Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Greetings all,

I recently bought a nice Winchester 88 and I'd like to do some work on the stock, trigger, etc. There was a thread here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...chester-88-accurizing-rogue-river-rifles where a few people mentioned having some ideas and details about accurizing one of these. I'm a new member so I don't appear to be able to PM the members from that thread. Can anyone help with some info? Thanks.

BP-B6

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My opinion, your Thread of reference is simply too old to be useful as almost a decade ago! Things change and even then prominent message theme... Firms out of business and others no longer working on the Model 88!
The 88 trigger was an engineering compromise and from my own ancient readings, alterations were generally disdained. One matter to achieve that pinnacle-refined trigger pull. Another to maintain it and particularly against an engineering standard, likely for sustained safety, resulting in the less than ideal pull.
Another point, that the Model 88 itself as "collectible". You don't mention your chambering, but if other than perhaps .308 or .243 Win, possible additional value there. I just had a quick look and here's a Website purporting to chronicle several recent transactions.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/winchester-88/price-historical-value/used/4

I know nothing about these valuation folk. But the point, don't devalue your rifle as compounding by $$$ invested to do so!

I have several of these neat rifles. Favorite, a 1968 vintage Carbine in .308. None of my several triggers either great or horrible.
My net, net suggestion, take yours out and shoot it! Likely better for you to adapt to it, than a lot of money gone, at least before "good assessment" of what you now have!
If/when your next Post, how about chambering & DOM info? smile
Just my take...
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 09/19/21.
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for your insights and the welcome, John.

It’s a 1966 in .308. I’ve been shooting it quite a bit and she’s not a bad shooter but, being a tinkerer, I’m sure there is room for improvement. I’m not too concerned about collector value.

My reference to the previous post was more to get in touch with some of the people who posted about having experience with working the 88.

Thanks again!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
we have a 1957 Model 88 in .308 we have had in the family since new. It was my father's only rifle, then mine, my boys and is now my grandsons.

Dad had a trigger job done on it right after he got it and it was very nice. That smith is long forgotten. It breaks at 3.5# plus or minus about 2 ounces on my RCBS trigger scale.

It always shot well-1.5-2" 3-shot groups with 150 grain WW Power Points or a handload of 4064 and Hornady 150 grain bullets.

When dad was 86 he hung it up and I got the rifle from him for $350.00. On inspecting it, I found the stock was cracked at the tang (the stock screw had come loose).

I took it to my favorite gunsmith (now ill with a brain tumor) and he repaired the crack with epoxy and brass wood screws. He also Loctited the stock bolt in place. When he did that he glass bedded a pad at the forend screw and bedded the tang recoil lug. This made a huge difference in accuracy. I would recommend the glass bedding for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned and hunted with a 1963 built M88 in 308 WIN chambering for the past 25-26 years. It is one of my favorite deer rifles, maybe my favorite. I have not messed with the trigger, but it did take some time to get to know it well. Two bits of advice from my experience - get an extra magazine or two if you can find one - amazing the difference a new mag can make if your rifle doesn’t feed well. Secondly, mine won’t shoot a 150 grain bullet (factory or hand load) worth two cents (3 MOA) but with one hand load will consistently shoot 1 MOA with a 165 grain Interlock (I use IMR 4064).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Razzouli: I to wish to welcome you to the CampFire and want to commend you on your project and the friendly spirited way you asked about it.
I only wish I could give you some pointers - I have "accurized" MANY Rifles over the last half century plus, but never a Model 88.
I have owned several and still own two.
About 30 years ago a frustrated left handed friend of mine decided to "make" an accurate Rifle based on the left handed more friendly Winchester Model 88 action.
He had the Model 88 in caliber 243 Winchester already and took the Rifle to renowned Riflesmith Jim Cloward up in NW U.S.A. and had a custom heavy stainless barrel affixed to it and some trigger work done.
Well I eventually saw it shoot at the range and it shot EXCEPTIONALLY well with Varmint weight bullets as well as Deer type Hunting projectiles.
So there is some "hope" for your project in my limited experiences/observations.
Wish I had some specifics for you.
The two Model 88's I have that I have shot the most are in 308 Winchester caliber and shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards right at and just over 1.00".
Best of luck in your venture and again welcome.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't remember if it was an 88 or a S99 now, but several decades ago I did accurize one, with good results. So it may well work for you, also.

I did not mess with the trigger, just glass bedded the stock and forearm after cleaning 30 some years of gunk out of everything, including the bore. The guy had gotten it from his father, who had bought it new, and neither had ever cleaned it. He brought it to me for "fixing" after missing a whole moose at 40 yards.... and that's not easy to do! smile

After complete disassembly and cleaning, it still shot 5" groups at 80 yards - the extent of my range at the time - and about 3 feet to the right. Glass bedding brought it down to repeatable 3 shot cloverleafs or almost, with iron sights. Drifting the rear sight all the way left and front sight all the way right took care of the rest. Looked funny, but shot accurately. And he was happy with it that way. I would have done something different had it been my rifle.....

Good luck with your project.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Long shot I know but do any of you have a model 88 stock you would sell? I'm in need of a round rear lug stock.

Thank you in advance.

218-280-0417

Scott

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks everyone for all the useful information and fun history/anecdotes. Sounds like glass bedding and finding the appropriate barrel pressure are going to be the key. We’ll see how it goes! 😁

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had an 88 in243, trigger was poor but that sucker would shoot. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. I did have problems with magazine feeding. Never did figure out the problem. Get a reliable magazine and you should be set.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Odessa
I have owned and hunted with a 1963 built M88 in 308 WIN chambering for the past 25-26 years. It is one of my favorite deer rifles, maybe my favorite. I have not messed with the trigger, but it did take some time to get to know it well. Two bits of advice from my experience - get an extra magazine or two if you can find one - amazing the difference a new mag can make if your rifle doesn’t feed well. Secondly, mine won’t shoot a 150 grain bullet (factory or hand load) worth two cents (3 MOA) but with one hand load will consistently shoot 1 MOA with a 165 grain Interlock (I use IMR 4064).

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/

Wisners will sell you a replacement magazine forModel 88's in .243 or .308 Win.for $50.00. For $60.00 you can have one with the Winchester logo. He used to sell followers and mag springs and I bought and used a couple but they are no longer listed.
If memory serves, he bought the original tooling from Winchester.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a 1961 , 88 in.308.I developed a way to accurize one. Nothing to do with the trigger though.I have sent that info to several fire members in the past . It involves bedding the recoil lug and the front screw that goes thru the stock forend and into a barrel dovetail tapped piece.

Don't want to post my email address here ,but if you can get me yours .I will send what I have written up.You can find me on Face book , Vince Mautino and message me there with your email address

Some o f the following might help you. The first one has some good info on magazines and how to get them tuned

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ceRdhLG0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsEOediSkQ&t=194s

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/26/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought the easiest thing to do to the trigger of my Post 64 Winchester 88 was to just get used to it. An afternoon of some deliberate shooting, off a bench, concentrating on feeling all the grit and clicks before the trigger broke, really helped. It was surprising to me but while the trigger pull was rough, it was very consistent. The rifle is an easy 1.5 inch rifle for three shots and to me that is good enough. The trigger is still terrible, but I don't even notice it.

Harry
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks again everybody for your contributions. The documents Saddlesore has put together are gold!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
While there were gunsmiths that would do trigger jobs and other work on 88s there are few if any now. One that used to do trigger and accurizing work is the renowned pistolsmith Dave Clements. 10 or more years ago a very close friend of mine talked Dave into doing trigger and tune up work on his 88. It improved it tremendously. When my friend passed a couple of years back I bought that 88. It's way above the other 3 or 4 I have and for several reasons will be the last to go.

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.