Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just finished reading "Supreme Commander" by Ambrose. A bit tedious at times but overall a well researched account of the very high level strategy and tactics of the war and all of the problems - about half management and half just obstinate personalities - that Ike had to put up with. It covers things I never really knew about or at least never thought about, like all of the intrigue going on during the North African campaign, the surrender of Italy or how to treat France once we invaded.

One example of the things he had to worry about was the way De Gaulle was such a prick, although apparently Eisenhower had a grudging respect for him. When he threatened to take his French forces (which we armed and supplied) out from under SHAEF's control late in the war Ike had to consider that if he retaliated by cutting off their supplies he might have been confronted with the possibility of his own logistic train running through a nation with a suddenly hostile government and a fully armed resistance force.

Going to the library in a few minutes to pick up "An Army at Dawn". If that proves readable will get the other two books in that trilogy.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The Ian Toll trilogy about the Pacific war is very good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To understand the European theatre post D-Day it's great to read about what came first as part of the greater strategy. Africa and Operation Torch and multiple invasions of Italy and the arguments among the allies about how to D Day (and honing all our amphibious tactics) is really well covered in The path to Victory by Douglas Porch

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've mentioned this before, but Ike's 1947 book "Crusade in Europe" probably gives the same information, but directly from Ike's perspective.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m currently reading Rick Atkinson.

The Army at Dawn is about the North African Campaign. Good book, Patton didn’t shine there as much as I thought.

I found the Day of Battle about the Italian Campaign to be the most tedious, reflecting the hard drudgery of that theater. An Allied offensive handicapped by the diversion of resources to the upcoming invasion of Normandy.

Currently I’m on The Guns at Last Light, Monty has just bullheaded through the disaster of Market Garden and equally bullheaded American Generals are feeding GI’s into the meat grinder of the Hurtgen Forest and the Siegfried Line.
After sweeping across most of France in four weeks the Allies have been stalled for six weeks.

One thing Atkinson does really well is describe the role of logistics, and also the human cost of war. For example I had no idea that the Germans lobbed literally hundreds of V1’s and V2’s onto the port city of Antwerp after the capture of that city by the Allies.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"The Things our Fathers Saw" and "The Pacific" are good. Anything by Victor Davis Hanson. I'm currently reading "In Harms Way". It's the account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Pisses me off. Captain Charles McVay III was set up for failure then crucified.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Victor Davis Hanson's "The Second World Wars" is a very good overview of the entire WWII era, including the events leading up to the "war" as Americans understand it.

Yep the man is a genius

Last edited by efw; 09/18/21. Reason: Add lecture vids
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’m currently reading Rick Atkinson.

The Army at Dawn is about the North African Campaign. Good book, Patton didn’t shine there as much as I thought.

I found the Day of Battle about the Italian Campaign to be the most tedious, reflecting the hard drudgery of that theater. An Allied offensive handicapped by the diversion of resources to the upcoming invasion of Normandy.

Currently I’m on The Guns at Last Light, Monty has just bullheaded through the disaster of Market Garden and equally bullheaded American Generals are feeding GI’s into the meat grinder of the Hurtgen Forest and the Siegfried Line.
After sweeping across most of France in four weeks the Allies have been stalled for six weeks.

One thing Atkinson does really well is describe the role of logistics, and also the human cost of war. For example I had no idea that the Germans lobbed literally hundreds of V1’s and V2’s onto the port city of Antwerp after the capture of that city by the Allies.

Before reading Supreme Commander I never fully knew of what the British were doing in the Low Countries, mostly due to concentrating on books that told the story of American troops. Obviously I knew they were there and even casual students of WWII know of Market Garden but now I understand it was part of Monty's "single big thrust" strategy into the Ruhr and toward Berlin. Ike wanted to bring all of his troops up to the Rhine all along its length, cross it and then sweep through Germany from there with the flexibility to take advantage of any point where the Germans cracked. Plus by then Ike and everyone else believed Monty would never do anything quickly and that had lost them the opportunity to capture and kill a lot of Germans more than once. Once the Allies got across the Rhine and Bradley started advancing rapidly that turned into the "single big thrust", somewhat to Monty's dismay. Plus, Monty and the British wanted desperately to take Berlin while Ike wanted them to secure the Danish peninsula to keep the Soviets from taking it.

Churchill was thinking of British security after the war and worried greatly about how far Soviet troops would advance and those political ends colored his recommendations and requests to Ike, Ike just wanted to win the war militarily by the quickest way possible. The back and forth between Ike, Churchill, Roosevelt, Monty and the American Army group generals was very interesting. Nobody said they wanted to take Berlin for the sheer glory of it but that was definitely part of the reason since by the last months of the war it was not a strategically important target, just a public relations prize.

Anyway, very interesting stuff. This is what I was looking for when I started this thread - not so much the personal accounts from the foxhole view which I've already read, but a comprehensive study of just what it took to win the war from a top level view.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by rainshot
I'm currently reading "In Harms Way". It's the account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Pisses me off. Captain Charles McVay III was set up for failure then crucified.

My son met some of those old guys and was invited to one of their reunions. It was to honor them that I picked my handle. Serving US Navy officers were not welcome. The granddaughter of the Japanese sub's commander was an honored guest (she lives in Chicago now).

Captain McVay got scapegoated because, they claimed, he hadn't zig zagged to avoid torpedoes. The Japanese sub commander went to Washington to testify that it would not have mattered if he had zig zagged. Couldn't blame the higher brass for ignoring when the Indy was overdue, could they?

A few years later McVay committed suicide. He was a hero in my opinion.

He was only exonerated, posthumously, after a high school kid used the Indy as a history project and wouldn't let it drop.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Fleet at High Tide

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Anyway, very interesting stuff. This is what I was looking for when I started this thread - not so much the personal accounts from the foxhole view which I've already read, but a comprehensive study of just what it took to win the war from a top level view.

Well then you’re gonna like Atkinson’s trilogy, from the first blundered landings in North Africa, to the essential role the landings at Sicily, Salerno and Anzio played in the learning curve leading up to Operation Overlord.

One thing that struck me in The Day of Battle, a million servicemen in the Mediterranean Theater by the spring of ‘44 and the author points out that most of the rapidly building US Army hadn’t even left the US yet.

By Overlord the Brits were literally running out of men to send into battle.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Pugs
To understand the European theatre post D-Day it's great to read about what came first as part of the greater strategy. Africa and Operation Torch and multiple invasions of Italy and the arguments among the allies about how to D Day (and honing all our amphibious tactics) is really well covered in The path to Victory by Douglas Porch

Excellent book!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I was a kid in the 1950s I read books written by WWII pilots. Thunderbolt, by Robert S. Johnson, Ba Ba Black Sheep by Greg "Pappy" Boyington, and Zero, by Saburo Sakai. There were others I can't remember.

For a different view on the war, try Red Road from Stalingrad. I forget the author's Russian name. It is the story of a 19 year old Siberian boy who has a safe job working for a general but wants to fight for Russia. He starts fighting at Stalingrad and fights for about a year until he is seriously wounded.

He said that even the Siberian boys who were used to -50 degrees were cold at Stalingrad, where nothing stopped the winter wind on the steppes.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Walk in the Sun", this is a little book, a novel. Dana Andrews would take the movie made from it and show it to officers in training in their Leadership class at Fort Benning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not Europe, S.E. Asia, Burma. A good read: Behind Japanese Lines with the OSS, by Richard Dunlop.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you liked Eugene Sledge’s, “With The Old Breed” you should read RV Bergin’s, “Islands of the Damned”. Bergin was Sledge’s platoon leader and gives a slightly different perspective of the same events.

I know you are looking for more strategic books so read “Shattered Sword” about Midway great in depth book.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ghost soldiers, A Spy Among Friends, Samurai, Thunderbolt, The Forgotten 500, American Guerrilla in the Philippines and Odyssey of a Philippine Scout just to name a few. The last two give a picture of two sides, one fighting and the other more escape an evasion. Interesting thing about my copy of the last book. The author died before being published and his daughter got it all together and has it printed. She even signed the book for me. It's interesting to see the trains of thought between two men in the same area of battle.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Blood, Tears and Folly by Len Deighton. Explains many of the major mistakes of the war and the consequences. Very readable.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Well then you’re gonna like Atkinson’s trilogy, from the first blundered landings in North Africa, to the essential role the landings at Sicily, Salerno and Anzio played in the learning curve leading up to Operation Overlord.

One thing that struck me in The Day of Battle, a million servicemen in the Mediterranean Theater by the spring of ‘44 and the author points out that most of the rapidly building US Army hadn’t even left the US yet.

By Overlord the Brits were literally running out of men to send into battle.

Finished "An Army at Dawn" a few days ago and immediately started reading "The Day of Battle", at this point in the book the Allies have just landed on Sicily. Always knew we out produced the Germans but this book and the last leave the impression that the Americans and some extent the British as well just stumbled and bumbled our way to victory helped along by outstanding examples of small unit and individual bravery. So many lives thrown away needlessly through arrogance, egotistical decisions of generals and overall bad planning and execution. SNAFU's, TARFU's, JAAFU's and FUBAR's abounded.

Very good books overall. I like the 30,000 foot view of strategy and tactics mixed with enough anecdotes to show the personal side of the war. It's obvious Atkinson did a huge amount of detailed research.

Also trying to find the tune of "Dirty Gertie from Bizerte" but so far all I've found with the music is a later cleaned up version.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.