Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had this 77/17wsm for about a month (bought used) it came with a 24" barrel and my 100yd 6 shot groups were about 2.5" or so with generally only 2 almost touching. That was with a jard trigger at about 2lbs, #2 bolt shim and bedding the action and bedding material in place of the pressure bump at forend. I picked it up thursday from the smith where I had him cut it down to 20", put the scope back on today and went out to my bench and it was much better. I haven't compared velocity yet.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a rack full of CZ .22LRs, and by far, the better shooters have 16.25" barrels. It doesn't seem to be an odd occurrence with them. They are easier to carry, too, which makes them just plain great in my eyes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Impressive! Have a new CZ 457 in 22LR. With proper ammo it's a nail driver. Unfortunately, it likes Win Power Points and I only have about 8 bricks left. Not seen any on the shelves for about 10 years locally.

Also great with Ely/Rem target ammo, but point of impact shifts down 3/4" and left about 1 and 3/4". Still nail driving, but a significant shift in placement. Can't afford bricks of that stuff though for our spring ground squirrel shoots.

Nice trigger, as to travel, but need to take a tiny bit off the resistance spring.

Have a good one,

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you think that maybe the difference is the new crown?

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Barrel length affects mechanical stiffness for a given diameter. The shorter the barrel, the stiffer it is.

Perhaps more importantly ,shortening a barrel may put the bullet release point at the top or bottom of that rifle/ load combination's sine vibration wave during firing. In other words, putting it in an accuracy node whereas it was not before when the barrel was full length.

Centerfire handloaders do it by doing velocity ladder tests to get into accuracy nodes. One way to do it with factory ammo is to either try different loads or chop the barrel to get a different exit point along the barrel's length.

In your case Danny- it sure looks like it worked!

Last edited by jk16; 09/20/21.
IC B2

DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The new crown is possible but think jk16 is right. Ruger now only list an 18.5 & 20" so they may have gone through this also.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Do you think that maybe the difference is the new crown?

That would be my guess..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I've had this 77/17wsm for about a month (bought used) it came with a 24" barrel and my 100yd 6 shot groups were about 2.5" or so with generally only 2 almost touching. That was with a jard trigger at about 2lbs, #2 bolt shim and bedding the action and bedding material in place of the pressure bump at forend. I picked it up thursday from the smith where I had him cut it down to 20", put the scope back on today and went out to my bench and it was much better. I haven't compared velocity yet.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Danny, is this a rimfire?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes. 17wsm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever the reason, looks like Danny‘s got himself a shooter.

Do the hot .17 RFs suffer from the same lot-to-lot variations that drive us .22 guys nuts?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Do the hot .17 RFs suffer from the same lot-to-lot variations that drive us .22 guys nuts?

Pappy

Having got/shot a variety of 17s in platforms from the 77/17 to Annie's, Garrows, Coopers, etc I'll say there certainly exists the same types of preferences as with 22LRs.

Different loads and different lots need sampling to find that sweet spot where you can stack em in.

Specifically on my 77/17 it can go from a tick over 1" to under 1/2" ten shot groups at 50 depending on the ammo.

DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am using winchester 20gr and bought a case of the same lot but think it need a bit adjusting poi when going to another lot. From what I've read all ammo is made by winchester and some are just relabeled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by m1919

Pappy

Having got/shot a variety of 17s in platforms from the 77/17 to Annie's, Garrows, Coopers, etc I'll say there certainly exists the same types of preferences as with 22LRs.

Different loads and different lots need sampling to find that sweet spot where you can stack em in.

Specifically on my 77/17 it can go from a tick over 1" to under 1/2" ten shot groups at 50 depending on the ammo.

I'm thinking pappy may have been talking about wild flyers and abysmal accuracy, or lack thereof. We've all seen it with 22lr. I have not seen it as much with 17HMR. I've only been around 1 17WSM and it didn't seem to be too finicky either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Looks great, glad you got your rig worked out. Not much more frustrating than a 2 inch "varmint rifle". Those Ruger 77/17's are beautiful rifles.

DANNYL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think so also and one way or the other I was going to get it right. Still have to see how the 25gr do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn!...I shoulda thought of that. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Though in fairness,I've not chopped a barrel since this morning. Hint.

Perhaps say something about scopes?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
#DickTongs

#Whoopsie

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boob,

Rest assured I'd wanna do,is to swipe ANY of the Sweet "Satisfactions" that are your's,as you extoll upon your Wanton Man Lust Fantasies and countless very WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

There's NO "mistaking" my mitts,if only for conversation. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Just sayin'. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for getting horned up.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stubby little fingers can't even wrap those grips.

And look, stinky ruined another rifle. Wonder what it's worth now.

Here it comes, another cut n paste bundle of blather from the idiot from Alaska. In three, two, one........

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm. Never thought of that....Taking a hacksaw to one of my rifles to try and improve accuracy!

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
344 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.