Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.boone-crockett.org/new-pennsylvania-state-record-elk

I originally had this pointed out to me in the 24 Hr Campfire's "campfire forums". Click the link to see the complete story and photo of the 455 inch measured bull.

Truly an impressive bull. This bull was taken on the special 2020 Keystone Elk Country Alliance raffle tag. The shooter is from Birmingham Wa, a contractor there, who was the winner of the special raffle tag A rifle kill at 70 yds, using a 7mm Dakota chambered rifle. He passed up many 400+ bulls before taking this trophy. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 09/18/21. Reason: correction
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is Pretty interesting to me, as I don't know why I didn't hear about, or see info, and pics Earlier!

Thanks for Posting the link, HH!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
apov
HS 58 I agree, 1st I had heard of this bull being taken. I am posting a link to view a video made in Oct 2014 by CE Potapov on Winslow Hill area near the community of Benezette, Pa where the Pa herd has been re-established. The Elk County Visitors museum is here also. Folks from many states come to view this elk activity during the Elk Rut normally in mid to late Sept. There are many videos of Pa's re-established elk herd on You tube.. HH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOTuqWRWjs Enjoy ! At 8.39 and 8.56 you can see Pa folks enjoying the opportunity to video and photograph the Pa elk. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 09/18/21. Reason: info added
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Lots of bone to carry around on your head 😊 Amazing!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
He sure has a lot points. Nice looking elk.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He for sure did not grow up on our basaltic soils. A lot of calcium there.

1Minute
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Amazing what grows when there aren't wolves around!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by JimH
Amazing what grows when there aren't wolves around!

Or………lots of hunters. If you shoot ‘em when they’re small, they never get real big. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Who cares?

The value of a real trophy is so diminished since the introduction of farms and growth enhancement, people have lost sight of what hunting a real game animal is.

Spider Bulls and all the associated elk that have become the target of all the rich so-called hunters as they pursue the ridiculous chance to kill a “big one” continues to destroy hunting. I hope it tastes like$hit.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
HitnRun. This was a free range Pa elk, not farm raised. He might have ben feeding on agriculture foods on Pa farmlands in his travel area. They are descendants from elk re introduced back in the early 1900s from Yellowstone NP I believe.. They live long in Pa with good natural foods and little predation, a few black bears, coyotes and bobcats but no cougars or wolves, and very limited hunts since 2001 I believe. Good food, good minerals, no predators to speak of, Oh cars sometimes, and irrate farmers... and poor sighted hunters mistaken them for big bucks ! So they grow BIG ! Yes he is well heeled...I guess, the shooter, but it was a raffle drawing, and he was guided by knowledgeable guides. He and his guides searched hard for that special one... before pulling the trigger. Just my thoughts... you are entitled to yours also. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 09/20/21. Reason: correction
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse
HitnRun. This was a free range Pa elk, not farm raised. He might have ben feeding on agriculture foods on Pa farmlands in his travel area. They are descendants from elk re introduced back in the early 1900s from Yellowstone NP I believe.. They live long in Pa with good natural foods and little predation, a few black bears, coyotes and bobcats but no cougars or wolves, and very limited hunts since 2001 I believe. Good food, good minerals, no predators to speak of, Oh cars sometimes, and irrate farmers... and poor sighted hunters mistaken them for big bucks ! So they grow BIG ! Yes he is well heeled...I guess, the shooter, but it was a raffle drawing, and he was guided by knowledgeable guides. He and his guides searched hard for that special one... before pulling the trigger. Just my thoughts... you are entitled to yours also. HH

We have had a camp near Driftwood since i was 16 years old, and im now 86.
Driftwood is 18 miles from Benezette.
Take a ride around that area and try to find a farm.
Lots of natural gas wells and pipelines, and reclaimed strip mines.
Make up your mind that the vast majority of the Elk are killed within sight of a road, and many within the saftey zone distances of houses.
You can call it whatever you prefer, but i prefer to call it a joke as far as a hunt is concerned.
Ive so far had 3 shot on my 17 acre property, all within the safety zone and close to the vehicle that took them there.
All with the assistance of an “Outfitter”.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse

We have had a camp near Driftwood since i was 16 years old, and im now 86.
Driftwood is 18 miles from Benezette.
Take a ride around that area and try to find a farm.
Lots of natural gas wells and pipelines, and reclaimed strip mines.
Make up your mind that the vast majority of the Elk are killed within sight of a road, and many within the saftey zone distances of houses.
You can call it whatever you prefer, but i prefer to call it a joke as far as a hunt is concerned.
Ive so far had 3 shot on my 17 acre property, all within the safety zone and close to the vehicle that took them there.
All with the assistance of an “Outfitter”.

I get into that area pretty regular for both work and pleasure. It's no problem finding farms. Yes, they are smaller beef farms or maybe specialized operations (and not a 1000 acre crop farm) but they are there. Gas lines, wells, strip mines all have grass. Elk are grazers and eat grass. Doesn't matter to them if it's farmers hayfield or a long skinny gas line 'hayfield', they're going to eat.

Yes, some elk are more wary than others. Some have let me walk very close, others bolted at first sight. But the area where the elk are most acclimated to humans is around Benezette and is off limits to hunting. And finally, of course they are near roads, it's Pa. and we have a lot of roads. They can't not be near roads.

If your safety zone is being violated, have you called the Game Commission and reported it? Gotten license #'s (either hunter or car)?

Dale

This space for rent

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

Dale K Well said Dale ! HH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guy drew the tag and shot the biggest bull he could find.

Hard to hate a man for that...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.