as I don't know how much use I'd get out of it.

I kind of like the 9.3x72R, I have an old hammer drilling in it but the barrel is in rough shape, still minute of deer but between not being able to use open sights very well and not doing much big game hunting any longer it gets used for the shotgun barrels the most as they shoot very well for me. I started playing with paper patched bullets for it a few years ago but the proect got put on hold for the move and the gear is at the bottom of a box somewhere.

Last edited by erich; 09/05/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
7x57r for me as well. In my part of VA, most shots are less than 130 yds, and the 7x57r fits this bill nicely.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As long as we're talking about cartridges, I'm puzzled about that lovely drilling you briefly offered for sale. How is a .41 magnum die used to expand a 9.5x47 case to 10x47?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7x57R in an early/middle 1960s vintage Heym, But my crappy old Savage 24 in 22M/410 gets a lot more use.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogeye
As long as we're talking about cartridges, I'm puzzled about that lovely drilling you briefly offered for sale. How is a .41 magnum die used to expand a 9.5x47 case to 10x47?

I size down trimmed 30-40 brass and don't use an expander, just like we had to do 50 years ago to load for the "J" bore Mausers with standard 8X57 dies; we used 32 Spl bullets to load for the "J" bores. It seems to be a perfect fit for my .401 cast bullets I bought. The 30-40 rim isn't thick enough, however, and the 10X47R will need the 9.5X47R brass.

I noticed something minor that needed attention on the Nagel & Menz drilling and would never sell it knowing it needed attention. It'll go to Lee LeBas for a fix.

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/05/21.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you. I am far from a cartridge expert and that was puzzling me.

Sounds like the 10x47R would be a good hill country whitetail round. Similar to a .38 WCF but somewhat more powerful.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
7x65 here.

I've only got the one, so it get's to be my favorite. Works fine though.

Last edited by RPN; 09/07/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RPN
7x65 here.

I've only got the one, so it get's to be my favorite. Works fine though.

Would like to know what you're shooting. wink

How's the dictatorbitch's lockdown affecting you?

I sure like the NZ hunting forum I visit, great bunch there.

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/07/21.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've got a l/h 95K in 12g over 7x65, I bought it after a Chukar hunting trip in the Alps when I only saw Thar on days I wasn't carrying a rifle as well as the shotgun. I've shot pheasants and Sika with it, and there is always a good chance of a pig where I live and chase pheasants now, so once I recover from rotator cuff surgery it will go back into service. They aren't at all common in NZ, but I am happy with it. Might look at a RDS in a QD mount to help with the rifle barrel. Iron sights are great when you are less than 40, and I'm not.

The govt strategy is a disaster, I think. We can't stay closed as a country forever, and they don't seem to have any plans around dealing with a normally functioning society living with the Rona. I'm sort of lucky, I have an engineering company making gear for water treatment projects (essential business) so we just get on with it, but getting material is getting difficult - and bloody expensive. I can't believe so many people voted for the horse faced lying bitch, but people do be strange.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm 74 now and have hunted Chukar with a drilling since I was 12, using a Sauer/Charles Daly SL/side-cock in 12ga and 30-30. Our deer season ran four weeks, starting the same day as the Chukar opener. We seldom ever went deer hunting, only. I got our tags filled with the drilling during the bird season. I also like to hunt upland birds with my drillings. I've popped many coyotes and one cougar over my lifetime with that rifle barrel hanging off the shotgun. That 95 is a great gun, IMO. I covet yours. wink

My Trumpf Dural 16/16/7X65R handles like a great upland gun should, and it fits me well.

Gets quail
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gets Chukar

Gets Blue Grouse

Gets Sagehen

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know that guy and most likely both of the wonderful dogs. Edit maybe all three. Gotta be Rocky, Maggie and my sweetie Rosy posy.

I just have to kill something this year or early spring with that drilling you sold me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Minty post-war Sauer in 16 2 3/4" chambers and 8X57JRS...Yep, you do need to unzip the case and bust something. That drilling was one of the first Sauer made after the War on their new machinery but with the most modern steels and great pre-war gunmakers...best of both worlds.

We sure miss Rocky the Giant. His nose was radar...best I ever saw in 66 years of following bird dogs.

Rosie will be glad to work for you. wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a little late to this discussion,, but my favorite is the 8x57, especially paired with a 16 bore. I live and hunt in the east, in and around the Appalachians. It's prety much thick woods for whitetails, bears, turkeys, squirrels, woodcock, goundhogs, the occasional rabbit, fox and coyote. For me the 8x57 in either J or S is about perfect. I have cast loads for 120 and 170 grains. I have 125, 150, 170 ,190-6 soft points, and 196 grain solids. I've managed over the years to get them to shoot to sights at the ranges I use them at. To top them off, I have a Hammond Game getter for both bore sizes, or I can use 5 grains of Unique under a .321 or .323 buck shot for a rabbit in the garden.
My 8x57/16 combination grew up in Africa, before she came to me, and accounted for a pretty long list of what we now call plains game and a lot of leopards. If I ever get back, she will be with me.
I've had flirtations with a lot of other combination and drilling rifle cartridges, but I like the 8x57 best.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Any pics Blackfly?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am once again stymied by inserting photos. Sadly i used to write code in UNIX and BASIC, but I can't operate in GUI or on a phone!
If I ever figure it out again, I'll post them.
Bflt

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.